OCR00383 - Xenogears "7 Years Broken"

Saunders

I truly love this song, and this interpretation. Contrary to what some others have said, I cannot detect any major flaws in Mr. Pretzel's singing, and I love the way the synth and piano blend. The lyrics themselves are a little less upbeat than the music, but the difference there makes the song all the more interesting. Congratulations and thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

DJP, I don't care what your ex said, your singing is SUPERB. This is one of favorite OC Mixes, and the way everything blends is perfect. It all fits together, and sounds beautiful and emotional. It makes me want to go play Xenogears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very 80's esque...it really is the vocals that put the stamp on that though. You sound like you're british...a member of cutting crew or some other 80's pop band.

Your arrangement is mitsuda-esque. You have like 4 or 5 different sounds all playing their own song but combining to make something remarkable.

I love it. Thank you very much for making this.

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Pretzel, whatever anyone tells you, don't EVER let them tell you you can't sing! O.o I wish I were this good...You sounded like George Michael in the Lunar song you did, and I dug that, but in this, you've got a slightly American (the band) sound, a la "The Last Unicorn."

The techno backbeat really fits the tempo and doesn't wreck the mood...which, in MHO, is all it takes to make a song. ^_^

I'm just getting into Xenogears remixes, and this is one of my faves so far.

I'm going to come off as a jerk here, so I appologize before hand. First off, the arangment is wonderful. It is very proffesionally done. This of course leaves the main focus of the song, the vocals. It's fairly obvious that you touched up the voice for the refrain and the constant echo effect is nice too. Of course these are all effects and not aspects of the voice itself.

It would appear you have a bit of trouble holding a specific pitch without a bit of vibrato comming through. I think the minor echo does very well to cover this up though. Also you appear to have less than perfect diction, but this could be a side effect of your very supressive dynamics, which would allow the accustics to overpower your voice to at times make the end of your words seem unneseserrily lagato.

This lagato is of course is not helped by the echo effect and I'm by no means saying you have a terrible voice. I'm just saying that your musical tallents have allowed you to overcomming any shortcommings your voice has by masking them and allowing a rendition of the song that allows for a much more vocal / instrumental ballance rather than having one aspect simply supply support.

Overall it is a very well done remix, and with your voice fits perfectly with this song when done the way you executed it. I'm just trying to provide an objective opinion, as I feel that's what anyone would want in a review; honesty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made to to X in my listing of my first bit torrent download. slowly but gradually listening to each song on the way. Come through a lot of good tunes, and waded through a lot of, how can i put it nicely, less good ones.

<presses the auto repeat button on winamp>

I may not make it to Zelda

• 2 weeks later...

Pretzel, man you have a sexy voice. (If I didn't have a boyfriend...shh.) This song is so awesome. I also liked your Lunar remix, but this one is even better. I was listening to 'Singing Pretzel' in the car one day and my friend said she didn't like it. (I don't associate with her anymore, but not for that reason.) Don't be afraid to sing more. Here's hoping your next mix is another balls-out lyric-belting masterpiece.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool track. The vocals don't sound right during the intro, starting at the first chorus they rock. In the intro they sound out of place... either too soft or off key or off tempo or something... Maybe the emotion put into them is a little different than that of the music... I can't put my finger on it... it just sounds odd at the beginning...

But yah great 80's synth sound ^_^

8/10

First off, I loved the original song to begin with-so I'm pretty much gonna like an Remix of this song, probably.

Second of all, Mr. Pretzel, you should do vocal's more often-they're alittle chessey but I like them. It's like Japanese singing in English, sounds weird but still good enough to like.

Over all- I like this mix, I like the vocal's even more-they make me laugh... in the good way, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like this remix, small of two pieces is my favorite Xenogears song and you did a really good upbeat mix of it. Keep up the good work and how about trying your hand at a few Xenosaga songs because OCremix has none and that makes me sad :cry: Anyways great work and keep it up

I was surprised when I saw that this was a pre-400 mix of pretzel's - He usually stuck with his strange, distorted techno style early on, and this is quite a different take.

From what I'm hearing, DJP has a great singing voice that goes very well with the piano. I really like how his voice sounds when slightly echoed, and he did a fine job combining the reverbed synth with the piano and... whatever that slivery xylophony thing is.

Recommend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

lol djp's not much of a singer but is still extremely good! He sorta sounds Korean or Japanese in this song. Hahah I can't get over this singing! It's friggin' awesome! Great work DJP! And don't listen to that girl 'cause you got potential man! I mean you're good as it is just imagine how much better you could become!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00383 - Xenogears "7 Years Broken"