Any Serious Speed Runners on OCR?

Phonetic Hero

The best hacks are: Super Metroid Redesign (I own it in real CART)

And

Super metroid: Zero Mission.

I haaaaaated the redesign... too much tedium and needlessly changed physics. It didn't feel at all like a Metroid game to me, least of all Super Metroid. Haven't played the other, but I've seen clips and it looks pretty cool

I haaaaaated the redesign... too much tedium and needlessly changed physics. It didn't feel at all like a Metroid game to me, least of all Super Metroid. Haven't played the other, but I've seen clips and it looks pretty cool

It was a challenge for sure for redesign. But worth it. I loved it since I'm a big fan of super metroid. The game sure have it's flaws but it's not that worst. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty cool.

Zero mission is easier to play. But to have 100% it is really tough. NEarly impossible without save stating. Still really really enjoyable. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

It's also the first thing I tell girls at parties.

I wouldn't judge you if this was a serious statement. An SM64 speedrun actually looks impressive as fuck. It's very showy, with all these acrobatic flips, wall jumps, and shortcuts.

Anyone who hasn't watched an SM64 speedrun, you must.

Edited by Modus

I wouldn't judge you if this was a serious statement. An SM64 speedrun actually looks impressive as fuck. It's very showy, with all these acrobatic flips, wall jumps, and shortcuts.

Anyone who hasn't watched an SM64 speedrun, you must.

Completely joking, but I agree.

a good example.

So far I haven't gotten too much into the flashy jumps and such, but that's what i'm working on to cut down on minutes.

Completely joking, but I agree.
a good example.

So far I haven't gotten too much into the flashy jumps and such, but that's what i'm working on to cut down on minutes.

My best friend is doing the same thing, it's not too hard to whittle your time down in a few weeks from what I've seen. He started at about the same, and not long ago hit a 26 minute run

After a short break I picked Super Metroid back up and I hit 1:00:08 at his place last night, SO CLOSE to getting sub 1 hr. If I hadn't bungled this ONE shinespark... anyway, 0:43 by the game clock, not bad

EDIT: TOTALLY hit sub 1 hr. Was a minute behind at one point, and made up for it and THEN an extra 30 seconds

Edited by Phonetic Hero

So I've been playing SMB a bit again. So, apparently those plant jumps I mentioned earlier are not even the hardest jumps in the game. The trickiest part is probably the glitch he pulls off in 4-2 (vid here, again). The jumps in 1-2 (at 0:52 in the vid) are the only other one I have not managed to pull off once. There's also a window of only a couple frames to jump the goombas in 8-1 (at 2:34).

Main reason I'm posting is because I did just have flawless run on 8-1 that I'm pretty excited about. Clock read 200 as I hit the flag. :grin: It looked pretty much identical to 8-1 in the video. Plenty more work to do, but it's starting to look doable. (World record, probably not...the margin for improvement between the current record and a perfect TAS is only about 30-some frames. Nuts!)

I don't know about taking it so seriously, but I love to do Super Metroid speedruns. My current route is dangerous though and if we were to race I'd likely lose because of it.

i know someone who could beat that game in like 2 minutes slower than the record time. i dont even know how its done.

History stuff: I had a bunch of top times in Crash Team Racing, like ten years ago when that was a thing. Got into running Super Metroid a couple years ago but after I reached my personal goal of sub 1:20:00 any% and sub 2 hours 100% I kind of just swore off it.

Trying to SS the last level in Dustforce (

) before I work on speedrunning the game. In terms of notable times I've got a few top 10s but I really want to work up consistency enough for races. I'd love to eventually have top 20 times on every stage, but that's a long way off.