Good way to record vocals?

Calum

Hey new kid! :D

The forum has a search function, you'll get answers to questions ppl have already asked faster that way. Like this useful thread about recording stuff.

Also, next time you have a production question, don't put it here, put it in the production forum. Don't worry about that now, the mods can move it later.

Depending on the soundcard, you might end up with electrical noise in the recording or even offsetting the data (friend of mine recently managed to record with a 62% dc offset, terrible pop noises whenever starting or stopping a clip from it until the offset was fixed). Bad mics can also get you all kinds of unwanted noise. Might be better to borrow stuff from ppl you know than to start spending on having your own at this point. Unless you're gonna do a lot of recording.

Which brings us to how you're gonna record. You can get the audio in with Audacity or something, but once it's in, then what? Just hand it over to someone else?

Also, welcome to ocr. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Presonus FireBox and Adobe Audition 3.0 with a 100 dollar condenser mic from musiciansfriend for the past several years with great results. To really get a clear sound you'll also need a pop filter in front of the mic to reduce breathing noises...or just stick a sock over the mic. If you're looking for free software I'm sure Audacity will work fine, I'm just used to Audition. Its free for 30 days.

Okay, is this what I do, in simple terms:

Get a mic, and plug it into a computer and use a recording software like Audacity for it? D:

In simple terms, yes. And it'll probably sound terrible.

What kind of mic should you get? Not all mics are built for home studio recording, or even for the human voice.

What level of quality is your soundcard? crackle hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss crackle.

Is there a lot of reverb in your room? ooooooommmmmmmm....

Are you expecting to use Audacity for everything relating to the voice or just for recording the raw audio? Are you gonna mix, if so, with what?

Yes, you can just go out and buy the cheapest mic you can find and some adapter to get it plugged in. No, it's not gonna sound good.

I've already got my info from the pages you listed. A dynamic mic sounds perfect, and as for sampling... that's optional for me, it's not as if I'm gonna totally do that. And what's this soundcard I keep hearing about? O.o

Thanks for implying you think I'm a cheapskate who doesn't care what quality my music will be though, I'm sure you'll be surprised if my music's good in the end.

It's cuz I know you're young and assume you don't have a day job / rich parents. The first one is a fairly safe assumption. :P

Soundcard is the part of the computer (or an external interface) that sends and receives sound. That's where you'd hook up the mic, that's where you've hooked up your speakers, etc.. If it's not a good soundcard, you can get all kinds of noise, distortion, dc offset on your recordings. Some of that is problematic to get rid of.

Surprised if a 13-yearold makes good music? Well, that depends on my standard of good, doesn't it? ;) Haven't heard you yet.

Also, for lulz, sampling vs sampling. :D (so yes, you will sample.)