People Imprisoned by Destiny (Chrono Cross)

Base Desire

Some awesome ideas in here! I'm still trying to figure out the timing, I think the intro is in 3/4 then it transitions to 4/4, I can't totally tell where the transition is because of the intricate drumming with irregular kick pattern (this is cool - and I love multiple time sig songs). The sounds are pretty good, a bit vanilla though, and very dry. There is so much more you could do here, adding surprising things, extra timbres, layering things, automating effects etc. The intro is pretty empty, those breaks are too long to be so empty... use the empty space to surprise me with something, some super-stereo sfx or a fun background arp or something. Nice start, looking forward to how this develops!

Some awesome ideas in here! I'm still trying to figure out the timing, I think the intro is in 3/4 then it transitions to 4/4, I can't totally tell where the transition is because of the intricate drumming with irregular kick pattern (this is cool - and I love multiple time sig songs). The sounds are pretty good, a bit vanilla though, and very dry. There is so much more you could do here, adding surprising things, extra timbres, layering things, automating effects etc. The intro is pretty empty, those breaks are too long to be so empty... use the empty space to surprise me with something, some super-stereo sfx or a fun background arp or something. Nice start, looking forward to how this develops!

You are exactly right :) It changes to 4/4 timing right at 0:57 seconds. Thanks for the feedback, Lots to add and work on, but at the same time I do not want to fill it up too much, the dead points in the beginning are deliberate, but I'll for sure be adding more, probably raising the decay at least so the sound doesn't stop so abruptly, I'll add much more background little things that should hopefully help that too -

The intro has some notes on the strings that are too long, so it makes the intro feel overly long.

I think the snare is a bit buried, and the kick rhythm is a bit erratic. It's okay to be erratic as long as it's consistent, like in here. The drum rhythm there at 0:44 is strange, but it's consistent. Now try being consistent here in your track.

The soundscape is pretty bare sometimes. The pad-like backing is too centered and short-lasting, so it doesn't create the ambient soundscape that you seem to be going for here.

I think the transition from 3/4 to 4/4 is noticeable, but it could be better. I think at 1:16, it would be better if you didn't use the kicks in the transition, and just used a resonant sweep.

There might be slightly too much mid-range in your kick, not much.

Needs more ambience and fillers. :D

The intro has some notes on the strings that are too long, so it makes the intro feel overly long.

I think the snare is a bit buried, and the kick rhythm is a bit erratic. It's okay to be erratic as long as it's consistent, like in here. The drum rhythm there at 0:44 is strange, but it's consistent. Now try being consistent here in your track.

The soundscape is pretty bare sometimes. The pad-like backing is too centered and short-lasting, so it doesn't create the ambient soundscape that you seem to be going for here.

I think the transition from 3/4 to 4/4 is noticeable, but it could be better. I think at 1:16, it would be better if you didn't use the kicks in the transition, and just used a resonant sweep.

There might be slightly too much mid-range in your kick, not much.

Needs more ambience and fillers. :D

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to try and work on some of that soon.

Some really cool ideas here. However, this needs a lot of polish in the production department, and that could potentially be that as I think the rearrangement factor is strong enough for the portion of the source material used. But then again, it may work against it that only the first half of the theme was used.

I'm a little confused by what you are telling me about the source?

Some really cool ideas here. However, this needs a lot of polish in the production department, and that could potentially be that as I think the rearrangement factor is strong enough for the portion of the source material used. But then again, it may work against it that only the first half of the theme was used.

Hmm, I am considering increasing the length of the 3/4 introduction maybe to use more of the original source arrangement before going into the 4/4 section. I can't wait to make all these changes, Hopefully spice up and change up some of the instrument selection, and add more ambience/pads

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like your arrangement and how you constantly keep working on it. I have to regrab something that has been mentioned before. The Soundscape is really plain sometimes and there's something missing like a pad, string or anything that covers up the midrange without being used punctured. The Dubstep elements in your Update seem to lose alot of appearance in the flow of your mix and gettin dragged to much into the Background. I hope that helps a bit, even if its only my oppinion... keep working on it! :3

Sounds much better than before!

It seems like the vocals may have too much delay. The "feedback" is what you could decrease if you want to decrease the intensity of the reflections, and I think you should give that a try. Just enough so it's noticeable that the ambience changed; try to find a balance. Since the vocals are pretty prominent throughout the mix, it's pretty important to get those just right.

The dubstep section is pretty well done. I don't mind that the wobbles are in the back a little, as the source melody is on top and that's what you want. If the source was buried I'd be concerned. I would actually lower the volume of the wobbles and EQ up the characteristic frequencies that you find important in bringing out the most interesting parts of your wobble sounds, while also notching the EQ at clashing frequencies on other instruments.

Something else I would have done is added more variation in the wobble sounds. It sounds like just one sound throughout, so maybe you could try making varied wobble sounds that have a particularly nice flow to them. This might give you ideas. Try listening to the dubstep section at 1:45.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh great, voice clips. Whiny lead, empty soundscape, excessive bass. This is off to a great start. :D

Some source is there, both in the bass in the intro, and in the whiny lead later on. But that's about it. I might be missing something, but I'm not sold on the source usage. I guess the two-note backings and the bass are referencing the harmony, but backing chords tend to not count as source unless they're very distinct. To me, these sound more like compatible chords than necessarily source-based.

You have material for a really cool intro and break, but there's no substance, no beef in the track. The source doesn't seem to be the dominant element of the arrangement either, that's the bass. Naturally, you can make bass-heavy mixes where the bass is just a cool element and not particularly based on source, but in this case, there's just too little other stuff that ties the track to the source.

The processing on the voice clips is interesting, but I think they're too loud. I also don't like voice clips in general, but that's a more subjective crit than anything else.

I'd say no. Needs more beef and more sauce... source.