Good ways to "get involved" here

nOkbient

I'm relatively new here. Not too sure about who anyone is and all that. What are some of the best ways you've gotten to know people and get attention on the site? Is it harder for "newbies" to get involved in compotitions and projects? How do you make a name for yourself here, I guess...

It is harder for newbs to get involved in things because they're new. No one knows them and their talent(s) yet. So start showing off!

I participated in several compos and improved VASTLY as a result. People started to take notice of my music, and now I've been asked to be on several album projects, both remix and original. So that definitely helped. Another way is to go onto the workshop forum and provide feedback for peoples' remixes. Getting to know some people on the forum and then chatting with them via facebook, skype, email, etc. worked for me, too. I've made a ton of e-friends on here who have become real life friends, and that's just the shit. A lot of people hang out in the mIRC channel, but I haven't spent a lot of time in there.

And don't forget that you're from Indy which hosts a ton of OCRfolk! :P

The best way to get involved in a music-making community is to make music and share it. We've got two subforums for that, for vgm remixes and for everything else.

When it comes to projects, it completely depends on the project director. Maybe the project director just wants remixers from the first few years of ocr, or maybe the ones that joined about the same time as he did. Maybe he wants only established electronic remixers, or only wants ppl from outside of ocr. Or, usually, he starts by inviting some ppl he knows and whom he knows makes ocr-level music, and then opens the project for anyone to apply. Obviously, he can still say no to applicants, if he doesn't think they're good enough yet, if their work doesn't match the style and direction of the project, or if he arbitrarily doesn't feel like having them on board. Most project leads aren't such asshats, tho, and usually welcome anyone that can make stuff that fits the project direction and expected quality. So when it comes to remix projects, check out the project thread and/or shoot a PM to the project director and ask.

As for competitions, it depends on the type of competition. The Mega Man compos DarkeSword has run has had a fixed number of entrants, because of how the compo elimination works. Other compos are open to any number of ppl. Just check out the info on each compo and see when you can join.

Anyone that's made a track enjoys reading what ppl thought of it. If it's an official, posted ocremix remix, you can leave comments in the track's review thread. If it's in one of the aforementioned subforums, it might be a work in progress, where feedback might help make the track better. Besides, interest in a track tends to motivate new remixers, so if you have nothing to say besides that you like an unfinished track, even that can be helpful. If you have some constructive criticism, that's also appreciated. Even better if you have both.

Beyond that, ppl enjoy talking about stuff. Games, music, and a whole lot of other things. Join a discussion on something you like. Just do stuff and get to know ppl here. :D

Is it harder for "newbies" to get involved in compotitions and projects? How do you make a name for yourself here, I guess...

Not at all. I jumped into the WCRG last year, and literally knew basically no one on the site. The experience has led me to meet some great friends/musical allies (ectogemia among them <3 ), as well as forcing me to really, REALLY improve as an arranger/composer/producer. I *highly* recommend joining the competitions when you can if there's one that interests you. The gauntlet-styled compos are great because no one gets eliminated, and you're on a team so you get to know your teammates a lot better. I was on a team with Rozovian and SuperiorX, and I'm friends with both now, as well as working on project mixes for the two of them and staffing a project as talent eval for SupeX (which I should stop slacking on :P )

Basically, take any opportunity you can to meet people, and take every opportunity to WRITE WRITE WRITE. The WIP forum is a great place to start letting people know you exist and what you're capable of, and honestly I'd pound out a couple tracks for feedback in the WIP forum before entering a compo. The next WCRG is at least a couple months away though, so you've got some time. Hope to hear more from you soon :D

EDIT: Quite the slice of luck that both Rozo and ecto posted here, heh

Talking from experience, to me it's difficult to make first impressions just because you're a new person. But like SnappleMan said, make music and make great use of whatever talent you have to give.

Sure, I may be a little more distanced than most - I'm in the UK for one thing, I live further away than the other three UK remixers that have handled the previous two OCR conventions in this country (WillRock / Fishy / ProtoDome), and my personality has made me really difficult to be approached otherwise. But you don't have to be everyone's BFF just to draw attention, as long as you are willing to put great time and effort into your hobbies and interests. That said, use the workshop often; offer instrument services for projects yourself; maybe even have a secondary skill on the side (like with me with video editing). It may take some time, but you will get some good contacts this way, and what's better is that they could even help you keep improving your skills, or at least that's what I found.

Not much I can add here, but in terms of competitions, I highly recommend ReMixing With the Stars. It's a competition geared specifically towards beginners. As the name suggests, each "novice" is paired with a more experienced remixer, or "star". The novices are the primary remixers, with the "star" providing advice. Well, you can read the description. It's a great way to not only improve your skills, but meet new people as well, and possibly new friends.

I was told that to become a part of OCR you had to have a high post count. That lead to a few solid years of less than desirable posts, but ultimately worked. You could also make music. I wish you luck in your endeavors. :-)

I can vouch for that. :)

Also, pick any well known OCremixer, anyone that is waaaayy above your level. In fact the further the better, and just rip on them non stop. Not only is it a great way to draw attention to yourself but it might help you progress faster too!

That's what I did to BS over at DoD and look where it got me! I actually beat him one month last year!!

Seriously though just keep a steady flow of work in the WIP forums and show up at MAGfest at the start of each year. There are also a few competitions that are run within the forums here like Remixing with the stars and the PRC. Check them out and good luck with your remixing!

Im really glad this thread exists. I would agree with compos. I didnt even think i had the skill to finish a whole song when i first started them and ive learned quite alot even in the short span since i first started! You could also join some of the various gaming servers hosted by different members. you could also share your gamertags and such with others.no better way to bond than shooting at each other... virtually of course.

I also highly recommend the "stevos guide to newbies" thread, alot of good general advice and some good motivational stories.

aaaand you can also post birthday threads, i think that helps. maybe?