LucasArts Closed By Disney

Meteo Xavier

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

And before you do it, understand there are already a million Disney/Empire jokes already circulating. You will not be original.

I'm sad to see it go, but its already been kinda lost to me ever since they moved away from doing kickass original projects like Maniac Mansion, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol (of which I am the only living fan of), and went strictly into Lucas IP franchises only.

God rest you, gold man.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/03/disney-closes-game-publisher-lucasarts.aspx

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

Really sad to see them go...some of my fondest memories were of playing classic LucasArts point-and-clicks (many of which are fortunately now on Steam). They haven't had the best track record recently, but apparently this was an intentional business decision forcing them to make bad Star Wars games so the rest of the company would have a way to write off their losses.

My sympathies to everyone who worked for them, including our own bustatunez and Jeff Ball.

BRB breaking out my Fate of Atlantis floppies. :cry:

Edit: Crap, ninja'd already. Thread merge plz

Edited by Dhsu

They probably should've announced this on April 1st, and then no one would've believed it.

I thought it was an old April Fool's joke until I saw it was just the games studio.

Yeah, they had a run of mostly lousy games as of late (ok, a long time), but man it's sad to see them get shuttered.

I'm sad to see it go, but its already been kinda lost to me ever since they moved away from doing kickass original projects like Maniac Mansion, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol (of which I am the only living fan of), and went strictly into Lucas IP franchises only.

God rest you, gold man.

You are indeed the only living fan of Ghoul Patrol. And WAT. I TOTALLY forgot they did Zombies Ate My Neighbors. D: !!!! wahhhh

Let's not forget X-Wing and TIE-Fighter, two criminally underrated games.

You are indeed the only living fan of Ghoul Patrol.

Which pisses me off because the only thing that was wrong with the game was simply that it didn't match up to ZAMN in terms of quality, which was a damn high bar in the first place. And everyone hates it for the pure and simple reason its only a "decent" sequel instead of a "great" sequel. /off-topic rant

Battlefront III being cancelled is probably the nail in the coffin. I didn't even know it had been started / cancelled. I kept mentioning it as a joke not knowing it had a history. That's really sad. I think The Force Unleashed, the first one, was not bad at all. It had its infuriating moments, but for a company to be "liquidated" (if that's the right term here) is pretty harsh considering that there WAS a spark of quality in some of the work.

Battlefront III being cancelled is probably the nail in the coffin. I didn't even know it had been started / cancelled. I kept mentioning it as a joke not knowing it had a history. That's really sad. I think The Force Unleashed, the first one, was not bad at all. It had its infuriating moments, but for a company to be "liquidated" (if that's the right term here) is pretty harsh considering that there WAS a spark of quality in some of the work.

I thought Pandemic made those battlefront games. Now that was a studio that was closed for a reason! That Lord of the Rings Battlefront like game they made was terrible.

Wasn't Battlefront III's story that the game Haze was meant to raise money to go toward Battlefront III but then Haze broke the company?

You gotta be shitting me, Disney.

Star Wars 1313 was like, the only Star Wars game that looked like it would be good.

Oh shit. I totally forgot that was coming down the pipeline. Maaan, Disney better figure out a way to see to it that still gets released, or I will be really upset.

And yeah, the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games were way ahead of their time. I kept hoping for a "reboot" of them, or a remake.

Weird timing on this... I just finished playing Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (missed them when they originally came out) and replaying Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Mysteries of the Sith (old favorites).

It seems like a lot of the newer Star Wars games all bear the taint of the prequels in terms of style anyway, so maybe this isn't as catastrophic a loss as it could have been. Just something about the older games that seems a little more tasteful and reserved. I liked Jedi more back before they turned into anime ninjas.

Weird timing on this... I just finished playing Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (missed them when they originally came out) and replaying Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Mysteries of the Sith (old favorites).

It seems like a lot of the newer Star Wars games all bear the taint of the prequels in terms of style anyway, so maybe this isn't as catastrophic a loss as it could have been. Just something about the older games that seems a little more tasteful and reserved. I liked Jedi more back before they turned into anime ninjas.

I'm glad you mentioned those great games. I wasted my youth playing the hell out of the Dark Forces series lol. And yeah...first generation Star Wars jedi were way more cool than anime ninjas as you aptly put it >.<

(also X-Wing was awesome...never got around to the Tie fighter one though q.q)

EDIT

RIP Lucas Arts :(

While I feel quite sad that LucasArts has closed down on some level, thanks to their heydays in the 90s with a huge list of great games (many already listed in this thread) they really petered out after Jedi Academy.

Honestly, the last LucasArts game I remember liking without any sort of major quantifying "but" (disregarding the Lego Star Wars titles which were mostly developed elsewhere anyway) was Battlefront II (mostly Pandemic developed anyway), preceded by Republic Commando. ...Back in 2005.

...It's been a longer time than I thought since I played a good LucasArts game. So maybe I can kind of understand where Disney was coming from, given the patently mixed reception the Force Unleashed games got.

Oh shit. I totally forgot that was coming down the pipeline. Maaan, Disney better figure out a way to see to it that still gets released, or I will be really upset.

And yeah, the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games were way ahead of their time. I kept hoping for a "reboot" of them, or a remake.

Blastr saw that too

1313 aint dead yet. But this didn't do it any favors.

“It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we’re just looking at different models rather than internal production… They’re evaluating everything. There’s always a possibility that it [star Wars 1313] can still come out via licensing.”

Disney to Game Informer on this topic

http://www.blastr.com/2013-4-3/oh-no-disney-pulls-plug-blade-runner-ish-star-wars-1313-game

With Defiance finished up. Trion's gonna move on End Of Nations. They'll be looking for a new project given their track record this is the PERFECT project for them to pick up. If they can get around the fact that Disney owns ABC and They're currently married to NBC.