MRI 1-2 Musical Replacement Initiative - Season One, Round Two (WINNER OF ROUND 2 INSIDE!)

Draconiator

MRI_zps0f2bcb66.png

Current News:

We broke the three-way tie, but now we are in a TWO way tie. King Tiger has improved his points position massively over last round, and unlike last round, we have a clear winner!

KING TIGER, WINNER of ROUND 2!

Lets check out the standings so far:

T9 - King Tiger

T9 - liquidwind

8 - Cosmic Sounds

T5 - Ectogemia

T5 - Cash and Change

As you can see, things are pretty much neck and neck going into Round 3 (which I still don't have a source for yet..)...who will come out the champion? One cannot say currently. Everyone is fighting their hardest.

That being said, keep a lookout for the Round 3 post!!!

Round 1 mixes: https://www.box.com/s/k675vrnue3jiqes9pzqq

Round 2 Mixes: https://www.box.com/s/ipgbb2p4npj6ez84uuu8

About Musical Replacement Initiative

Musical Replacement Initiative is intended to give musicians a genre restriction, as to hopefully make them better musicians by potentially working in a genre that they have not tackled yet. In true OCR tradition, all source tunes are from video games,

and you must compose an original in the same genre and the same feeling as that source tune.

Rules

Participants: You must make an original with STRICT ADHERENCE to the source tune as far as genre, and feeling is concerned. Any actual source usage should be none, to extremely minimal. You may use any instruments you like; you are not

restricted to the sonic palette of the source, just the general feeling and genre. By feeling I mean what does it sound like to you? When you close your eyes, what do you see? For example, Burn Bobonga from Chrono Trigger (

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AfvgFfSSk ) makes me think of cavemen dancing around a fire pit, grunting obsceneties at each other. Or something. Auron's Theme from Final Fantasy X (

)

likewise makes me think of a hitchhiker in a futuristic city. Use this to your advantage, when considering what to do.

I may at times throw in a curveball in the form of a source tune that is really hard to get the feel of, like Bokosuka Wars music. This is to keep things fresh, and challenge participants.

Submissions: All entries must be sent to me by the 12PM PST deadline via PM on the forums, with a link to a reliable host for me to download your mix from. Please don't use Tindeck, as it doesn't give you control over what the filename will be

when downloaded. I also recommend you post in this thread that you've submitted your mix, since I know there has been issues in other compos with PM's not being received. Please submit your file as an mp3, preferably encoded at 320kbps, but

no less than 192kbps. Filenames must be in the following format:

Artist - Title (Source and Game).mp3

Example:

WillRock - The Beginning of Everything (Time's Grasslands - Chrono Cross).mp3

Proper file names mean I can do my job of getting the compliation done and posted faster, which means you get to hear the great music produced by this sooner.

Schedule

All deadlines are 12 PM (noon) Eastern time (EST).

Voting (UPDATED):

Votes should be based on, in roughly descending order:

-How much the original feels like the source tune. Can it be put into the game in the source tunes place?

-Usage of source is a no-no here. Any actual source usage should be extremely limited.

-Arrangement

-Production

-Enjoyability

Please vote via PM to me, with your top three. The votes I get will be tallied up. For example, if I get a vote and someone is in third place, and I get another vote with that same person in second place, I just add them up at the end of the round. In

this example, that person gets 3 points on the round. The person with the most points at the end of the season gets to be that season's champion! You may not vote for yourself.

This said, the points will be handled like this:

1st Place: 3 points

2nd Place: 2 points

3rd Place: 1 point

I will throw in a twist too. During the final round, all points are doubled, like so:

1st Place: 6 points

2nd Place: 4 points

3rd place: 2 points

That means come-from-behind wins are possible.

Lets start ROUND TWO!

Entry: Anyone can enter, from vetrans to beginners, just post in the thread that you are entering.

Template based on "ReMixing With The Stars", by MindWanderer

Edited by Doulifée

Not sure I'm cool with that bonus 0.5 points. I've got a busy, hectic life thanks 2 skool, so it's likely I'll be submitting my tunes late each round, so that basically precludes me from getting the bonus. NOT FAIR, BRO

If there's a tie, why not have a bonus round to break the tie? Something quick, like "create a 90 second loop".

MIXES DUE MAY 5, 2013 (extension to May 7 is possible), VOTING IS UNTIL MAY 12, 2013, ROUND 3 STARTS MAY 26, 2013.

Would you mind explaining your reasoning for the gap between rounds? It seems really limiting to allow one week to write a song, followed by 3 weeks of dead time, especially if that week is a busy one for someone who's trying to consistently enter every round.

For me personally, I'd consider it ideal to have a round running at ALL times. The PRC has a brief voting period after each round because the winner chooses the source for the next round. As long as you're making the source selections, I don't see any reason a forced break is necessary. I know you mentioned a PM before asking to space the rounds out, but I think longer rounds would be just as effective at not burning artists out while also allowing more people a chance to get involved.

I'm also a bit thrown off by the first-entry bonus. In a time trial, speed is precisely the goal, so of course it should be rewarded. I think offering an incentive for making music quickly seems counterproductive in this case. Also, I know this thing is in its infancy, and there are still things to be worked out; still, it would be considerate to those who have already participated to let them know what changes you are considering to the rules and scoring before actually implementing them.

My criticism aside, I really do like the concept, and appreciate the efforts to make this compo unique. Thanks for following through!

Would you mind explaining your reasoning for the gap between rounds? It seems really limiting to allow one week to write a song, followed by 3 weeks of dead time, especially if that week is a busy one for someone who's trying to consistently enter every round.

For me personally, I'd consider it ideal to have a round running at ALL times. The PRC has a brief voting period after each round because the winner chooses the source for the next round. As long as you're making the source selections, I don't see any reason a forced break is necessary. I know you mentioned a PM before asking to space the rounds out, but I think longer rounds would be just as effective at not burning artists out while also allowing more people a chance to get involved.

I'm also a bit thrown off by the first-entry bonus. In a time trial, speed is precisely the goal, so of course it should be rewarded. I think offering an incentive for making music quickly seems counterproductive in this case. Also, I know this thing is in its infancy, and there are still things to be worked out; still, it would be considerate to those who have already participated to let them know what changes you are considering to the rules and scoring before actually implementing them.

My criticism aside, I really do like the concept, and appreciate the efforts to make this compo unique. Thanks for following through!

Gonna second all of this. It's definitely a good thing to have a round going at all times so that we all have something to work towards at all times. The bonus point is basically a weekly -0.5 point handicap for me since I likely won't ever be able to submit my track first. Like... it's unfair to the point that if the rule remains, I won't be participating in the compo again because it would make it impossible to win if the rounds remain as close as the first did.

Is there a loop requirement?

Nope, but it's an option.

'

I see your point. Very well then!

Edit: A compo is about bettering yourself as a person musically. I'm trying to accommodate everyone to this end, so this is the reason for changes. Your criticism is well founded and wether it is a NO in the judges forum, or questions here, I appreciate everything :)

Edited by Draconiator

I was kind of on the fence about it to begin with but I'll second ecto's objection to the speed bonus, even though it definitely benefits me(I've done O/2HC's pretty consistently for years, even on a busy day I can make something even if it isn't necessarily good). I could be PMing you an entry right now but like I said, I wanted to take a few cracks at this or maybe actually spend some time on it and refine things, and it's not worth having people drop out over it IMO

Wouldn't it just be easier if Draconiator’s vote was the tie breaking vote? Just as Superior X’s vote was the tie breaking vote in the SZRC…

I mean, I guess, but since this isn't a single-elimination tournament like the SZRC or the GRMRB, et al., who cares if there's a tie at the end of any given week? The odds of there being a tie at the end of the whole compo are pretty low, so that weekly 0.5 point bonus is just sort of a meritless additional boost to whomever has the most free time :P

If there's a tie at the end of the compo, I believe the fairest and most appropriate way to break it is to have the tied artists create a short track/loop and open up voting on that. This is a music competition, after all. It only makes sense to break ties with more music.

I mean, I guess, but since this isn't a single-elimination tournament like the SZRC or the GRMRB, et al., who cares if there's a tie at the end of any given week? The odds of there being a tie at the end of the whole compo are pretty low, so that weekly 0.5 point bonus is just sort of a meritless additional boost to whomever has the most free time :P

If there's a tie at the end of the compo, I believe the fairest and most appropriate way to break it is to have the tied artists create a short track/loop and open up voting on that. This is a music competition, after all. It only makes sense to break ties with more music.

Duly noted Ecto. I was going to do that too. 30 second jingle compo GO lol

Although changing the points AGAIN might make people angry.