PRC242 - Results - Climbing, Running and Falling (Mirror's Edge)

Bundeslang

Awesome. Thanks for the writeup.

I'm listening to your remix now while reading but I had a question about your signal splits. When you say you split it three ways was it three copies of the original signal or was it a mono split and a sum? Assuming the polyphonic pad was originally stereo.

It's 3 copies of the original signal. Reason has this amazing utility machine to split audio signals that can create as many copies as you want which I'm a big fan of because it allows me to do quite a lot of stuff by starting simple. Most of my dubstep bass synths for example, are made by spliting an audio signal and manipulating it in different ways while also adding other layers of sounds.

The idea behind it was basically take the simple pad which wasn't bad but lacked movement and character, and doing the movement in the stereo spreads signals using bandpass filters. This allows me to sweep the frequency of the L and R splits idependently and at different rates and amounts by using slightly different sets of lfos, which creates a really rich stereo sound. You can do this without splitting the signal like this but this creates the problem that it loses strenght and body, which is why I also kept the raw split intact and mostly in the center.