Super Mario World Overworld Reix "Koopa Kingdom"

Schematist

Stopped listening after 2 seconds.

The one thing that was worrying me even before listening was that you have it on youtube. Then upon it listening to the first 2 seconds I hear default default default. Really poor mixing. This is really novice sounding stuff. Nothing personal or sensational about it.

I hope you're having fun making this (and other) mixes, as I don't want to completely rain on your parade. Keep playing around and learning new tools and techniques.

from a listener perspective, I enjoyed the composition of this. Technically it's nothing special, but if you took all of the melodic ideas and really let loose as if it were a band or ensemble playing it, this could grow into something very charming.

Because there's sort of a stylistic preference on OCremix for professionally produced aesthetics(mebbeh I'm wrong), but you could fall more strongly into the "chiptune" style if you chose to start using a really authentic soundchip sound. Right now you're in the middle where it will be hard to get love from the musicians.

Oh man I need to hit the lab! thanks for the feedback as usual guys. I'm trying to leave the novice pool but that might take a little while >_<.

Be patient, I honestly wasn't happy with my skills until nearly 2 years of experience. Right then, I knew I was capable of producing something of OCR-quality or maybe even DP quality. :)

The key issue for me is that the instrument/sample choices sound sort of "default" and, for lack of a better word, "midi-ish." I guess what I really mean by that is... the brass, drums and piano sound like older/synthy/fake versions of acoustic instruments, and they sound very mechanical (little to no variation in timing or dynamics). At the same time, as Melodious Punk pointed out, I think you could naturally evolve this remix into something more in the "9-bit" or "fake-bit" genre. But if you go that route, you gotta' commit-- no "half-way decent" samples, or it'll sound like midi. I imagine it's not easy to evoke that retro feeling without it sounding... "old." Not to pick favorites, but halc (I speak of the posted remixer) might be the ideal study if you plan to take the 9-bit route. halc's sound is strongly nostalgic, yet every instrument is pristine and meticulously programmed, and the production impeccable.

Now, some things I liked: first, the ornamental turns on the high wind-ish/synth instrument in the introduction (and throughout) are nice. Those are actually what kind of reminded me of halc's work, a little bit. Second, there are lots of nice harmonies in the strings, brass and vibraphone. You handle the dissonances, passing tones and resolutions well. I love me some 7ths!

So, I think you've got a pretty good handle on the harmonic side of things. What I would focus on, moving forward, is the instrument/sample choice, followed by programming/automation (if going the 9-bit route), or performance/humanization (if going for a realistic acoustic sound), or both if you want to do a hybrid style.

Thanks for sharing!

Things sound a bit clogged and congested in the midrange. Whether you can fix it with EQ or rethink the arrangement is up to you.

I'm not a fan of the drum sounds, they sound like stock samples, and they've not been processed in an interesting way. The drum pattern's a bit spastic. You might try thinning it out and creating a more downtempo groove.