Bravely Default to be Bravely Localized [3DS]

ocre

Is that a serious question? A better question would be why would they? Why would Nintendo feel the need to buy the IP rights to some random and not even super popular IPs? They make plenty of their own IPs, and buying an IP can be a gigantically expensive endeavor, especially if it is anything remotely popular. It is safe to say they will probably not buy the IP rights and Square Enix would have little reason to sell them to Nintendo unless they weren't worth anything (which why would Nintendo buy them?)

Anyway, anything can happen in the future. This isn't a speculation thread on which platform BDFF could be ported to.

The point being: The game isn't developed by Nintendo, but it is on the 3DS. SE hasn't announced a port to any other platform, so if you want this game the 3DS is the only place to get it. If you don't like that wait X amount of years for some other announcement, if ever

In the meantime, the rest of us will be playing it on the platform it was announced for. (And we didn't need to be Nintendo employees to know that!)

Edited by Crowbar Man

Now, I am trying to look this information up, but I really do not believe Nintendo owns the IP rights to Dragon Quest franchise and/or just IX. Just the publishing rights to IX outside of Japan and possibly a contract to keep it exclusive to DS. Would be the first I've heard of it myself if they actually owned the IP to any of it.

Edit: Nope, nada I can find at least. DQIX was developed and published by SE in Japan, Nintendo just published it outside of Japan. Can't find any articles mentioning transfer of IP rights, and that would be rather big news and completely bizarre as DQ is one of the biggest franchises SE has.

Feel free to correct me on this one Mirby (any articles mentioning it will do)

Edited by Crowbar Man

Well, there is a pretty big difference between just publishing/localizing (DQIX, BDFF) and having complete control over a product (owning the code, porting it to another platform, etc)

Maybe you just mean licensing the IP instead of fully owning the IP. Might be a mistake on my part. Nothing like that I can find on DQIX either way, Nintendo didn't do any development on it at all, and didn't even publish it in Japan. Also, it hasn't ever been ported to anything else on top of that. Still only on DS

So either way, it seems an unrealistic expectation for anything more to happen from Nintendo for BDFF, as again they are just publishing in the US/EU and have had no hand in development of the game. I don't think Nintendo is madly in love with the game or something. If it sells a billion copies (which they get a slice of both in licensing fees and being its publisher) and helps push 3DS units, they'd probably be satisfied with just that. They didn't even have to spend money to develop the game. For them to port the game they'd have to spend money on the IP (whether license or own) and do actual work on porting / redoing it. I don't see Nintendo bothering doing all that for a game they again probably don't care a great deal about

Now SE, being both the IP owner and developer, can probably do whatever they want with the game unless they've entered some exclusive contract. But expecting them to jump on the Wii U now (when it isn't even popular) instead of whatever is the most popular console at the current moment (or heck, iOS/Android) is again a bit unrealistic.

Until some other announcement happens: Its on the 3DS, with no plans on being ported to any other platform at this time. End of Story honestly. We've known this for a few while (game came out last year in Japan for goodness sake)

Now, if you have no plans on even buying a 3DS, and cannot contribute to anything about the actual game otherwise, please just stop Brandon lol

Reposting Mirby's pictures so it doesn't get lost in this nonsense:

Anyways, I once did some art on Swapnote for this... lessee...

tumblr_mnr31znRwQ1r8wwfno3_1280.jpgtumblr_mnr31znRwQ1r8wwfno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnr31znRwQ1r8wwfno2_1280.jpgtumblr_mnr31znRwQ1r8wwfno4_1280.jpg

there it is. GET HYPE

on a related note, i wonder if we'll be receiving some translated BDFF Swapnote stationery. i have some from the JP release, but I'd like to see it acknowledged like that.

Edited by Crowbar Man

• 6 months later...

yeah well good thing you don't need sleep attacks at all

they weren't even in the japanese version

if you want to ruin your experience by rolling through the game with free super attacks that you can get by being in sleep anyways (which you already should be, because you need to streetpass with people to get a lot of upgrades) then be my guest

otherwise there's nothing to see here

yeah the sp drink is cheap and serves the exact same purpose as what you get by keeping yer system in sleep mode. if you need that attack that badly and that often (hint: you don't) then waste yer money. aside from that you probably won't need it at all

edit: just realized we won't get any swapnote stationery cause swapnote is, you know, dead. :(

Edited by Mirby