Bravely Default to be Bravely Localized [3DS]

ocre

It would appear that Nintendo of America have stepped in to publish SquareEnix's 'Bravely Default: Flying Fairy' 3DS RPG (spiritual sequel to the DS RPG 'Final Fantasy Four Heroes of Light') in North America (and I think Europe too).

Awesome. And I don't get to say this often enough but: Thanks NOA!

The downside is we have to wait til 2014 for it to come out.

I suppose that I can now upgrade the 3DS's status from "floundering in the water" to "doing ok."

I'm glad to see another game I'd like to play come to the handheld - you have to remember that all these games were released during especially poor sales months in the U.S., which meant that no publisher in their right mind wanted to bring them over. If big companies support the machine, it means that it's recognized as having a decent-sized userbase.

FF Heroes of Light was too easy - I hope this one is tougher!

Now, if someone would be kind enough to finally bring

over to the states... Edited by EC2151

I suppose that I can now upgrade the 3DS's status from "floundering in the water" to "doing ok."

I'm glad to see another game I'd like to play come to the handheld - you have to remember that all these games were released during especially poor sales months in the U.S., which meant that no publisher in their right mind wanted to bring them over. If big companies support the machine, it means that it's recognized as having a decent-sized userbase. Thus "doing ok."

Soooo pretty much the usual life progression of every gaming platform ever.

It would appear that Nintendo of America have stepped in to publish SquareEnix's 'Bravely Default: Flying Fairy' 3DS RPG (spiritual sequel to the DS RPG 'Final Fantasy Four Heroes of Light') in North America (and I think Europe too).

Awesome. And I don't get to say this often enough but: Thanks NOA!

The downside is we have to wait til 2014 for it to come out.

Well it's not all that bad.

The extremely bizarre percentile of Americans that own a European 3DS can import it because it's out in 2013 there.

Though yeah excited for this ^_^.

Soooo pretty much the usual life progression of every gaming platform ever.

The 3DS is in dire need of an Advance Wars, though.

The fact that Nintendo of America is publishing the game themselves though (as opposed to action on Square's part) does speak to an effort on Nintendo's part to bring games to the system in light of sales that are nowhere near as explosive as the DS's.

...in light of sales that are nowhere near as explosive as the DS's.

Wrong.

"In an interview, Fils-Aime says Nintendo has sold 8 million 3DS devices in North America since launching in 2011, ahead of the original DS' pace of 7 million during the same period of time." Consider that we're already 6 months beyond the 2-year point at which Nintendo released the DS Lite variation of the original DS (where sales saw a huge uptick.

Also, the system has been hugely successful in Japan and has sold 10.5 million units as of February 2013, so North American sales are a bit behind (also consider that the system launched a month earlier in Japan - and they've already received many titles that we haven't; notably the uber-successful Animal Crossing New Leaf). LAST YEAR, the system outperformed the PlayStation 3 for Lifetime to Date sales in Japan.

Animal Crossing is coming in June. Pokémon is coming in October.

I don't see 3DS having any trouble gaining traction this year.

Now the Wii U on the other hand... (though I'm optimistic it will become a very attractive system eventually as the 3DS has, today's announcement of an August release date for Pikmin 3 leaves me frustrated at Nintendo's handling of the launch lineup.)

Edited by ocre

Well, I don't think you can necessarily correlate the years on a year-one-vs-year-one and year-two-vs-year-two basis, if that makes sense. I see it more as DS sales peaking around a phenomenal high, and for the 3DS to succeed this high with a achingly noticeable rocky start - well, I think it's more than just "the system needs time", because after all, it doesn't take Apple any trouble whatsoever to astronomically outsell its prior iterations of products. Why this wasn't the case with the 3DS I think bespeaks to the problems it had with its launch - which again, is why we saw all those cancellations and delays (like MegaMan Legends 3, some sega stuff, and on topic, Bravely Default): bigwigs weren't confident in the successor to the greatest handheld since the original gameboy! Nothing to sneeze at!

I still think it worth pointing out that Square isn't stepping up to localize this, Nintendo is, which still to me speaks of a hesitancy on big companies' parts to support the 3DS. Which means there is still much "traction" to be gained.

Edited by EC2151

Well, I don't think you can necessarily correlate the years on a year-one-vs-year-one and year-two-vs-year-two basis, if that makes sense. I see it more as DS sales peaking around a phenomenal high, and for the 3DS to succeed this high with a achingly noticeable rocky start - well, I think it's more than just "the system needs time", because after all, it doesn't take Apple any trouble whatsoever to astronomically outsell its prior iterations of products. Why this wasn't the case with the 3DS I think bespeaks to the problems it had with its launch - which again, is why we saw all those cancellations and delays (like MegaMan Legends 3, some sega stuff, and on topic, Bravely Default): bigwigs weren't confident in the successor to the greatest handheld since the original gameboy! Nothing to sneeze at!

I still think it worth pointing out that Square isn't stepping up to localize this, Nintendo is, which still to me speaks of a hesitancy on big companies' parts to support the 3DS. Which means there is still much "traction" to be gained.

More cause Apple = Common market, appeals to everyone for a wide variety of reasons.

3DS = Primarily Gamers

It's hardly a fair comparison.

Besides the initial problem with the 3DS was the high-price to low game rate at launch, since then the price has fallen and the roster has filled out very very nicely.

• 1 month later...

I think the point of his post was to use an upcoming 3DS game announcement as an excuse to point out that Wii U needs more games* again (using another made up sales figure: 150 million 3DSes sold) without knowing or caring about what Bravely Default even is.

*Wii U needing more games is a well established sentiment over at the appropriate thread.

Edited by ocre

I think the point of his post was to use an upcoming 3DS game announcement as an excuse to point out that Wii U needs more games* again (using another made up sales figure: 150 million 3DSes sold) without knowing or caring about what Bravely Default even is.

*Wii U needing more games is a well established sentiment over at the appropriate thread.

So basically his post is pointless. Gotcha.

Anywho, really hoping that they show SOMETHING about this at E3. SOMETHING.

kinda your fault for not quoting it in your post in the first place

I didn't think people wouldn't know what games I was talking about in the thread for said games. Even the first one is mentioned in first post. Oh well, it is what it is. Some people, eh? :-P

I was wrong about the 3DS sales, it was DS that sold 150 million, but they're both pretty much the same device anyway, just one has a 3D screen. Let's not even go into all the tiny variations of DS, DS XL, DSi, DSi XL, and so on. :-/ So maybe it makes no sense to port these to a system that sold 3 million, but it definitely couldn't hurt. That's the point I was trying to make.

And ultimately it wouldn't be the first time Square-Enix moved a subpar quality handheld game to a real console. They did it with Chain of Memories I believe, on the PS2.

I was wrong about the 3DS sales, it was DS that sold 150 million, but they're both pretty much the same device anyway, just one has a 3D screen. Let's not even go into all the tiny variations of DS, DS XL, DSi, DSi XL, and so on. :-/ So maybe it makes no sense to port these to a system that sold 3 million, but it definitely couldn't hurt. That's the point I was trying to make.

And ultimately it wouldn't be the first time Square-Enix moved a subpar quality handheld game to a real console. They did it with Chain of Memories I believe, on the PS2.

You're wrong again and again. The 3DS is a much more capable handheld. DS could never have run a full Wii game like DKCR 3D. And what is a DS XL?

And that part about handheld games being "subpar quality" is just plain ignorant. Though not surprisingly so.

Edited by ocre

Chain of Memories was remade from the ground up and had connectivity with Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix. There was a reason they did that one.

There is literally no reason for them to move either of these games, especially not Four Heroes of Light, to any console, be it Wii U or not.

Really, this is a rather pointless conversation to be having, especially considering every post you've made in this thread concerning it has had error after error within it.

but they're both pretty much the same device anyway, just one has a 3D screen.

Brandon, do you ever research anything?

CPU: 66 Mhz ARM9

Sub CPU: 33 ARM 7 (Sound, Network, and also GBA compatibility)

RAM: 4MB

VRAM: 656KB

"GPU" Hard pressed to even call it a GPU, Custom graphic architecture, 2D modes/layers are largely based on GBA but has a new 3D modes/layer. Mostly a step below N64 in terms of graphical power.

Resolution 256 × 192 Both Screens

CPU 268 Mhz Dual Core ARM 11

Dedicated DSP for Sound (133 Mhz)

RAM 128MB

VRAM 4MB

GPU: Custom, PICA200 based(OpenGL ES 1.1 with custom shaders, around the power of the GCN/Wii)

Resolution:

400 × 240 Top Screen (800 x 240 in 3D mode)

320 × 240 Bottom Screen

How on earth could you possibly say the 3DS is the same as the DS by any stretch of imagination?

Even if you ignored all the spec sheets, have you even played or seen anything related to EITHER? Screenshots, trailers, the units themselves? Clearly the 3DS is on a whole other level power and graphically

Edited by Crowbar Man