Weird gaming habits you have?

nOkbient

Sometimes when I play games, I do things a bit oddly. For instance, in games like the Elder Scrolls series, I'll role play and do things that I really don't need to do. I'll sleep in beds at night, eat food, etc. It just makes the game more enjoyable for me!

At the same time, i'll look for ways to "break" games. I love finding glitches and bugs, and i'll deliberately seek them out.

Those are actually common, I assume, but probably the weirdest thing I do is I totally clean and organize my gaming area ever time I get a new game. I feel like I can't start playing it until everything is comfortably clean...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm sure I'm not the only one who does stuff like this...

Edited by nOkbient

I have to wear shorts or pj pants when I start a new game. Mostly because I really put a large chunk of time (for me) into games when I start them - usually at least 2 1/2 hours, compared to the 30 minutes I can usually manage to spend on a game at a time - and I've GOT to be comfortable when I do.

Not sure if it's "weird," per se, but using any controller thumbstick without having the Y-axis inverted is an abomination to me. I largely started out my gaming career playing Descent using a joystick, so the flight-style stick setup was ingrained into my brain from a young age. Even with a mouse, though I keep the Y-axis normal for FPSes and the like, any time I'm controlling something that's flying, it needs to be inverted, or else my brain breaks.

When I play any cartrage game, I need to save twice, and usually in two different slots. I once had a bad experience with my FF3/FF6 game wiping because somebody bumped the reset button, so now I want to be absolutely sure something will save. I find myself still doing this with Zelda games.

I also replay certain games every year at a certain time, or at least I used to when I had the free time. I replay Castlevania: Lament of Innocence every Christmas, I replay Metroid Prime every winter (usually in the room with the fireplace), and I'd replay Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast every summer. I'd sneak a FF7 replay sometime in there too, usually in fall.

And then I combine the two: when I replay Skies of Arcadia, I need two VMUs to save on, just in case one dies on me.

Not sure if it's "weird," per se, but using any controller thumbstick without having the Y-axis inverted is an abomination to me. I largely started out my gaming career playing Descent using a joystick, so the flight-style stick setup was ingrained into my brain from a young age. Even with a mouse, though I keep the Y-axis normal for FPSes and the like, any time I'm controlling something that's flying, it needs to be inverted, or else my brain breaks.

I used to have the same problem. Magic Carpet and Descent were the two games (well, and NHL 95) I had growing up that were worth playing growing up until I got a Gameboy at 11 years of age, and let me tell you, to this day it still messes with my mind whenever I'm playing an FPS or flight sim and the joystick doesn't invert when I go to fly.

Man, I miss playing Descent.

I also replay certain games every year at a certain time, or at least I used to when I had the free time. I replay Castlevania: Lament of Innocence every Christmas, I replay Metroid Prime every winter (usually in the room with the fireplace), and I'd replay Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast every summer. I'd sneak a FF7 replay sometime in there too, usually in fall.

I had the habit of replaying Super Mario World on Halloween for a few years (not so much anymore), and I make it a point to play both of the NES Zelda games at least once a year.

Back in the days when my NES was hooked up to an ancient 13-inch TV which was slowly dying, I would listen to comedy records while playing. As a result, I have a few wonderful memories linked to certain routines. For example, Bill Cosby talking about going to monster movies with friends and never seeing the monsters because they were too scared to look at them is irreversibly tied to Desert Hill in Super Mario 3 and parts of Mappy-Land.

That may not necessarily qualify as a "habit" but I still enjoy listening to humour and music while playing games, so similar memories are likely to occur in future.

Ok, now for a slightly more serious answer than my last one. I'm a pathological completionist. For instance, I *hate* that new games have achievements because it distracts me from, like, just playing the damn game because instead I find myself doing retarded, repetitive tasks just to complete the next achievement. Reason #230942398 I stick with retro games... although I don't really play games all that often anymore D:

i almost always play games seasonally. Like every winter i bust out darkstone and chrono cross, where summer sees me replaying legaia, or some other jrpg i still havent beaten yet. once in a while i play newer games, but not often. this cycle works since it usually takes me a few years to actually play enough to beat games.

i sorta do the same with elder scrolls games. when i first played morrowind i spent numerous hours figuring out how to steal nearly everything in the starter town ( including everything in the census office) without being caught or incurring a fine.

Ok, now for a slightly more serious answer than my last one. I'm a pathological completionist. For instance, I *hate* that new games have achievements because it distracts me from, like, just playing the damn game because instead I find myself doing retarded, repetitive tasks just to complete the next achievement. Reason #230942398 I stick with retro games... although I don't really play games all that often anymore D:

Achievements don't bother me so much. What bother me are the games with infinite quests (a la Skyrim's Radiant AI). I like being able to reach that sense of completion -- of finality. I will spend an ungodly number of hours completing the most mundane tasks in a game, but if the quests never run out, then I can never finish the game. :(

... I'll role play and do things that I really don't need to do. I'll sleep in beds at night, eat food, etc. It just makes the game more enjoyable for me!

When I was little, I would do this with snes rpgs, like Illusions of Gaia and FFVI, or even A Link to the Past. It was my version of "house" I guess.

Today, I put the subtitles on all games that offer them in cutscenses. It's not because I can't hear well...its...well I dunno why I gotta, I just do!

And it seems that for the past 3 years, I've played a Zelda game over the summer. It can vary between retro ones and the newer games, but it's almost never failed I get that nostalgia urge for a particular zelda. xp

When I play any cartrage game, I need to save twice, and usually in two different slots. I once had a bad experience with my FF3/FF6 game wiping because somebody bumped the reset button, so now I want to be absolutely sure something will save. I find myself still doing this with Zelda games.

For me I did this with PS1 games, Id save it on two memory cards after I had an FF7 and FF9 save file get wiped. I can still hear the error noise. Truly awful.

I do both of those too. I also had a bad experience with my FF6 save. I was at Kefka at the very freaking end, and then I decided to start another file for god knows what reason. Well, long story short, I saved over my main file on accident. I died a little inside.

As for seasonal games, I have a few:

-Donkey Kong 64 is strictly a winter game for me. No reason. Maybe because it's so colorful? Also in winter, I play Skyrim and Demon's Souls.

-In spring I play Oblivion, Silent Hill 1 and 2, Twilight Princess, and the Spyro games. I also play NES games a lot in spring.

-In summer, I have more. I play Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, the Banjo Kazooie games, and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Apart from n64 games I also play all the SNES classics except Super Metroid, Earthbound, and A Link to the Past.

- And in fall I play Castlevania 1-4 as well as other spooky thingies, and after Halloween I play Final Fantasy 9, Super Metroid, Earthbound, A Link to the Past, and Silent Hill 3.

Obviously I don't play these every year, just some of them. That, and the only game I'm actually strict about is DK64. I can ONLY play that at Xmas time :3.