OCR00383 - Xenogears "7 Years Broken"

Saunders

Xenogears '7 Years Broken'

Wheeeeee! Mr. Lloyd sings! Again… although this was the first time I’d heard him sing. Personally, I enjoy this mix. There’s quite a different take than the original in this mix. The background is much different, and the way he has of singing is better, in my opinion, than the original. I really enjoyed this track the first time I heard it, and the second, third, fourth, and all the times afterwards. I thought that whatever effect he used on his voice during the chorus was used well. The echo, which can be heard well in the quieter part at ~2:40, was also timed perfectly I felt. This is one of my favourite tunes on OC. 5/5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I should probably start off by saying that this was the mix that compelled me to bite the bullet and register on the forums, something I normally shy away from. It would be a grave injustice if I just didn't say something about this mix.

While it's true that I have a thing for the original of the Xenogears track and all corresponding remixes, I have to say that this is the one that stands out in my mind the most. Broken Mirror Reflection has the nice techno thing going on in the middle of the song, but I honestly prefer the vocals on 7YearsBroken. They're at just the right pitch, timbre, and any other musical term you want to put in there. And they're male - something which is definitely different from all the other remixes of this the original song that I've downloaded.

I also liked the synth and techno theme of the mix. I grew up in the 80's, and I love electronica, so this is a marriage of my two musical loves. Add a dash of piano (which I am admittedly a sucker for) and you've got the perfect mix for an already cool track. To quote one of the SNL Coffee Talk sketches, "it's like heroin."

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I thought I posted this before but apparently it got vaped. Since I'm lazy I'll be quick in posting this again. I think. In other words, you don't get the benefit of my whole spiffy review.

In short, the only thing bad about this remix is that it doesn't have 'replay value', something which I think is important for music as well as the video games everybody's remixing from here :). I like it, especially the intro, and the singing isn't that bad :) but in order to get a 9-10 it needs to make me want to listen to it again and again.

Team Gato is the exception because it's a humor thing, of course, (though I did listen to it several times :))

8 out of 10

• 4 weeks later...

Most vocal remixes I've heard so far are absolutely terrible. Even if I discount such wondrous names as Fanatics Tower of Power at vgmix, you are left with lots of crappy remixes. I figure it's because they're hard to get right.

This is quite a good remix. Definitely the best vocal remix I've heard as of yet. Without the vocals, it's 8/10, the fact that the vocals are good and don't screw the entire thing up leaves it with a 9/10.

Good one!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As many others before me, I registered in order to post my thoughts about this remix. Personally, I give it a 8/10 because it's catchy and I want to hear it again and again (maybe as much as I listen to pretzel's F-Zero remix), but I don't give it 10 because it doesn't fall into A) A game I love for the music or B) A genre of music I love. All in all, I still love it. Also, djpretzel being my favorite remixer here, I was very shocked and almost in denial that his voice sounded so darned cool! Whatever girl told him not to sing should listen to that singing and try to say it again. Frankly, I want to hear mr.pretzel sing more often. :!:

• 3 weeks later...

DJPretzel, if you ever get to read this, I want you to NEVER, EVER, be afraid to sing again. This remix flows in a very light, airy sort of way. Close your eyes, and the music makes you feel like you're flying. Really fast. But the vocals add a whole other dimension to this mix. In a song of this speed and almost surrealistic style, I feel it crucial that there be something solid to grasp and hang on to. Pretzel's vocals do just that. This mix is a must have. Honestly, I've only heard of Xenogears in passing, and never played it, but this is a must download. This is a

+10\+10 Song of Pretty!

• 1 month later...

By Blindeye's standard, I'd have to give this amazing piece a 10 out of 10, so I'll do so. Great game, great music, amazing remix. I might be new here, but what better section to start in than Xenogears? After hearing the remixes here (especially this one), I was driven to go back and reply the game, missing the esscence which you so majestically captured. You sing amazingly and I'd love to hear you do more. Good job, and may you continue to prosper!

• 4 weeks later...

Such happiness....makes me want to spin around and stuff. I like the whole thing, but I'd like to point out the best out of it.

Best vocal part: Chorus, definitely the chorus. Everything about the voice is on perfect rhythm with the rest of the song. It would definitely sound bland without all those effects done to it (no offense to djp's stand alone singing, because it would be true for everyone methinks...except for rock bands). So basically everyone could have a good voice, but it would sound better with effects =)

Best instrument: Piano, definitely the piano. I could whistle all the piano for the rest of my life and it would rarely get old.

I would have never seen the original melody in its glory if it wasn't for this ReMix. I don't know why, I just didn't really hold much regard for this in the past, but now it's one of my fav djp songs.

• 1 month later...

Goddamn I just can't stay away from this freakin' reviews for this game!!!!

okay with that out of my system ...

That's Pretzel? No joke ... THAT'S Pretzel?

You've got a NICE voice, I like it. I like the sounds in this remix and the lead piano with it's supporting (has a beautiful duet sound to it). I'm getting closer to demanding where the lyrics come from, but I degress there. It's a sweet song, this remix is second place for this song though ... but considering everything, first and second get the same prize, so no shame in that. I hope to hear something like this again from Pretzel.

Zidarose

Yes, it's another person who registered just to comment on this . . .

Now . . . while I absolutely love the remix (gotta love the 80's stuff), there's one thing in my mind that's keeping it from being better in my book.

The. Vocals. They're just . . . . slightly . . . flat. I mean . . . they're off pitch and don't fit in the song . . . it HURTS. But the music is great. And it could be worse. It could be singing pretzel.

But . . . ouch. It's flat. I'm sorry.

6/10

I've downloaded over 50 remixes over a long period of time, but this is the first I actually wanted to really say something about. I had just recently gotten Xenogears, and was curious to hear some of the remixes, and I'm glad I clicked. This one is amazing, and I agree with the previous posts in that it is a MUST download. You really can sing, pretzel, which is more than I can say for myself.

*blinks*

Well, I can sing fine without instumental accompaniment, but if someone's playin an instrument, I sound horrible...

• 2 weeks later...

7/10. The remix itself is pretty good, but the timing of everything seems off. Also you're not a bad singer, (at least no where near as those on American Idol) but you should probably stick to what your ex girlfriend said. Or you could just say "to f*ck wit her, I got da sh!t, myan!"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WOW!!! DJ Pretzel has a really good voice for this song. It matches much better than the original singer IMHO. I'm new to this site and have been dling all day and I have to say that this is my Fave of them all so far (and I doubt that it will lose its place anytime soon (anytime soon = never lest I get driven insane...wait *thinks a minute*...i forgot...I already am insane...regardless I LOVE this remix))...can't wait to hear more of your remixes djpretzel...*starts singing along with the track with his awful off-key voice*...run to the end of the world... :D

I really like this track, its alot less distorted, more legible than "Broken Mirror Reflection" the only deciding factor for would be a more passionate theme with BMR or a more up beat theme for this one.

In either case VERY good track, i had listened to the beginningin of the track but always got side tracked and never heard the whoel thing, heck, i didnt know there were any vocals in this track until last week.

very well done, A++++++ on my record

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although it starts up reminding me of another song, this song is wonderful. (I had it running through my head all day!) Your voice is perfect for this peice. The beat is fast, but the calm and soothing voice slows it down and makes me feeling like I'm floating. 10/10!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00383 - Xenogears "7 Years Broken"