starting out questions

Most of the higher end music programs and sound libraries require at least 256 or 512 Mb of RAM. 1 Gb or higher RAM is ideal though. A lot of music programs also require a pretty fast processor, like 512 Mhz or 1 Ghz. But lower end programs can run on much less. Music Generator runs on (I think) like 32 Mb of RAM, but it also lacks the sound quality and audio effects power of stuff like Reason or FL Studio. Like Taucer said, you can do it on pretty much any computer, but faster processor and higher RAM really help alot.

Here's my specs:

AMD Athlon 3000+

512 RAm

Runs FL Studio fine, except for the onboard soundcard issues. I have the Audigy 2 NX USB soundcard, but I really think the SoundMax stock card the laptop came with runs FL better. When I have lots of EWQL silver stuff loaded, it gets really cranky and is rather annoying to work with.

Moral of the story: more RAM, the better. A desktop is really the way to go, but if you have your eyes set on a laptop, you should be fine with any new one.

with a few programs ill be installing or downloading, what requiements will i need?

You'll need a good audio interface, and working with a laptop this means either an USB 2.0 or FireWire interface. PCMCIA is also possible, but it's not as common anymore.

Your laptop needs to have enough internal memory. 512 is a minimum; 1gb is recommended. It's a good idea to dedicate it to making music; having anti-virus and anti-spyware programs running in the back is disastrous for the performance.

also, if i should read any books which might help me on the way.

No, just all the sticky threads.

with a few programs ill be installing or downloading, what requiements will i need?

You'll need a good audio interface, and working with a laptop this means either an USB 2.0 or FireWire interface. PCMCIA is also possible, but it's not as common anymore.

Your laptop needs to have enough internal memory. 512 is a minimum; 1gb is recommended. It's a good idea to dedicate it to making music; having anti-virus and anti-spyware programs running in the back is disastrous for the performance.

also, if i should read any books which might help me on the way.

No, just all the sticky threads.

I do music on my laptop. I use an Echo Indigo IO card. Pretty nice. Sounds awesome performs well.

I also have it partitioned up so I have a version of XP loaded for web, and all kinds of other junk, then another partition which is XP and my music stuff only. No drivers for the network stuff or anything. Oh and it's probably a good idea to just do a clean install of xp when you get a laptop anyways - my dell was so loaded with drivers and applications that weren't needed it actually slowed it down quiiite a bit.

thanxs for the replies, clears it more up :)

yeh the main use of it is strictly music and the net so ill try and get what you guys said as lots of RAM and fast processor. seeing as my bro is an i.t technician i should get a pretty good deal.

as for laptops, how are the speakers on them? should i get plug-in speakers for them? i just think notepads are heaps more conveinent to use.

Laptop speakers are always horrible. Yes, get new speakers for it.

For laptops, I'd recommend one with an Intel Centrino cpu. My 1.83 ghz Centrino is faster than my 3 ghz P4 desktop in the same music applications. Centrinos don't get too hot either so you won't have irritating laptop fan noises. The Centrino is basically the same cpu that they put in the new Macs that everyone raves about. If your host supports multithreading/multi core cpus, try and go for one of the dual core centrinos.

RAM is pretty important, but if you're not going to be using huuuge orchestral and other sample libraries, you can get away with less. 1 GB should be more than enough if that is the case, if you are going to be using large libraries, try and get as much as you can.

as for laptops, how are the speakers on them? should i get plug-in speakers for them? i just think notepads are heaps more conveinent to use.

In that case, get good headphones first if you're not on a big budget and value portability. This subject has also been discussed so search and you shall find something useful :).

5.1 sets aren't useful for 2.0 music. Most computer speaker sets also place emphasis on the bass and high so whatever music you make might sound great on the speaker set and absolutely horrendous on anything else.

Good headphones will be cheaper than studio monitors and portable, and the imaging will be better.

In that case, get good headphones first if you're not on a big budget and value portability. This subject has also been discussed so search and you shall find something useful :).

5.1 sets aren't useful for 2.0 music. Most computer speaker sets also place emphasis on the bass and high so whatever music you make might sound great on the speaker set and absolutely horrendous on anything else.

Good headphones will be cheaper than studio monitors and portable, and the imaging will be better.

lol, dumb question, how do you know if its 5.1 or worse/greater? im lost! whats 2.0 music?