MRI 1-1 Musical Replacement Initiative - Season One, Round One (Round 1 Complete. Results Inside.)

Draconiator

In the next round, could you make it clearer how to vote? I was under the impression that everyone voted for one person as well - but it's the 1st choice/2nd choice/3rd choice thing right?

I will do that. I had an IM that wasn't sure on the voting process.

Edit: I was thinking, and my mind wandered over to RMwtS compo, and how MindWanderer puts extra little things in his compo to keep it interesting. Like this round he has "Be based on any source, and be done in a style of music that seems to be the only thing you can get on the radio when you're in the middle of nowhere. In my personal experience, that's country western, mariachi, and contemporary Christian music. You may base this choice on your own experiences."

Would you guys like it if I did something similar with this one, only with certain aspects of the source preserved? like if a source has a solo in it, you do a largely original, but with that same solo in it. I was thinking of this just now when I was listening to the Round 2 source...

Edited by Draconiator

You could mix things up by sometimes removing the genre restriction. Take this image for example, "Try to capture the feeling that this world portrays”. (Example)

200px-CCG3.png

In a sense this does provide a restriction/mix-up, because I doubt that someone would make an Aquatic Ambience type song for a Dry Dry Desert (Paper Mario 64) Picture.

Any genre can describe something, so you could say that we have to capture the feeling of something, with any genre we’d like to use.

I think that I have what I’m trying to say together now. Themes, cut scenes, credits, and intro songs could have a genre restriction/instrumentation limitation. While worlds, courses, scenery, and landscapes could be “free range”, as long as we capture the feeling of the place.

What do you guys think about this idea?

Edit: If there’s a theme or cut scene you could try to find it on Youtube or something and post it here. So that we can literally write to it.

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

My vote is to keep things largely as is, but perhaps to allow for some minor additions or variations.

Minor additions or variations?? Come on ecto, throw out some ideas :).

I like the way that things are currently run as well. Did some of my ideas seem like a drastic change?? To clarify, each idea could be used during one round or something.

I wanna say there was a contest that did this once before?

Really?? The more that I think about this video idea, the more complicated that it seems.

All in all, a RMWtS format would work.

It could be done like this.

(RMWtS) “Your source must be A. or B.”

(MRI) “Your genre must be (Trance, etc.), or create the feeling of (a desert, etc.)”. All based off of the source that Draconiator provides us with.

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

Too late to ask for it to be changed now but, in that case wouldn't it have made more sense to just make the rounds longer? Would give people more flexibility than just spacing the rounds out IMO

I totally agree with this. I had a couple ideas for the first round but didn't have any time until last weekend. By that time, we were in between rounds. :???: