ID forum: 30998

Game & Songs: Astérix (Game Boy) – Helvetia & Title Screen & Secret Level

Composer: Alberto Jose Gonzalez

Helvetia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4S2vXj5quc

Title Screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE0PnZAI7s

Secret Level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0UXZ7J1AVc

Comment:

Hi!

I’ve worked to get a melody and details of orchestration better emphasized, by working with new sample.

Hope you'll like this version :D

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

Seems to be going for a fairly straightforward, happy arrangement. The organ-ish part on support (first used from :09-10) sounded a bit indistinct. With the bitrate so low at 128kbps, a lot of details in the soundscape ended up just blurring together. We need at least 192kbps or VBR1 quality from now on, according to the standards.

The drums sounded flat right out of the gate, and the other instrumentation sounded alright in terms of sound quality, but the timing sounded pretty rigid for the most part.

By :48, the percussion (even though there were some changeups here and there, was becoming too plodding. There was the brief flourish from 1:11-1:20 to create some real contrast before changing section at 1:28. The brass lead from 1:28-1:36 was pretty flat, and that was indicative of the broader problem with the overall execution.

1:53's section also felt like more of the same plodding stuff. 2:23 briefly employed a nice slowdown, but then went back into the plodding pace. There are subtle dynamic shifts every so often, but it's basically one tempo, a constant percussion beat and instrumentation that lacks a lot of expressiveness.

The writing/arrangement sounds good (albeit conservative), but the performance doesn't sound humanized and natural. It would fit in really well in, say, an N64 soundtrack, but the production standards for sequencing are a bit higher than that. I'm afraid my criticisms seem pretty similar to past ones; I haven't heard the earlier versions, though it seems like there's been some improvement on the sample quality when reading the past votes.

Either way, this is an instance where you may have hit a ceiling as far as what you can do with your tools for a song like this and REALLY need to consult artists in the Workshop to more closely get at the production issues holding your music back.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I've been saying for years we need more orchestral polka mixes.

I find it really strange the way the kick sticks out of this mix. There's a ton of click of the bass drum, which sticks above the harmonic instruments, while the body of the drum gets lost among the low-mid clutter. It makes me feel like the horns and strings should be louder. Aside from that, there's not a lot of clarity in the mix. WOrk the high-mids to get those horns to be crisp.

The arrangement is a fairly clever medley, though there aren't a ton of risks taken. It's more or less like the original, though I will definitely give you recognition for some well-executed compositional flourishes.

As it is I can't pass.

NO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
It would fit in really well in, say, an N64 soundtrack, but the production standards for sequencing are a bit higher than that.

Pretty much. This is enjoyable, but definitely not realistic enough for what we accept. The sound palette reminds me of the Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack and as fine a soundtrack as that is, production standards have gotten better since then. There are also some minor mixing problems like the kick that Vig pointed out, but there needs to be better samples or more realistic usages of the samples you have.

NO (resubmit)