Heroes of Might and Magic III - Snow Theme (Orchestral) [PCReMix]

Archangel

Hi, everyone.

This is my second track for the PCReMix Initiative.

This WIP has been sitting on my hard drive for quite a while now. This winter was really snowy (at least where I live), so I got inspired one day to make this. It still needs a lot of work, especially in the mixing department, but I guess it's better to get some feedback here than let the track gather dust on my computer.

I tried to experiment with some extreme equalizing and panning (just to try out something different), but I'm not really satisfied with the result. The soundscape is much too deep and imbalanced, but the overall feel of the track is OK. It reminds me of the soundtrack for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by Harry Gregson-Williams.

Here's the WIP: WIP WIP 2

And here's the original by Paul Anthony Romero: Heroes of Might and Magic III - Snow Theme

I can't believe there are almost no Heroes of Might and Magic ReMixes here on OCR. For shame.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the track.

J.

Edited by Archangel

Cool (ouch) start, the wintery feel comes across really well. I like the subtle artificial feel you've achieved with the mixing choices, compared to "natural" orchestral sound.

The feel is very light. I feel the sound/instrumentation holds together and keeps interest. I'm eager to hear what comes next! It sounds natural that the next section would be heavier. Going electronic/orchestral hybrid might well work!

--Eino

So so beautiful. I really like your source choice. HOMM 3 is another one of my all-time favourite PC games. It would be great if I could offer something more constructive but all I can say is that it sounds fantastic like all the other stuff you do. Your music always makes me want to go back to the days of playing in Orchestras. Awesome stuff bud and don't leave us waiting too long for some more :P

Thanks for the encouraging comments, everyone! I'm not happy with this track at all, to be honest, but it's good practice nonetheless.

I've made some minor adjustments to the first part and added another section with improvized piano melodies and some placeholder heartbeat percussion. I'm trying to find something that fits the tone of the track, but nothing I've tried so far works. I'd like to use something a little more soft/electronic (like Eino suggested), but my libraries consist mainly of ethnic and orchestral percussion, which doesn't fit this at all.

Anyway, here's the second update: WIP 2 (The first post has been updated as well.)

Thanks for listening!

Hehe, sounds like what you have so far isn't quite what you aspire to, but it works for me quite well. I like the simple heart-beat. One thought I had was that if you added a "definite" lead/solo instrument to the last part, with some sort of a clear "melodic statement" for it to play, (plus perhaps a short coda at the end), it could work as a complete structure. Just some scattered thoughts from me!

--Eino