DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: Darangen

UserID: 8948

Game: Chrono Trigger

Songs: Undersea Palace

Schala’s theme

Original Soundtracks:

Comments:

This is a resub. The most current judge thread on this is: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43034

I've fixed the timing issues and tried to reduce some of the harshness on the violin.

Edited by djpretzel

• 1 month later...

Right off the bat, I didn't like how muddy the soundscape was. Guitars were pretty crunchy at :07; not really a fan of how it sounds like it's distorting; it doesn't really offer anything to the track.

I wish the awesome lead at :30 were less muddy; I love the delay on it, but it lacked some highs. Still, a very ethereal, somber tone that worked beautifully with this source. It's a shame it doesn't quite cut to the foreground all the way.

WHOA, the chorus at 1:03 sounds WAY better than the previous version I heard way back. The strings at 1:14 also didn't sound horribly bone dry like in the oldest version I heard; it's not perfect and the sequencing still strains for credibility, but it's thankfully not not a upfront element much of the time, otherwise I'd probably NO it for that.

Excellent, expressive guitar work from 2:28, while the strings at 2:45 (again, sequencing was iffy) served their role well in the background where the issues weren't as exposed.

Yeah, I'll definitely echo the praise and crits of the others. The arrangement has a ton of creativity and great energy, and the strength of the writing's so much better reflected in this version. When shit wails, it wails, and that's something Mike has pulled off very well throughout his time in the community.

That said, my nagging but genuine feeling is that the mixing's honestly below the bar. No hate on anyone feeling that the arrangement carries it. This arrangement is amazing and dense, and the performance is strong, but it's extremely cluttered, which was just a messy distraction and wasn't acceptable IMO. You side-by-side it with my favorite control track djp's Revenge of Shinobi 'Consent (Make Me Dance)' and the difference is just so stark.

Awesome arrangement that deserves to be here, but even a slight bump in the mixing quality would be enough for me to flip to YES. It's definitely a mix where you can look back in 5 years with more experience under your belt and think "I'd love to take another chance at mixing that" for more clarity & proper separation of the parts.

It may pass, and I don't have an issue with that, but I'm definitely pulling a Disco Dan with a potential sole outlier vote.

NO (borderline/refine/resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't really disagree with anything Larry had to say, but I was still feeling this overall. Maybe the arrangement pulls me just enough in the right direction to want to pass despite the slightly muddy mixing. The chorus sounds awesome in particular, and I love the solo following the second chorus. So expressive, great tone. The drop out around the 3-minute mark could have been smoother but it wasn't a big issue. Let's give this the green light.

YES