Mega Man & Sonic the Hedgehog - Blue Bomber Blue Blur Collision Competition

DarkeSword

I could certainly use the time as well, I'm scrambling to finish right now... but spending that time on next week's mix is probably just as good.
I take it back. Should have been in bed and asleep 5 minutes ago, but I think this is as good as it's gonna get. The fact that I had no idea what to do with Aquatic Base will be painfully obvious, methinks.

I'm all for keeping the deadline, but that's just because I'm ready to submit and I think it would be good to curtail one week to be on track as opposed to continually pushing dates.

EDIT: Just submitted. jnWake, I'm looking forward to what you've got to throw at me, I'm pretty excited about my track this week.

Edited by Ethan Rex

Entry submitted!

Getting the EQ just right was definitely a big challenge with this mix; I'm not sure who won that 'battle'.

Also, I did have a couple of ideas left, but I wasn't quite able to "translate" them from idea to DAW.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty happy with this one, and I'm most certainly looking forward to everyone's entries! :-D

Win or lose, it was honor competing against you, jefepatronjoshi.

Edited by Mr. L

I'll announce matchups tonight. This week's mixing session will go Sunday-to-Sunday. First week was just an anomaly.
Sooner rather than later please. The more time to work on this during the weekend--especially a weekend when my wife is out of town--the better.

@Mr. L: At least you know how to EQ at all. It's still a big mystery to me, for the most part. Submitted.

Damn, too bad we couldn't get more time, it took me nearly forever to get something out of Tuberz source and it's still nearly nothing... My submission was more or less last nights drunk work :P Well I don't want to forfeit, but it's not really something interesting or good so I submitted anyway...

My entry has been submitted. Not my best work, but I was crunched for time. Too many competitions at once, plus my brother's graduation yesterday.

By the way, I accidentally put "Sonic Team" instead of "Blue Blurs" in my submission PM. Probably not an issue (I hope), but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Voting as I go through them.

Yami - Pretty good, but it didn't really hold my interest. In fact, my attention didn't pick up until...

Tuberz McGee - 0:33 in this song. Great work Tuberz. Nice usage of SANIC VOCAL CLIPZ.

Mr. L - Pretty chill track here; I would've liked to see who you were goin' up against's track. Likin' it all the same though ^.^

jnWake - Ooh, very chill. Nice tempo goin' here, really nice. Not much mix-up though; it's nice but the lack of variety aside from that one solo is a bit of a let-down. Feels a bit drawn out, to be honest.

therex - High-energy from the get-go. Speedy and entertaining, fitting for the song from the Sonic side. Your solo is also very high-energy. Very enjoyable track. Ends right when it should. Also lovin' the name, for what should be obvious reasons :D

Cash and Change - The title makes me think of Marble Madness, just sayin'. Rather abrupt transition between the sources, but it works in its own way. Ends abruptly as well. :/

MindWanderer - Midi-sounding guitars kick in not too long after the end and continue throughout the track. I don't know why, but for some reason I got a slight Crash vibe at around the 1:40 mark. Not much goin' on though. Like jnWake's track, it feels a bit drawn-out, longer than it should be.

Cosmic Sounds - Rather slow and dramatic, this one. Fitting given the name, I suppose. Very deliberate pacing, though. Sounds like the soundtrack to an old movie, to be honest. Tough call here.

Edited by Mirby

My ideas aren't gelling as well as I'd hoped, so long auditory break to do some reviews.

1. Prison of Needles: For its length, it takes a long time to get going--it's a third over before either source starts. I can hear Prison Lane, but it's pretty quiet and there isn't much of it. Try to spread your frequencies out a bit more--Prison Lane is all in the high bass range, and it gets buried under the mid range melody, and there's no high at all.
  2. Checkmate: Very nice work! Probably the best production I've heard out of you. Good setup from traditional re-instrumentation to interpretation to original work back to interpretation, and then the pacing is pretty much perfect from then on, too. The last verse did get a little muddy, but that's my only complaint, other than the fact that Prison Lane is second fiddle here again.
  3. Chrome: Two tough sources to try to integrate here. Try to get some more melody in there next time--there's a lot of this aharmonious ambient sound, which is nice for original work, but as a remix it doesn't quite do the job. And then there's the lack of ending. Keep working on it, though!
  4. Spin Like Turbo Man: Nice use of the Toxic Caves bass line, but the Turbo Man melody is a bit hard to pin down. It's recognizable, but I wouldn't have picked it up if I wasn't listening for it specifically. Great original content, just too much of it. And I have to agree with Mirby on this one, each section is a bit longer than it has to be, IMHO.
  5. TurboTox: Great arrangement, but God, the instrumentation! A little too much use of the whole spectrum--really low lows, downright painful highs, and I'm not a fan of the "wandering" panning. Awesome solo, though! Good use and interpretation of the whole Toxic Caves. I couldn't pick out more than a hint of Turbo Man, though.
  6. Quicker than Marbles: There's that wandering panning again.... The Marble Zone part is the start of a good remix of it alone, but the transition between sources is really awkward, they just sound crossfaded together, and the ending is equally abrupt.
  7. The Waking of Sha Wujing: I really need to work on the very low end, it always sounds good to me at first, but everyone else did a much better job in that department. I definitely need practice on EQ and balance. This is my first time working with electric guitar soundfonts and I guess it shows. But I'm proud of how I made use of both themes in their entirety and integrated them together, though some of the transitions are a little weak--oddly, most the transitions are taken almost verbatim from Aquatic Base, they just sound better against its ambient background.
  8. SoulAquas: Nice harmonies on the low end. Definitely going to try for that myself in the upcoming rounds. Aquatic Base is so minimalistic that when you arrange it at all liberally, it instantly becomes unrecognizable, and I think that happened here. Not a fan of that ending, it feels like you kind of ran out of ideas. Overall a really lovely piece, though, I look forward to hearing more like it. I appreciate the chance to go up against you, and hope to do it again!

Spin Like Turbo Man: Nice use of the Toxic Caves bass line, but the Turbo Man melody is a bit hard to pin down. It's recognizable, but I wouldn't have picked it up if I wasn't listening for it specifically. Great original content, just too much of it. And I have to agree with Mirby on this one, each section is a bit longer than it has to be, IMHO.

Just wanted to point out the source usage. Maybe the slower tempo (taken from Toxic Caves) makes the Turbo Man sections harder to recognize. Anyway, parts from Turbo Man are:

- Lead in the first section is the first lead from Turbo Man.

- Second section is a variation of Turbo Man's second section.

- The bright lead thingies at 2:28 are playing the third section of Turbo Man's theme (the same section that Rex used a lot in his song :-P )

I didn't feel the song was too long but I'll look into it if I ever polish this mix.

I'll be posting my reviews soon!