OCR02845 - *YES* Kirby Super Star Ultra 'Warrior of the Galaxy'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: mXenon

Name of the game: Kirby Super Star Ultra

Name of Arrangement: "Warrior Of The Galaxy"

Name of the Original Song: Galacta Knight Battle

This is my first song submission to OCRemix. I don´t know, if i´ve

met all the requirements, but I hope it´s ok.

------------

Edited by djpretzel

• 2 months later...

The distinct stereo panning periodically used here was just too wide. For example, from :32-:38 & 1:35-1:39, it's like 5% left-95% right, which is over the top to me. I'm not saying panning can't be used in a cool way, but don't make it that drastic. Maybe that sounds alright on speakers, but on headphones, it just sounds bad.

Jesus though, was this ever loud. Fuck. Can't wait until I'm an old man and can't stand stuff like this anymore. :lol:

Nice changeup at 2:08 to the washed out sound. The percussion added in at 2:28 should have been pulled back. It shouldn't have been louder than the lead, but it wasn't a huge deal. Another extremely wide pan from 3:23-3:28. I put a hex on you.

Anyway, aside from the volume being set to ear-break and some questionable (but brief) panning, this... was... awesome. Great energy, great performances, and reasonably well mixed. Loud doesn't have to mean cluttered and indistinct, and it was nice to hear something \m/ where all the details can still be appreciated. Nice work, Steve!

Want something intense? It's right here.

YES

• 2 months later...

I do think this is hovering near the bar in terms of arrangement; it's pretty close to the source, but there is a good amount of personalization, and the second half has a nice mood change here. As Larry mentions, this is definitely intense, but the parts are pretty clear, which isn't easy to do in this style. While I'd have liked more part variation, I do think the personalization does make up for it. Nice work.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I think one has to be careful with 100% panning if only one side plays. That kind of thing gets tiring to hear very quickly. There wasn't too much of it here, but I would have liked less. The only other complaint I had was that the song was a little thin. I wouldn't have minded some thicker samples or less dramatic EQ or more reverb, something to beef it up a bit. As is, you've got great separation between your sounds though. Actually, when you've got parts where the guitar is muted all of a sudden, the dropoff is too much, so maybe more reverb would be the trick.

As far as positives: everything else. The spartan arrangement works in your favor and there's enough to stay engaging. The change-up to the sparse, moody section hit at just the right time dynamically. Greta playing/sequencing. Lots to like!

YES

Wow, yeah this is really loud. Things don't really show signs of overcompression, probably because this is a relatively sparse arrangement so there was more room to push the levels. On listen #2, though, I'm getting some ear fatigue, so be careful there.

Tight performances here. Creative change ups and phrasing. Good variation on the drum parts and very cool fills.

EQ-wise, things felt a little gutted in the mids/low-mids, especially in the kick. I understand the decision both genre-wise and for production purposes, but I think there is still room to have things filled out in the requency range withough muddying up the piece.

NOTE: I just left this for a couple hours and came back to it and it seems even louder now with fresh ears. Pretty sure my consumber grade headphones are boosing some mid-high frequencies even more than usual, which is making this almost painful at normal listening levels. I'm YESing this, but it might not hurt to ask for a version with more reasonable levels.

YES