Mega Man & Sonic the Hedgehog - Blue Bomber Blue Blur Collision Competition

DarkeSword

REVIEW TIEM

Cosmic Sounds - Well it does have a very hopeful feel to it, but it also feels like a requiem a bit. Rather sudden ending as well. Still, nice,

Tubbers Maggie - Starts out energetic, but a bit more low-key than last week's track. Really enjoyable, and very nicely done. Great finale! oh and lol yoloswag lol

jnWake - Well right off the bat I'm far more interested than I was last week. You pretty much took the dormant energy from last week's track that went unused and applied it to this week's track, and then used the energy for this week's track and... also applied it to this week's track. Also ends exactly where it should, which is great as well. :D

Mr. L - Ooh, pretty great intro. Very nicely done. Kinda got lost in it, to be honest... But yeah, great listen. Kinda repetitive a bit, but aside from that very well done.

Zerothe - Sounds are a bit flat to me... Great arrangement, just the sounds could use some work. The soundscape could be much much richer.

ethan - In terms of this match up, I see you hoped to TRUMP IT! DOHOHOHOHO

Seriously though, nice trumpet. Diggin' that arrangement, but like Zerothe's, the soundscape could be fuller. though you told me it wasn't because you ran out of time, so there's that. Very fun to listen to though.

MindWanderer - Very precise placement of everything in this track. This could easily work in a movie soundtrack or something.

Cash and Change - Likin' that title. Pretty funky track here, I have to say. Really enjoyed this one, especially when that Marble Zone melody came in.

great work from all involved this week. can't wait for next week.

Thanks for the comments, Mirby! :-)

Repetition is still a problem that I have... trying to work on that, but it just keeps finding its way into my mixes. :cry:

On another note, excellent entries, everyone!

And great job on your entry, jnWake! :)

Just like I said in that message, your mix reminds me of something from Wario Land: Shake It! - one of my favorite game soundtracks.

...and to be honest, that kind of stuff is what I wish I could do... one day... one day...8)

Edited by Mr. L

Since Rexy dinged me on even balance of sources in my Week 2 mix, here's the breakdown:

0:02 - 0:23: Mega Water S, A part

0:23 - 0:30: Mega Water S, A part over Marble Zone, B part

0:30 - 0:59: Marble Zone, A part

1:06 - 1:35: Mega Water S, B part

1:35 - 2:40: Marble Zone, A part

2:40 - 3:13: Mega Water S, B part

3:13 - 3:33: Mega Water S, B part over Marble Zone, A part

That works out to 110 seconds of Mega Water S, 121 seconds of Marble Zone, but of those, 27 seconds of Marble Zone are played as counterpoint, so that works out to pretty darn close to a 1:1 ratio.

Since Rexy dinged me on even balance of sources in my Week 2 mix, here's the breakdown:

0:02 - 0:23: Mega Water S, A part

0:23 - 0:30: Mega Water S, A part over Marble Zone, B part

0:30 - 0:59: Marble Zone, A part

1:06 - 1:35: Mega Water S, B part

1:35 - 2:40: Marble Zone, A part

2:40 - 3:13: Mega Water S, B part

3:13 - 3:33: Mega Water S, B part over Marble Zone, A part

That works out to 110 seconds of Mega Water S, 121 seconds of Marble Zone, but of those, 27 seconds of Marble Zone are played as counterpoint, so that works out to pretty darn close to a 1:1 ratio.

That definitely helps!

Don't get me wrong - your idea this week is extremely creative and has a great amount of potential. It's even a sweet change in direction from your Week 1 track :)

The problem I had with the track when I first heard it was that I didn't hear Marble Zone all that clearly until right at the end. Mega Water S wasn't a problem at all in comparison, so that worked well in its favor. Even with the breakdown and comparing it to the track, it appears to me that Marble Zone was handled very liberally in comparison, which seems to justify my initial struggle to point it out.

Even if the track failed to grab my vote for this week, I still have to say I'm seeing creative potential with you. I even acknowledged that on Friday night and I really hope you can keep bringing those ideas forward and refining your approach :)

REVIEW TIME!

zerothemaster - you always seem to improve consistently every time I hear you, which is a great thing. Soundscape starts off a little bare and stays that way. I like the instrumentation ideas here, but there's a lack of energy that I'm not diggin. You're pretty solid on the improvement though, so solid work!

Mr. L - Energy builds in the beginning, and I can tell there's more of an effort to incorporate melody here, and the instrumentation sounds very pretty, but the arrangement feels like a large intro that would climax into something truly epic.

jnWake - Definite Megaman 7 vibe i'm gettin here. Drums pump some energy into the track. Nice change-up to keep things interesting. I know I always say this, but your stuff gives off an old OCR vibe that I love. Solid track.

Mindwanderer - solid jump in production that I appreciate, the bass might be a TAD loud, but nothing too much. Arrangement is nice, sensed a little dissonance that I didn't like around 1:00 but that's also a nitpick. My only real issue is that sometimes things seem sparse or flat, pulling energy from the track. Ending seems to go a bit long.

Cash&Change - dat drum is pretty loud man XD. Things build up in the intro, creating a industrial feel that i'm diggin. Soundscape still sounds a tad bare throughout most of it, but its leagues ahead of last week and also a good improvement on what you normally pump out, so solid job.

Cosmic Sounds - Nice improvement from last week in terms of production. Just wish there was more.

Tuberz McButts - sexy 80s drums. Synths sound a little bare in the beginning, but the gweeetars come in to solve that problem. Stop being so fucking good (jk bby i <3 u)

Review :):

Tuberz McGee: Nice use of Burst Man's Theme! This song has a lot of energy, nice job!

jnWake: This match-up was a very tough decision. Your song is amazing. Nice use of the guitars, sources, and overall energy in your song. Great ending as well.

Mr.L: Your track belongs on Mario Kart 7. (end of review).

Seriously though; the repetition doesn't bother me, but maybe that's just me xD. I like the feeling that this gives, kind of like a "Turbo man driving through Chrome Gadget Zone at night" feel. Good job.

Zerothemaster: Nice arrangement, but it could use some more energy.

therex: Nice dynamics, and instrument choices. Both sources were used well in your track. I like the Brass, and you have a nice ending as well! Your song fits the title of your track very well.

Mindwanderer: Nice Orchestration, and in 6/4 time (or 3/4 time). Nice arrangement, you could add a little more energy to you track, but it's definitely an improvement.

Cash and Change: Very funky, niiiice 8-). I really like the arrangement and how the sources flow with each other. Great job!

Myself: I had 1 to 2 days to work on it, which explains its shortness.

I would like an opinion on how the opening cello sounded in terms of quality, because I may use it again.

The ending is louder than I intended it to be. I wanted to be just a little bit quieter, yet still have it pack a punch.

Any other advice or criticism is welcome :D!

Edit:....I like Polterpup X).

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

Thanks for the comments / reviews!

@therex

A question: would a part of the problem of the 'neverending intro' be that I had too much going on in the breakdown / middle part (starting at ~1:41) of the song? I was afraid of not having enough there, but I'm guessing I went overboard.

@Cosmic Sounds

Glad you liked it! I'm also pleased that the song invoked that soundscape - just what I was going for! :smile:

I'm deeply honored that you think this would go in Mario Kart 7 - love that soundtrack. :-)

That does give me an idea (for when I revisit this song)!

So... how's everyone doing with their entries for Round 3?

Hi, newcomer here.

Have been listening to all round 1 and round 2 songs, was able to vote for round 2.

To be honest round 1 songs are better than round 2.

I specificaly enjoyed Soul Aquas by Cosmic Sound

Also Checkmate by Turbez Mcgee was just so full on energy, really cool song.

Also Great song by jnWake

I really didnt enjoy round 2 songs as much as I did with round 1.

Also I am not such a big Megaman or Sonic Fan

I played a lot of Megaman X not the original Megaman and from Sonic I know only a few songs, like Green Hill Zone XD.

Overall Keep the good work!!

Will keep listening

Let's just say I'm glad I have no opponent. Definitely not going as well as I'd like; I chose an ambitious genre that I'm not that familiar with. I'm pretty sure one of Darkesword's Loopy mixes would beat me this week.

@therex

A question: would a part of the problem of the 'neverending intro' be that I had too much going on in the breakdown / middle part (starting at ~1:41) of the song? I was afraid of not having enough there, but I'm guessing I went overboard.

The breakdown was fine, I think the problem is that there was some fast melodic stuff in the background that wasn't coming out as well as I would've liked.

I'm super pumped with my track so far. About a minute in, and things are groovy. 8)

I specificaly enjoyed Soul Aquas by Cosmic Sound

Glad that you liked it, because I definitely plan on revising it later! :)

I've been informed that jefepatronjoshi is dropping out as he is unable to mix. Anyone up for joining the Blue Bombers?

Noooo, just as I'm determined to make this entry one of my best songs for this compo. Someone, please fill in for him :).

Can't whoever signs up just start the next round and ignore this one?

No :). I want to work for my votes, and not win by default.

Edited by Cosmic Sounds
Typo correction