Weird gaming habits you have?

nOkbient

I have a special relation to timeframes and games when I remember good things that happened, like Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana at the end of summer, Grandia 2 around Christmas and Xenogears around now.

And if I really dive into an RPG I play in the evening with accompanied by a load of alcohol

for real. the reminds me of how certain food and smells go well with games ive played.

I LOVE playing darkstone, or some other diablo similar games in the early morning during winter with a nice way-too-fucking-big glass of egg nog ( not spiked) and the volume cranked on the game.

the smell you get when you mix like 8 kinds of scented soap? yep, that reminds me of perfect dark in the summer time. my mom used to mix soap scraps in a jar of water which she had in her room for whatever reason ( where the tv and n64 were) so every time i smell that, its a nice nostalgia rush.

lets not forget the " take a sip/bite of soda/food in between rounds" whenever people play fighting games. 2-3 cans of soda an hour when i was a highschooler polishing his tekken skills.

Edited by Esperado

I always put romantic pairs together when building parties. Locke and Celes were ALWAYS in the same party, for example.

I have one where I use all the characters available to me in the game. Even the terrible ones. For some reason, it drives me nuts to see people playing an RPG or fighting game or whatever and only use the same 4 best characters throughout the entire game. I hate that shit.

I have one where I use all the characters available to me in the game. Even the terrible ones. For some reason, it drives me nuts to see people playing an RPG or fighting game or whatever and only use the same 4 best characters throughout the entire game. I hate that shit.

I try to mix it up on replays, but I just can't bring myself to use Gau or Cait Sith. Especially since they get in the way of my OCD romantic-pair thing. Though I did do the imp trick with Gau once, and that wasn't so bad.

When I play RPGs anymore I usually have a habit of making characters I can relate to which also defines my class. I name males after myself obviously and they are always of the Knight/melee variety however I always have a female counterpart of myself "Nicole" that will always be ranged. This dates back for as long as I can remember.

For some reason, when there's the option to be either a male or female character, I usually chose the female character first, just to see if there's a difference (except pokemon, I'm not exactly comfortable playing a 12 yo girl). Also, I never chose the option to rename things.

When I'm playing any 'Legend of Zelda' game, I always name my character Link. Who else would come up with that name? ;-P

On a more serious note, my friends find it quite weird I have an obsession for RogueLikes. I like the ... well, randomness of these games. Also, the concept of permadeath really helps creating a certain 'fear' of dieing in these games. I have not won any of the games I played in the last 4 years, but I'm slowly becoming better at not killing myself with stupidity!

Cheers, NinjaN

Ohh, I have one really weird one.

When I'm in deep, deep concentration in a competitive game, I start humming loudly and don't even notice. If it's a racing game, I'll usually do it along with the engine, but otherwise it's a song or just random notes.

My parents used to think I was autistic or just plain retarded. I even did it one time in grade school when they brought in some sort of educational computer game. The memory of my whole class looking at me like WTF and the teacher taking the headphones off to make me stop is one of my earliest embarrassing memories.

For me I did this with PS1 games, Id save it on two memory cards after I had an FF7 and FF9 save file get wiped. I can still hear the error noise. Truly awful.

I was obsessive with making multiple saves of Final Fantasy games, especially on PS1 and PS2. I went nuts with FF7 and FF10. The issue I ran into was that my brother and I would accidentally save over each other's files. This wasn't a problem with Xbox, thanks to having different profiles.

Haven't done this in awhile but ever since my first one I can only finish a JRPG on a 4+ hour play session late at night on saturday. Usually that's closing any side quests+ the final dungeon+ the ending+ the credits

Sometimes followed by a midnight run to the grocery store for a victory donut. .

I do this all the time, even when I have school in the morning. However, instead of a donut, I prefer a bag of victory salt & vinegar chips.

Also, my favorite game systems are handhelds. I spend the most time playing on those, I think. However, I only play them in one place - My bed...

I was obsessive with making multiple saves of Final Fantasy games, especially on PS1 and PS2. I went nuts with FF7 and FF10. The issue I ran into was that my brother and I would accidentally save over each other's files. This wasn't a problem with Xbox, thanks to having different profiles.

The first time I played through FFVII I switched to a new memory card midway through the game. It was one of those POS's that compressed the data so you had 30 memory cards for the price of one. Well I was on disc 3 and about to beat the game when the thing corrupted and the last save I had on my old memory card was all the way back in Cosmo Canyon on disc 1. Had to replay somewhere around 50 hours of the game and breed another damn gold chocobo...

On RPGs that have visible enemies (like, not random battles) I have to kill every enemy on the screen, always. I usually end a bit overleveled because of that :mrgreen:

When I was younger I also had the habit of getting every single coin in Mario games. Like, in Mario 64 I wanted to have all the coins in all the levels, even if you only needed 100 for the star. Later games have made coins less important so I don't do that anymore...

On RPGs that have visible enemies (like, not random battles) I have to kill every enemy on the screen, always. I usually end a bit overleveled because of that :mrgreen:

Oh, I have a similar tendency: for RPGs with random battles, I never escape from the random battles; incidentally, this often removes most, if not all, of the grinding necessary for completing the game.

In FPS games, I will occasionally have this idea that I have turned around too many times in one direction,

I fix this by turning around the opposite way until I feel that I have corrected this. Not really slowly or any thing, just quick spins on the spot (or even moving). Then for some amount of time afterwards, I will try to keep this corrected by turning around only in certain directions or amounts to keep it balanced. Eventually I forget about this until it pops up again (which might be later in the same map, or the next day, or months later).

I'm not OCD or anything, but for some reason, I don't like to have turned too many times in either direction. And only in FPSs.

I don't get it either.

I remembered other weird stuff I do when playing RPGs.

I can't sell old weapons or items. I need to have every item all the time, I even buy weapons I know that I won't use just because I want to have them on my inventory. Games with limited inventories destroy me...

This paid off in one FF though where you needed to use old weapons against one boss!

My weirdest habit is that I dislike having items in numbers that aren't multiples of 5. So, if I have 2 antidotes, I usually go and buy 3 more to have 5.

I have a special relation to timeframes and games when I remember good things that happened, like Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana at the end of summer, Grandia 2 around Christmas and Xenogears around now.

And if I really dive into an RPG I play in the evening with accompanied by a load of alcohol

Drinking alcohol and smoking cigars or weed while playing; the thrill of gaming adds to the buzz. I'll smoke with no hands while playing the game because I want to do both. While playing any SSB game, I'll talk non-serious cocky shit with my competitors in the room, even if I know that I'm going to lose. Friendly competition.

I should get a beer hat too, then I can alternate between drinking and smoking while gaming.

I

I can't sell old weapons or items. I need to have every item all the time, I even buy weapons I know that I won't use just because I want to have them on my inventory. Games with limited inventories destroy me...

This paid off in one FF though where you needed to use old weapons against one boss!

This. I always get paranoid that a game is going to pull that old trick where you have to only have certain equipment, or you're forced to use only the starting weapons, so I just keep them for as long as I have the space.

Sometimes when I play games, I do things a bit oddly. For instance, in games like the Elder Scrolls series, I'll role play and do things that I really don't need to do. I'll sleep in beds at night, eat food, etc. It just makes the game more enjoyable for me!

At the same time, i'll look for ways to "break" games. I love finding glitches and bugs, and i'll deliberately seek them out.

Those are actually common, I assume, but probably the weirdest thing I do is I totally clean and organize my gaming area ever time I get a new game. I feel like I can't start playing it until everything is comfortably clean...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm sure I'm not the only one who does stuff like this...

I have a couple of Skyrim role-playing examples:

When I played the Diplomatic Immunity mission, I made a point to kill all the Thalmor I could...but then I spent an extra half hour dragging all the Thalmor bodies into the best hiding spots I could find and making sure no limbs were poking out conspicuously. That way, other Thalmor making a quick inspection wouldn't notice anything obviously amiss, other than the quietness and lack of guards. (This was quite difficult outside, because the game didn't want to let me drag bodies uphill...) When one of them dropped his glass sword, I stuffed it in a cupboard so nobody would see it on the floor.

Also, whenever I find an NPC who obtained their wealth dishonestly or otherwise wronged someone, I go in their house and take or eat all of their food...ALL of it, sparing nothing. I also take all of their "fine" clothes and jewelry, etc. Maven Black-Briar must be getting pretty hungry in my game, but I sadly don't have the right perks to steal her clothes off her back and replace them with a blacksmith's apron. I'm the head of the Thieves Guild myself though, so I need to be careful not to be a total hypocrite: Whenever I have to steal from good NPC's for the Thieves Guild, I make sure to compensate them with a ton of extra business or by dropping off extra valuables in their containers.

I could also say that I always sniff the instruction booklet every time I get a new game, but...apparently that's really common here. 8)

Please say you made an exception for the poor Imps and Roly playing with each other and minding their own business in Truce Canyon. :cry:

I just talk to everything. I have like a connection with game characters.

I have, in fact, had a crush on a few female characters from games.

I have to talk with everyone too. In fact, I have to explore every possible non-mutually-exclusive dialog option, and if I'm allowed to give multiple answers to the same question repeatedly, I have to make sure I answer with the most polite option last, before I leave an NPC. If I die or forget to save after a conversation in a game like Skyrim or Mass Effect, I force myself to go through the entire dialog tree again, even if taking the "cut the conversation short" options the second time around would change nothing about the game.

Edited by Mini-Me