"Jolly Roger's Submarine" ~ Banjo-Tooie 'Atlantis' ReMix

nOkbient

I don't know what came over me. I just simply had the urge to make this. Also, I've always wanted this track to meld with the Grunty Industries theme, so I put a dash of that in. I still need an ending, add some panning magic, and maybe put in some of your suggestions. For only my second ReMix attempt though, I'd say it's coming along nicely :)

WIP:

(No longer active)http://soundcloud.com/nokbient/banjo-tooie-atlantis-theme

UPDATE! I finished it! Here's the finished version. This is one of my favorite games, so I want to know if I've done it justice! Also, I send this to Grant Kirkhope and he said he loved it! He retweeted it too though, so I know he means it heh!

Finished ReMix: https://soundcloud.com/nokbient/jolly-rogers-submarine-banjo if I do anything more to it it'll just be de-muddying up some sounds and maybe toning down the delay a bit on the xylophone. I did some fun stuff with this, including recording a plucked string off of a zither from the 1800's, and recording the electric organ! I also made some of the percussion sounds myself.

Source:

UPDATE 2!

Nothing big, but I attempted to do a mix-down of this to de-muddy up some of the sounds. I decreased a lot of reverb and took out some of the low frequencies as well as boosted some of the highs. Not sure what I think about it though. I feel like I messed some stuff up? Tell me what you think; I'm new to mixing. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk2pi1cis4o4k7i/Atlantis.wav

Any and all feedback is appreciated :)

Edited by nOkbient

Way cool remix! Here's my thoughts:

I'm digging that bass, it sounds like something Mazedude would use.

The high end resonance can be harsh at times. It's really noticeable in the first 45 seconds of the song. Also the section between 1:05 and 1:08.

As timaeus said, the instruments have a bit too much reverb. Things overall seem muddy. I think mostly in the mid to high frequencies, the low end sounds fine to me.

I like the break down starting at 1:18, very nice. Incorporating Grunty Industries was a cool idea.

By the way, there's currently an ongoing Banjo-Kazooie project. I think you should consider joining! Click my signature if you're interested (it'll link you to the recruitment thread).

Edited by Cash

Yep, I hear the high end resonance too. If you fix the reverb, you'll hear it even more. It's mainly in the intro arp. Don't put reverb on individual instruments while soloed, put reverb and evaluate the remix as a whole.

Alright. Yeah, I tend to get a bit carried away with reverb. Anything else that should be "de-verbed?"

Oh, also: that high resonance peak is NOT because on an effect. That's that zither I recorded. For some reason it sounds all peak-y, but it's really not. Not sure how to fix that without re-recording it (which I really don't want to do...).

Thanks for the feedback! If I fixed that though, how good is the overall composition? Do you think it would stand a chance against the judges?

Alright. Yeah, I tend to get a bit carried away with reverb. Anything else that should be "de-verbed?"

Oh, also: that high resonance peak is NOT because on an effect. That's that zither I recorded. For some reason it sounds all peak-y, but it's really not. Not sure how to fix that without re-recording it (which I really don't want to do...).

Thanks for the feedback! If I fixed that though, how good is the overall composition? Do you think it would stand a chance against the judges?

I'm not sure what has too much reverb, since there's quite a bit, but I believe some pads and leads have too much.

The high resonance can be reduced with simple EQ. Just find where the arp is loudest on the EQ with the skinniest reading and do a band notch filter at that frequency.

The arrangement is great, and I think it would pass based on arrangement.

I love the percussion here too, around 1:30. Those samples...where do you find them? Or did you make them? Is that what is considered "industrial" sound?

Really cool remix

Those are just samples I took (Vengeance pack 1) and REALLY messed with 'em. Stretched, reversed, pitch shifted, and most of them have some weird EQ and filtering as well :) I also made a couple of them.

• 3 weeks later...

The drums are a little quiet in comparison to everything else, the snare and kick in particular. See if you can find a better bass at 0:09. That sounds kind of like a vocaloid bass of some sort. Maybe an FM bass might work better.

Can you try EQing out the frequencies you don't need in certain instruments? Try thinking about what instruments for which you want certain characteristics to come through, and EQ it so that everything other than those characteristics is not very audible, and that can leave room for other instruments in those frequencies.

It's less reverbed, but it still sounds muddy. Can you try to get some better stereo separation? Try widening some sounds or panning some sounds. It sounds like many of them are panned center or near center.

Here's an example of some stereo separation. There are two different pads. One is panned center, one is wider. The wider one plays second and fourth. Notice how the bass is more controlled and more headroom is available?

https://www.box.com/s/218eczoxl79gt2ysj6ii

Edited by timaeus222

It's less reverbed, but it still sounds muddy. Can you try to get some better stereo separation? Try widening some sounds or panning some sounds. It sounds like many of them are panned center or near center.

Here's an example of some stereo separation. There are two different pads. One is panned center, one is wider. The wider one plays second and fourth. Notice how the bass is more controlled and more headroom is available?

Timaeus222? What do you mean by "panned wider"??

Nice song by the way, nOkbient.

Edit: I know that you can pan to the left and right, but do you mean something else by "wider"?

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

The drums are a little quiet in comparison to everything else, the snare and kick in particular. See if you can find a better bass at 0:09. That sounds kind of like a vocaloid bass of some sort. Maybe an FM bass might work better.

Can you try EQing out the frequencies you don't need in certain instruments? Try thinking about what instruments for which you want certain characteristics to come through, and EQ it so that everything other than those characteristics is not very audible, and that can leave room for other instruments in those frequencies.

Ok.

Hmmm, everything is already EQd.

With regards to panning, you're 100% right. I'm not too good about panning. Almost all of them are panned to center. I'll also put some stereo separation on some of the sounds. Thanks for the feedback :)

Timaeus222? What do you mean by "panned wider"??

Nice song by the way, nOkbient.

Edit: I know that you can pan to the left and right, but do you mean something else by "wider"?

You can do that with creative delay. FL Studio's Stereo Enhancer and Stereo Shaper can do that really well. You can even pan to the 'back' with Stereo Enhancer. ;)

Edited by timaeus222