Any Serious Speed Runners on OCR?

Phonetic Hero

I've always found speed running fun to watch, and when you find a game you like to run, really really enjoyable. Anyone else speed run any games?

I've been running Super Metroid more and more seriously since a little before MAGFest (I only do Any% runs as of right now). I'm getting better, though the process is frustrating. I'm consistently sub 20 minute power bombs, but I'm working a new strat for Draygon and keep dying on him; I'd be around 35 minutes after killing him if I got there. My best run is 46 minutes by the game clock, but I didn't time it in real time... my estimation is about 1:03-1:05 (which would put me at about 51st-54th on Deer Tier, which, once I get set up to record my runs, I'll submit to)

If anyone wants to have a Super Metroid race, I'd love for you to challenge me :D We could do it over Skype, and I'm getting more and more convinced I need to set up on twitch.tv for live streaming of speed runs. Jehm Faulking (who runs Insert Coin Theater on twitch) and I have raced before, and have talked about doing live streamed races.

I'd also like to get into speed running other games.. any suggestions there? I've been thinking more and more about Pokemon Yellow, it looks like a pretty fun one to run (and isn't quite as long as most of the other games, sitting around 2 hours for top tier runners). What think?

Edit: Just successfully killed Draygon right at 35, but died just before Ridley at about 44

Edited by Phonetic Hero

not so much a runner as i am a consistent follower of both sda and tasvideos

back when unmod was still around we used to have a speedrun competition thread. people would sign up to compete and the winner of the first game would get to choose the next one to be run

that was a lot of fun. i recall coming pretty close when we ran comix zone, and closer still when we ran felix the cat

Edited by Red Shadow

I recently got started on learning the routes for Amnesia: The Dark Descent Any% SS runs. It's tough, but so much fun!

The WR for this is sitting somewhere around 27-28 minutes if I'm correct, I haven't learned the whole route yet but if anybody wants a good game to run, Amnesia is quick and relatively easy to learn :)

Every once in a while, I think about doing 100% runs on Super Mario Bros. It's one of those games where every fraction of a second counts, though, and some of the jumps that could save a couple tenths are soooo hard to pull off consistently, and the last jump is part luck.

As for next games, (and I'm actually being serious here) you should consider Battletoads. If you have the patience to play levels repeatedly to perfect small errors, you'll be surprised that the game itself isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be. But people are still always impressed if you can beat it, so on the way to mastering the game, you would definitely join that club.

I've always found speed running fun to watch, and when you find a game you like to run, really really enjoyable. Anyone else speed run any games?

I've been running Super Metroid more and more seriously since a little before MAGFest (I only do Any% runs as of right now). I'm getting better, though the process is frustrating. I'm consistently sub 20 minute power bombs, but I'm working a new strat for Draygon and keep dying on him; I'd be around 35 minutes after killing him if I got there. My best run is 46 minutes by the game clock, but I didn't time it in real time... my estimation is about 1:03-1:05 (which would put me at about 51st-54th on Deer Tier, which, once I get set up to record my runs, I'll submit to)

If anyone wants to have a Super Metroid race, I'd love for you to challenge me :D We could do it over Skype, and I'm getting more and more convinced I need to set up on twitch.tv for live streaming of speed runs. Jehm Faulking (who runs Insert Coin Theater on twitch) and I have raced before, and have talked about doing live streamed races.

I'd also like to get into speed running other games.. any suggestions there? I've been thinking more and more about Pokemon Yellow, it looks like a pretty fun one to run (and isn't quite as long as most of the other games, sitting around 2 hours for top tier runners). What think?

Edit: Just successfully killed Draygon right at 35, but died just before Ridley at about 44

Yeah We should. I made one myself and my current record is under 40 minutes. I learned so much trick by playing this game plus the hacked one. We could teach each other tricks ;)

Ari did a speed run of Metal Slug 5:

You can find it here:

It wasn't accepted to SDA because they read the OCR encyclopedia dramatica article and took it seriously when he offered them a better website cuz they thought OMGZ hacks. Dunno if its the fastest time anymore but it was at the time it was made.

Edited by Monobrow

I wanna try speed running some time. I've probably got a few that would be decent candidates for it on SNES and Genesis, but I don't think I'm good enough at any! I could definitely speed run the first half of Shinobi 3, but the rest gets more difficult for me. Perhaps one day.

Yeah man, if you can get more comfortable with the game, I certainly recommend it. I've been working on speed running Super Metroid (though much more casually till recently) for probably 3 or 4 years, and I'm just now starting to get good at it.

I recently got started on learning the routes for Amnesia: The Dark Descent Any% SS runs. It's tough, but so much fun!

I'll definitely have to look into that!

Every once in a while, I think about doing 100% runs on Super Mario Bros. It's one of those games where every fraction of a second counts, though, and some of the jumps that could save a couple tenths are soooo hard to pull off consistently, and the last jump is part luck.

As for next games, (and I'm actually being serious here) you should consider Battletoads. If you have the patience to play levels repeatedly to perfect small errors, you'll be surprised that the game itself isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be. But people are still always impressed if you can beat it, so on the way to mastering the game, you would definitely join that club.

EDIT: lol, those piranha plant jumps... holy shit

I may have to look into that as well... though what I've seen (which I promise is VERY little, so I could be really misguided) of BT looks more tedious than fun.

Hit sub 11 minute Varia (getting much more consistent on the Kraid quick-kill glitch) and about 18:30 on power bombs tonight, which was pretty huge for me :D

Yeah man, if you can get more comfortable with the game, I certainly recommend it. I've been working on speed running Super Metroid (though much more casually till recently) for probably 3 or 4 years, and I'm just now starting to get good at it.

Didn't know you were doing it for THAT long, that's commitment!

I may have some time soon once I'm done school, I'm down for some speedy retro gaming.

Didn't know you were doing it for THAT long, that's commitment!

I may have some time soon once I'm done school, I'm down for some speedy retro gaming.

Haha, it's all about figuring out routes and tricks and learning the gamut of advanced techniques and physics exploits the game has. Super Metroid has been one of my favorite games for... actually, now that I think about it, I recall it being my very *first* video game experience. I was probably 4, and it was set up as a SNES demo in a... Best Buy, I would assume, and my brother and I played it and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I hadn't played again until around the time I was 13 or 14, and I bought a SNES basically just for MMX, Super Mario World, and of course, Super Metroid

So I've been playing casually for a long time, then wanted to learn more of the game and make it more interesting after a while. Then I realized I could take it further and compete with other really good speed runners when I first saw someone stream a Super Metroid speed run about a year ago. So it's a long process, but I love the game so much that it's well worth it in my opinion. Running a game you have intense nostalgia with might help the process along too, because it's very hard for it to get old. Keep that in mind if you want to start running games, because otherwise it gets VERY frustrating VERY quickly

Ari did a speed run of Metal Slug 5:

You can find it here:

It wasn't accepted to SDA because they read the OCR encyclopedia dramatica article and took it seriously when he offered them a better website cuz they thought OMGZ hacks. Dunno if its the fastest time anymore but it was at the time it was made.

the run and this little backstory behind it are both great

btw im gonna quote this into the speedrun thread over at unmod if thats cool, i know antipode will get a kick out of it

I've tried a few speedruns for the hell of a number of years ago. Nothing too drastic (no long RPGs or anything), but just seeing how fast I could get through Shadow of the Beast, The Terminator, and games like that, which are generally short to begin with.

Yeah, no records were smashed, but I still did pretty well in getting both games beaten in under 15 minutes (Terminator), and a little over that (SotB).

I just did a 100% speed run of metroid prime. I got it done it about 6 hours. Waaay longer than some people can do, but I was happy with it. Not really much for speed running unless I know the game by heart.

I also tried to do a speed run of Final Fantasy 9. If you get to the end of the game in under 12 hours, you get the Excalibur 2 sword, the best weapon in the game. I got it, but to be honest it wasnt worth it. I then started a file with the goal of beating the game with all of the sidequests completed. Now THAT I enjoy with that game!

...Ok, except for the Tetra Master card game. Getting all the cards is a bitch.

Any good resources on speed running Super Metroid?

I've learned about 99% of what I know about speed running SM from watching other people play (people who are REALLY REALLY GOOD). I first found Garrison's run at about 51 minutes a few years back... and for some reason, Super Metroid speed running had gained a TON of traction lately, and so rediscovered Garrison recently. He streams on twitch (Garrison_tt is his twitch handle, I *highly* recommend watching him), and he and Kottpower have been trading the world record for Any% runs over the past few months (it's traded hands about 4-5 times now, to give you an idea of how fiercely these guys are running these days).

Zoast also streams frequently on twitch, he's got the record for Low% Ice, Low% Speed Booster, Reverse Boss Order, 100% Collection Rate, and 3rd place for Any%, as well as 1st place for the beginning-to-Power-Bombs split... if you couldn't tell, he's also another good runner to watch.

If you're looking to get better at the game and learn techniques, I really recommend watching people stream or just watching youtube runs by any of those guys.

Fun fact, Lobosjr, who's 25th on Deer Tier Any% runs, is also really good friends and band mates with Brandon L Hood of the chiptune scene (I went and hung out with B-Hood and Theory of N for my album release, great fun). It's weird to know that these people actually exist, and having a connection with them is possible :P