> Game: Metal Slug 4

> ReMix Name: Eau Charix

> Original Name: Furiously

----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpph3E6KtfM

Edited by Palpable
closed

• 1 month later...

It seems as if some higher frequencies got chopped off, because the soundscape sounds lossy like a low-quality encoding, despite the 192kbps bitrate.

After a solid opening, the organ brought in at :13 & 1:30 sounds pretty poor. It's too lossy sounding, and (more importantly) the timing's way too sloppy. The thin claps from :25-:49 were too beginner-ish; you need to layer them to give the background some meat and properly fill things out. Or just change the sound to something better, since that part's not in there for long. The saloon-ish sequenced piano at :25 also had very mechanical timing and lacked body.

On the plus side, the bassline had some meat to it and sounded excellent. The guitar at :49 had good energy even if it could have cut through a bit more. Once this shifted to the rock-focused stuff, I thought the overall execution sounded much better aside from the mixing needing a bit more brightness.

The synth work from 1:55-2:07 was rather scattershot and little too loose, but OK. The guitar soloing afterward until 2:21 was also loose, but sounded more cohesive. Overall, it could have been a little smoother, but was a nice, creative addition that benefited the arrangement.

Sweeeeet dynamic changeup at 3:08. With the piano sounding a lot more airy and delayed, it had a lot more body to the sound to cover up the fakeness of the samples and sounded pretty good as a result. Good pickup into the high energy at 3:44 to then close things out.

Humanize the sequencing of the melodic/piano leads, fix or replace the claps, and restore some higher frequencies for a bit more clarity. The arrangement is already pretty strong and doesn't need any changes there. Just improve the mixing and some of the weaker instrumentation to get this where it needs to be.

Really nice stuff, Antanas, that IMO just needs some TLC to bring it above the bar. Definitely DON'T be discouraged, this is definitely the kind of creativity we're looking for. Use the Workshop forums to get more advice on how you can do the tweaks you need to get this approved & posted, we need this here in some form!

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I'm hearing what Larry's hearing, but I think the bigger problem is the untamed bottom rather than the.imprecise top. Gotta clean out room for those frequencies. Here it's just muddy.

I really dig the composition. The synth solo thing as well as the guitars play some really cool stuff, but neither has any presence. All I'm hearing is muddy low mids and then the cymbals. You need some upper mids in your lead instruments.

Cool track. compare the mix to other tracks you like.

NO

Fantastic arrangement, don't need to change a thing. But I'll second Vig's comment about the bottom being an issue. The arrangement is on the muddy side and if those frequency ranges are cluttered it can hurt clarity (strangely). I heard timing issues with a few instruments like the organ and EP too, which wasn't great. Perhaps a bit heavy on reverb as well, for the energy you're going for. Honestly, this is a borderline call for me, but I'm gonna tip against. It feels like it's lacking that last bit of spit shine. Hope you go back and close this out for us.

NO (resubmit)