What is the most useful information you've ever been given?

mix quietly. if you can make your mix sound good when it's quiet, it will sound better when it's loud. i can hear the fizz in a can of soda while i mix. of course, this is different for everyone, but give it a try at least. see if your results arent any better

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I started doing this a month or so ago per Flexstyle's advice. I can't even begin to describe how effective of a mixing approach this is.

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I started doing this a month or so ago per Flexstyle's advice. I can't even begin to describe how effective of a mixing approach this is.

A bad habit of mine is I always do a very rough mixing job as I write music, and then I get to the end and don't feel like messing anything up! I need to break away from that...

A bad habit of mine is I always do a very rough mixing job as I write music, and then I get to the end and don't feel like messing anything up! I need to break away from that...

I know that feeling. Just remember that everytime you break something down it will always come back better when you try to do it again.

Keep a tight system of backing up your project and it's files just to get over that fear of loss then play around with it!

I guess one of the pieces of information i was given and have since taken completely for granted is freezing synths and quick bouncing recordings. Not only did I have a big problem wasting system power but I used to spend hours just recording my audio. It was a huge waste of time and forget it if there were any notes I wanted to change later on.

In addition to applying high-pass filters to (most) everything besides sub-bass/kicks, a notch at 400 Hz is good for removing mud from pads and other dense instruments.

Instead of notching the EQ at muddy frequencies, if I can, I just use an internal filter module inside the plugin I'm using for some of my instruments and notch it in there. That way, the timbre isn't as muddled. It's a much better solution than notching the EQ using an external EQ plugin since internal filter modules "use" keyfollow, unlike external EQ.

Oh another thing I know is good advice that I was given and I fell in love with this type of music too. I'm sure someone has already mentioned this but:

Study classical music and jazz. Period. Just do it.

Yep. "Classical" (we'll lump Baroque and Romantic eras in with that as well) is great for learning how to write melody, counterpoint (Bach's your man for that one) and of course there ain't no better place to learn 'bout extended harmony than Jazz.

That's why, if I could go back in time, I think I'd start with a genre other than metal and rock music. There are a lot of bands in that genre who don't really know much of anything when it comes to theory; they just play whatever sounds cool to them. Not only that, but as Kip Winger said before, highly distorted electric guitars are a lot of fun to listen to but put limitations on the instrument. Musically, you can do a lot more without the distortion. Love the music, but if I'm being honest, it's not necessarily the best place to start if one is serious about composing music and being versatile in doing so.