Illusion of gaia: Longing for the past/ In the Earthen womb

DC_Desperado

This is a song ( too which I seen it under both names) that really made the game for me. (what can I say, I'm a sap for sad melodies) I love how this song can make you feel sad, hopeful, and at peace all at once. Though I still find myself satisfied by the original melody, I would very much like to hear this melody given a proper chance to shine and to gather some long overdue respect.

Any one up to the challenge?

Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVg0c249JhI&list=PL05437E589E77E753

I am totally down for remixing this.

I can do orchestral arrangement, or maybe a symphonic arrangement, or maybe an arrangement involving piano, strings and oboe, etc?

But seriously, I am doing this.

I started making sort of an 80s ballad. But honestly, I have so many tracks I need to finish, this one'll probably have to wait a long time.

I started making sort of an 80s ballad. But honestly, I have so many tracks I need to finish, this one'll probably have to wait a long time.

That would have been freakin' sweet!

I'm in a rare moment that won't last, in which I have next to no unfinished works, so I'm gonna take full advantage. I've got a decent start I think.

It's kinda meandering right now, but I should have a WIP to link up tonight.

This is a song ( too which I seen it under both names) that really made the game for me. (what can I say, I'm a sap for sad melodies) I love how this song can make you feel sad, hopeful, and at peace all at once. Though I still find myself satisfied by the original melody, I would very much like to hear this melody given a proper chance to shine and to gather some long overdue respect.

Any one up to the challenge?

Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVg0c249JhI&list=PL05437E589E77E753

Here's the first WIP!

https://soundcloud.com/forrestpowell/wip1-in-the-earthen-womb-cfp

:)!!

At this point the work in progress is sort of up for discussion as to where it goes from here. OP, what do you think so far? I don't want to just replay what I have already done, but the original content just pretty much loops from where my second wip is at.

The way I see it, there are two options that make sense to me:

1: enlist cellist and write a new arrangement for the second half, still using the same song structure (I have done this before to keep a song from getting boring).

2: you and anyone reading feel free to pick another song from this OST and I can link it into the existing work to do a sort of compilation of the two.

Ideas and input are welcome! We can give it a shot and if it sounds like crap we can start back at the drawing board. :)

Forrest

I'm so so so sorry I haven't been able to get on and reply to whats been going on. First off Forrest, you have already successfully brought me to tear with the melody you have already constructed. That already, to me, is a mission complete. That having been said, if your looking for further input I do have a couple of thoughts.

Blessings of Nature would be good to throw in is you want to slow it down even further to add a more meloncoly feel to song.

If you want to add a hint of uncertainty the track Ominous Whispers adds an ancient uncertainty to the song.

And just as the name suggests the song Deep Sadness would continue down the path of sorrow this song has the potential to paint.

If you want a unique twist you could always take the first minute of Bittersweet Victory and use it as an intro to blessings of nature if you want a transition between the calming sorrow and the calming bliss the two songs provide.

If you personally feel up to creating a custom arrangement for the rest of the song then I am all for it. I love see such talent giving room to truly grow.

I look forward to seeing what is yet to come and I thank you all for the work you have already place in these projects.

Truly,

DC_Desperado

Blessings of Nature:

Ominous Whispers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOCZMaiYQzs&list=PL008B05D1E81AF5A5

Deep Sadness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ5b5UfguSA

Bittersweet Victory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAz8pn5uYps

Awesome. That is super helpful.

I'm glad you like it!

I think I'll try and go between a few of these; not sure which yet but I like all of them and contextually and could really work. Will's theme might be a starting point.

Gonna build a bedside table, sand down some plaster walls in my house, and then wine and dine it up and work on this. I will probably get a WIP #3 up tonight and can link it soon.

I am partial to ominous whispers. It is such a different track, you know?

We'll see what happens!

Cheers,

Forrest

Third WIP is here!

https://soundcloud.com/forrestpowell/wip3-earthen-whispers

I got super frustrated last night and got nothing done, so I watched Netflix instead.

Got some piano inspiration this morning. I think it came out well.

SUCH a departure from the initial few minutes, but I think from 1:50 on you get a sense of that awe and wonder from Ominous Whispers / Signs of the Past that is present in the original.

I may just use that as a transition into whatever the third and final part ends up being.

Not sure.

Hope you like it!

Forrest

The end will get more full once I have an actual cellist come to my home studio to record. I have a part written out for Will's Dream, but the virtual instruments I have just aren't doing the part justice, so I want to get a live musician in for it.

Might be a bit until I can schedule him in, but I'll make it happen ASAP.

https://soundcloud.com/forrestpowell/work-in-progress-4

Forrest, once again you fail to disappoint! This is truly a beautiful arrangement and I'm honored that you have taken this task upon yourself. However, and im not sure if it was the style you were going for, but, after listening thru your most recent update (a couple hundred times :D ) i couldn't help thinking that this arrangement presents each part of the track as a whole separate pieces. I'm not going to tell you how to do anything, especially since you have done such an incredible job and have blown me away time and time again. I was just thinking that there might be some way of balancing the transitions between segments to show that this is truly one song.

I hope you do not take my suggestions as insults. I am truly impressed and pleased beyond words with what you have now and I'm positive without a shadow of a doubt that you will do these songs proper justice, if you haven't already. ;)

thank you for all your hard work!

DC_Desperado

Forrest, once again you fail to disappoint! This is truly a beautiful arrangement and I'm honored that you have taken this task upon yourself. However, and im not sure if it was the style you were going for, but, after listening thru your most recent update (a couple hundred times :D ) i couldn't help thinking that this arrangement presents each part of the track as a whole separate pieces. I'm not going to tell you how to do anything, especially since you have done such an incredible job and have blown me away time and time again. I was just thinking that there might be some way of balancing the transitions between segments to show that this is truly one song.

I hope you do not take my suggestions as insults. I am truly impressed and pleased beyond words with what you have now and I'm positive without a shadow of a doubt that you will do these songs proper justice, if you haven't already. ;)

thank you for all your hard work!

DC_Desperado

Hey DC,

Thanks for the kind words! It's great to hear that you're enjoying listening as much as I am working on this piece.

No worries at all about the constructive criticism! I actually appreciate the suggestions, because I think we can make this a better song altogether. I totally agree that the transitions are pretty stark right now; there's a general 'flow' issue that I will try and work on.

:-D

So, one VERY cool update I have that might actual help with that very issue is that Laura Intravia agreed to play some flute for this piece. Since that's the case, I am going to write a part to go between the first two so that at the very least each part makes more sense moving from one to the next.

The piano is a little bit Chopin and a lot random at the moment. Maybe it works, maybe not.

Let me know what you think in terms of whether that center part, "Ominous Whispers" is something you'd be interested to hear with flute undertones, or maybe even flute carrying the melody entirely with the piano moving to the background. That is one thought that I had.

On the other hand, I've got another update for you with some cello added in (it's hardly changed at all though, to warn you not to have super high expectations yet). Violins are next after I write the flute part. Laura is a FANTASTIC musician, so I can guarantee that she will add a lot to the arrangement.

https://soundcloud.com/forrestpowell/wip-5-plus-cello

Thanks again for the input! More to come this weekend.

Cheers,

Forrest

I'm beginning to wonder if it may help if we switch the order of the songs. like starting with Ominous Whispers then into Wills Dream and finish with Longing for the Past. It might offer a different perspective and give us some insight on what we're missing. I personally carry a lot of biased passion for the sound of the piano, so the idea of minimizing it or removing it from the song would be a call I cannot make. Pianos are just beautiful.

There are a couple songs I will list below that might be worth a listen; both of which can be found here on OC Remix. I think they can hold some form of inspiration and ideas. Even if we pull nothing from them, there still a good listen.

I was also thinking of taking advantage of the fact you will be having a flute expert there. As a random thought while reading your last post that IF we do decide to switch the order that the intro might need some fine tuning. For that I was thinking of truly pulling a blast from the past move and seeing if you friend would be willing to also play Lola's melody or the Lost Incan melody, both were magical songs played on a flute like instrument in the game. Though we would need to bring down the tempo on either melody to fit the feel of ominous whispers.

As for Ominous Whispers, at 2:20 I noticed that you went for a little run of the keyboard. Which I thought was a good touch but it ended rather abruptly. This leaves me stuck because I also love how at 2:30 how slow an melancholy it sounds. which is only a ten second gap to which really isn't enough time to make much of a statement. For that, anything you choose will be perfectly fine.

I look forward to hearing what you think, and I agree that we can make this song better!

DC_Desperado

OC Remix: Waltz of Pain:

A slow piano melody with a good run example at 2:01

OC Remix: Flood Plains:

A fast paced song that almost feels like a constant run.

Lola's Melody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWIZsA85RUA

Lost Incan Melody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGdTM5fkgps&list=PL05437E589E77E753