Mega Man & Sonic the Hedgehog - Blue Bomber Blue Blur Collision Competition

DarkeSword

Subbed. I wanted to branch out and try something new this week, and I think I did that, even if I didn't have enough time...

ANYWAY HERE'S THE SOURCE

Beginning chords - the intro from Neptune

Picked bass line at :07 - loosely tied to the arp-ish part of Neptune

Lead at :19 until :47 - Toxic Cave

Lead at :54 - Neptune lead

Flute at 1:08 - the Toxic cave thing i used a lot last time

1:22 - that B section from Neptune

Picked bass at 1:22 - the Toxic cave thing i used a lot last time

1:43 - a reprise of :19, still toxic cave lead.

Hopefully that helps as a guide as you listen, I hope you enjoy!

EDIT: I counted up the votes, and unless Darkesword's vote counts for 4, it seems that I've lost first round - I'm glad it was to a stellar track like jnWake's. He definitely earned the win, and thanks for everyone for expressing their love and distress at having to pick a victor in our match up - I could only imagine how hard it was!

Edited by Ethan Rex

MindWanderer: I find it interesting that our songs opened out in pretty much the same way xD. I like the Ethnic instrument in the beginning, an ehru I believe. Overall it's a great piece. :) Also, I'm curious about the title of your song, is it a reference to someone/thing? I'm curious to know.
Yep, MiniErhu is one of my favorite VSTi's.

The members of the Genesis Unit are named after the protagonists of Journey to the West, an ancient and well-known piece of Chinese fantasy literature and the source of many other modern media, from the cartoon Magic Monkey to the game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. The "S" in Mega Water S is for his model, Sha Wujing. Who was more of an evil/reformed spirit who happened to be trapped in a river bed, and not so much a water spirit himself. In most English adaptations, he's based on sand rather than water.

Although I really didn't have a solid vision before starting the piece, I came to be inspired by the notion of Sha Wujing, trapped and asleep in the river until he was freed by the monk Xuanzang.

Speaking of which, my entry this week was very much based on a narrative I had in my head. Which I will now relate. When listening, see if you can follow along with the imagery:

Through a series of events, Amy Rose has found herself hunting for Mega Water S in his undersea lair. Expecting a dank cave, she is surprised to find a vaulted marble chamber, with sunlight barely filtering through the water above. As she steps into the chamber, music begins to play, and an elegant, mysterious figure begins to dance.

Enamored by the dashing stranger, Amy dances along, oblivious to his cruel nature. His dancing holds her enraptured as his robotic army masses just outside the grand hall. Gradually, Amy becomes aware of the threat and tries to break free. Each time she changes direction, the stranger moves to block her; each time she spins, his mocking movements place him squarely in her way.

At last, Amy shakes free the enrapturing effects on her and squares off, ready to fight against Mega Water S and his robots.

EDIT: I counted up the votes, and unless Darkesword's vote counts for 4, it seems that I've lost first round - I'm glad it was to a stellar track like jnWake's. He definitely earned the win, and thanks for everyone for expressing their love and distress at having to pick a victor in our match up - I could only imagine how hard it was!

Your track was pretty good! I believe you were ahead most of the time in the votes except well... right now :-P

My mix for this round is almost ready. It's closer to my usual style than my round 1 song, but I tried some neat experiments for this one. Hope you like it!

Speaking of which, my entry this week was very much based on a narrative I had in my head. Which I will now relate. When listening, see if you can follow along with the imagery:

Through a series of events, Amy Rose has found herself hunting for Mega Water S in his undersea lair. Expecting a dank cave, she is surprised to find a vaulted marble chamber, with sunlight barely filtering through the water above. As she steps into the chamber, music begins to play, and an elegant, mysterious figure begins to dance.

Enamored by the dashing stranger, Amy dances along, oblivious to his cruel nature. His dancing holds her enraptured as his robotic army masses just outside the grand hall. Gradually, Amy becomes aware of the threat and tries to break free. Each time she changes direction, the stranger moves to block her; each time she spins, his mocking movements place him squarely in her way.

At last, Amy shakes free the enrapturing effects on her and squares off, ready to fight against Mega Water S and his robots.

Awesome, man. I love it when the music has a story behind it - it makes it that more immersible.

Submitted my entry!

A lot of the source usage is in the chords used, hope you notice that (for example, the chord progression from the section with the synthetic drums is taken from the second section of Chrome Gadget, but I used Turbo Man's melody over it).

I feel like I could've polished a bit more, but I think it's a pretty fun song anyway. Hope this one doesn't bore you Mirby :-P

Entry submitted!

For this one, I resurrected an old concept I tried 2 years ago... of course, I'm not sure if it's any better now, but I wanted to give it a try nonetheless! :)

As for source usage, Turbo Man's almost everywhere - he really drives this mix forward! In the second section of the song, I flip the two sources and try two parts of their respective basslines as leads - Turbo Man is the 'bell-like synth', and the Chrome Gadget Zone is the short-lived arpeggio... - albeit briefly. A part of Chrome Gadget Zone - Melody B then leads into the final part of the song. The second part of Turbo Man's melody is used... a lot - it just worked so well.

EQ isn't the greatest in some places - the snare, at times - and I'm not sure if I 'mixed / rewrote too much' in some places, but, overall, I'm pretty happy with this one!

Nonetheless, win or lose - it was an honor competing against you, jnWake. :grin:

@Cosmic Sounds - Thanks for the comments! I'm glad and honored that you liked it! :)

And with all of that said, I really enjoyed the Round 1 entries! I'm most certainly looking forward to hearing everyone's entries this round!

Edited by Mr. L

Yeah, so I'm at mom's house on her computer (still no access to my computer and beatz). Figured I'd fill you guys in.

We've had visitors living in our attic for a while but they never really bothered us aside from some occasional chattering or maybe some nuts hitting the floor (ceiling) so we kind of just let them be.

I came home one day and some of my ceiling tiles were on the floor instead of the ceiling, leaving gaping holes in my ceiling. I thought, "well, this isn't right. Ceiling tiles are supposed to be in the ceiling, not the floor." As I dialed my landlord, I heard scratching and chattering coming from under my bed.

I left immediately and have been living somewhere else since then. I told the landlord about the squirrel monster under my bed and that I'd be living out of town until it was taken care of. She said she'd get someone on it but it's been about two weeks now and all I've heard is that they confirmed it was squirrels :|

My entry is in! Since my mix last round was terrible, I made sure to put in a ton of work this time around! I'm definitely happy with my entry this time.

By the way, forgot to vote yesterday, sorry guys! I'll post reviews to make up for it!

Yeah, so I'm at mom's house on her computer (still no access to my computer and beatz). Figured I'd fill you guys in.

We've had visitors living in our attic for a while but they never really bothered us aside from some occasional chattering or maybe some nuts hitting the floor (ceiling) so we kind of just let them be.

I came home one day and some of my ceiling tiles were on the floor instead of the ceiling, leaving gaping holes in my ceiling. I thought, "well, this isn't right. Ceiling tiles are supposed to be in the ceiling, not the floor." As I dialed my landlord, I heard scratching and chattering coming from under my bed.

I left immediately and have been living somewhere else since then. I told the landlord about the squirrel monster under my bed and that I'd be living out of town until it was taken care of. She said she'd get someone on it but it's been about two weeks now and all I've heard is that they confirmed it was squirrels :|

Fuckin' squirrels. I left my car windows open last month in my own driveway (cuz it was nice out). An hour later, I get into my car, and I hear some rummaging in the backseat. I immediately jump out and run around the other side of the car to see a squirrel climb out of the window and dash away. I look into the backseat to see that the squirrel had chewed through the plastic of a tube of my son's mini M&M's THAT WERE STILL SEALED.

The M&M's were almost completely gone, and there were bits of plastic all around the backseat of the car. Fuckin' squirrels.

So on the one hand, I have Theory of N as my opponent, choosing a fairly complex source that I'm not sure what to do with. On the other hand, I have an unspecified number of squirrels as unexpected saboteurs.

So if my sciurine allies can keep up their work all week, I may actually pull off a win. Unfortunately I'm sure T of N can make something in an hour that will be better than what takes me the whole week, so they'd better not slack off.

So on the one hand, I have Theory of N as my opponent, choosing a fairly complex source that I'm not sure what to do with. On the other hand, I have an unspecified number of squirrels as unexpected saboteurs.

I know exactly what you mean. Took me way too long to figure out what I was going to do with this. It ended up being another case of too little, too late.

I do have a very short WIP...probably wouldn't have submitted anything anyway, but definitely wasn't going to take a cheap win knowing there was no competition. It's on to the next round now, so there's probably only a very slim chance of me coming back to this.

That being said, just so you guys know I am actually doing something (and also because I think the tiny bit that's here is a lot of fun), here's my untitled WIP for Round 2 - Quick Man in the Green Grove Zone.

stats.png