Maverick Hunter: Mega Man's FPS almost-reboot

DarkeSword

I get this is supposed to be a gritty reboot, but this really feels less like Mega Man and more like Generic Grey Shooter #42863. Don't think we really need any more of those, so maybe it's a good thing Capcom dropped this one.

Agreed. Although the concept of a MegaMan FPS is pretty awesome, just not like this. The game didn't look/feel like MegaMan. For example, the Metroid Prime series still felt like Metroid.

I had a thought last month that if Capcom ever tried to resurrect Mega Man it would end up being a totally different type of game compared to the older titles, more of a reboot like DmC or Bomberman Act Zero since that's been the trend lately. This recent article proves that Capcom was thinking along those lines even before the series and this game was canned. What's so hard to understand?

Honestly, this looks a whole hell of a lot like Vanquish, an Action/FPS that does most of the things that are in those videos. Check that game out if you thought this was interesting.

That game looks interesting, but I fail to see anything in it that makes it a Mega Man game. A cool idea? Sure, but it's not Mega Man in the slightest. Jumping in first person is really hard (Mirror's Edge and Quantum Conundrum taught us that), and the dashing and climbing is used like the homing in Sonic, meaning its nothing like how it works in 2-D. The use of enemy weapons is no different from every other FPS where you kill the bad guy and take his gun. The whole gritty realism just doesn't work for a series that is planted firmly in Astroboy-ish anime action.

Edited by Cerrax

To put another perspective on this:

A lot of people are saying "It doesn't look/feel like Mega Man."

Have you played any of the Battle Network games? Did you enjoy them? Did they look/feel like Mega Man?

They seemed like the furthest thing from Mega Man to me, and it didn't make them any worse of a game for it.

Don't get me wrong: I'm 100% sure that Capcom canned this for the right reason. As cool as it looks, people wouldn't buy it simply because "it's not what they had in mind for a Mega Man title", and it would have absolutely nothing to do wit the quality of the game itself.

That, in my opinion, is a damn shame.

To put another perspective on this:

A lot of people are saying "It doesn't look/feel like Mega Man."

Have you played any of the Battle Network games? Did you enjoy them? Did they look/feel like Mega Man?

They seemed like the furthest thing from Mega Man to me, and it didn't make them any worse of a game for it.

Don't get me wrong: I'm 100% sure that Capcom canned this for the right reason. As cool as it looks, people wouldn't buy it simply because "it's not what they had in mind for a Mega Man title", and it would have absolutely nothing to do wit the quality of the game itself.

That, in my opinion, is a damn shame.

What's a damn shame is that game companies would rather slap a well-known franchise name on something simply to sell copies rather than venture into a new IP that could actually use the gameplay to its advantage.

They do actually. Battle Network and Starforce still carry on the anime aesthetic of other Mega Man games.

To me, Battle Network has always just been Capcom's take on a Pokemon-esque/Action RPG franchise (except you have 1, changing, pokemon rather than 100 different ones). It has always looked and felt more "Pokemon" to me than "Mega Man" stylistically. At it's essence it is vaguely connected to the rest of the series at best.

What's a damn shame is that game companies would rather slap a well-known franchise name on something simply to sell copies rather than venture into a new IP that could actually use the gameplay to its advantage.

This is actually the most true thing. I've always felt the entirety of the Street Fighter 3 series was a fighting game that Capcom developed, and then decided to throw Street Fighter characters into at the last minute to make it marketable. Had it not been a "Street Fighter" game with the few recurring characters it did have, Street Fighter III Third Strike would still be a good game, but would it have been successful?

RememberMe-Capcom-600x369.jpg

remember-me-city-650x0.jpg

For what its worth, when Mega Man FPS was actually finished and refined and all that, it would have been amazing, probably brought the Mega Man series out of its shameful stasis.

Let's not forget Capcom's attempts at new IPs. We'll see whether people care about innovation when the sales figures come out.

They may not be developing Remember Me but they're publishing it.. depends where you draw the line, I consider it taking a chance on a new IP to some extent

Edited by Brandon Strader

Brandon, I have already pre-ordered Remember Me, it looks fantastic. I'm not singling out Capcom, all game companies use pre-existing franchises to sell new gameplay models (Super Mario 2 anyone?). I would rather play the same game with a new IP rather than shoehorn a franchise that doesn't fit in there.

And in case you missed it, ocre and myself both mentioned how similar this game looks to Vanquish, so if it resonates with you, definitely give that ORIGINAL IP the credit it deserves.

Edited by Cerrax

I would buy it. Sure I would hope the music to be a little less "creepy" and to have his bullets be more like his shots in the other games, but I would totally but it if they were to put the project back in the spinner. Also, in defense of that video, the music and stages in Legends were gritty and usually extremely creepy. Though, like some of you, I would prefer a rock and techno mix like the X games, but with a more "modern" feel. I think it would work.

this looks like every run-of-the-mill shooter ever.

putting mega man on the box really *is* enough for some people, at least until they can find a reason to say it's not 'real' mega man and then they can complain about capcom again

mega man has worse fans than sonic saying it up front