Mega Man & Sonic the Hedgehog - Blue Bomber Blue Blur Collision Competition

DarkeSword

Round 4 Review

NovaRepear vs Cash and Change

NovaRepear:

Again, I liked the intro, but then it went crazy. Also your sounds are werid, and you had a metronome there the whole way? What seemed to be a trumpet like sound, sounded nothing like a trumpet, also sounded off tuned.

Dont know if its your sound card or software, but the drums where really awful, sounded like a stick hitting the wall.

Sorry to say, but didnt like it. Keep it up though.

Cash and Change:

I like it, I think it is was well made, but to slow for me.

For some reason I love the sonic tune.

My vote is for: Cash and Change:

jnWake vs Cosmic Sounds

jnWake:

Awsome song, great transisions. It has Powerful areas and other soft areas great tempo. Last week song was better thought imo.

Cosmic Sounds:

It sounds great, but feels incomplete, at end you feel there should be more to it.

It was dificult but my vote goes to jnWake

Tuberz:

OMG THIS IS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUKING GREAT SONG MAN!!!! THIS IS GOING TO MY CAR PLAYLIST!!!!!!!!!!

Wow men this is a terrific job. Keep it up dude.

Only suggestion is on the solo part a little more variation would had been greater.

Mr.L

I like it, its good, well made. But needs more variations.

MindWanderer:

Dont like it, the pipe organ solo overextends to much, and get you tired.

TOP Compositors

Round 3........................ Round 4

1) jnWake .................. 1)Tuberz

2) Tuberz ..................... 2)jnWake

3) MindWanderer........... 3)Mr.L

4)Cosmic Sounds......... 4)Cosmic Sounds

5)therex .......................5)Cash and Change

6)Mr.L ........................6)MindWanderer

7)Cash and Change..... 7)Nova Reaper

8-)Nova Reaper

9)Xarnax42

Edited by acarmelo1

• Difficulty Spikes: I'll try to keep this to a few constructive criticisms. First, seriously, use better samples! Darkesword's list of soundfonts is an excellent place to start. Load them into a VST soundfont player, such as shortcircuit (my choice). Otherwise, use a decent synth VST. These can be extremely intimidating, but you can start off by using the presets, and branch out into more creative settings as you learn about sound synthesis. I've just started to use these myself, so I don't have any favorites, but TAL-NoiseMaker is popular, reasonably friendly, and has great presets. Second, measures are your friend! Stick your sounds to the beat. This can take some practice if you're doing it by ear, but is a lot easier if you start with a MIDI you find online.
  • The Bursting of Marble Man: Strange instrumentation and pacing. Takes until almost a minute in before a source becomes obvious, and when it does, it's almost a straight copy of the original, not interpreted at all, for another full minute. Burst Man is somewhat more creative, but not a whole lot. I know you said you put more effort into integrating the two sources, but I'm still hearing mainly Marble Zone followed by Burst Man and that's it.
  • H2Oil: An interesting attempt to carry the same feeling as Aquatic Base. Good use of Turbo Man, reasonably good use of Aquatic Base given how tricky the source is to use. Nothing earth-shattering.
  • Velocity X - Race Chaos Turbo: Still having a tough time with source. I think it's just an extremely liberal interpretation. Strings sound a little hollow and fake this time. Could do without the "returns" at 1:26 and 1:34. Good exciting epic energy at the beginning, though.
  • Don't Drop the Soap: Very cool concept. Needs some production tweaking--not a big fan of the crackling noise that accompanies the rap sections, and some parts are a little muddy. There are some off-key moments, too, especially in the 1:27 Neptune section. Many vocal pieces do so at the expense of source usage, and you did so a little, but both are still easily recognizable. End loops maybe one too many times. Overall great arrangement, good performance, good lyrics. I'd love to see this one cleaned up and submitted.
  • Into the Future: More typical Mr. L. Good source usage, but I have to admit I'm feeling some fatigue at hearing the exact same style and instrumentation from you every time, and I'm not a fan of this style to begin with.
  • Don't Drink the Water: I finally figured out compression, yay! Some moments could stand to be rebalanced, and there are some points that could be spiced up a bit more. Transition at 1:50 is a bit awkward, and yeah, the organ solo after that does drag on a bit. If I revise this I'll definitely do something different there, maybe use a different source altogether. I still have mixed feelings about when the whole thing increases tempo and becomes silly in the last third, I'll see what others have to say about that.

Mr.L

I like it, its good, well made. But needs more variations.

Thanks for the comments, acarmelo1! :D

Not that great with variations yet, but I'm working on it - one mix at a time. :)

Into the Future: More typical Mr. L. Good source usage, but I have to admit I'm feeling some fatigue at hearing the exact same style and instrumentation from you every time, and I'm not a fan of this style to begin with.

I beg your forgiveness, but you've lost me here.

For my style:

I approach each song based on a particular 'state' or I try to create an 'area' with a soundscape - it's the provenance of my ideas. That's why I gravitate towards ambience with all of my tracks; however, I'm trying to not use so much background ambience (pads) and instead let the 'leads' or melodies do that instead! :)

I'm sorry you're not a fan of my style, though...

(... These two artists represent the main genre 'area' I'm trying to work toward; if you were just curious).

As for this song, it was based off some unimplemented ideas from Chrome; however, Chrome was meant to be more dream-like, while Into The Future is simply meant to be upbeat and uplifting.

Finally, I took all the feedback everyone graciously gave me and tried to fix my mistakes made back then in Chrome; but that's where the similarities end - these two are completely different sub-genres.

As for instrumentation - none of the synths, save for one pad ('Warm') and one synth (Short PWM 2), used in 'Into The Future' were used previously. So I would venture to inquire as to which instruments you are hearing repeatedly in each and every song?

I'm not trying to attack your comments here: I would just like to know so I can give them a break for a period of time! :D

I use a lot of synths since I don't have any real instruments; I do have a few 'romplers' (real instrument samplers / VSTis), but I've been a bit hesitant to use some of them for awhile.

However, this next entry will try another, to this point, unused VSTi, so at least instrumentation will be different! :D

If you wish to see, here's a list of instruments used in each song (from memory):

Chrome / An attempt at Dream Trance

• PianoOne (VSTi, lead)
  • Mist (Synth1, used for an arpeggio)
  • Dark Wind (Synth1, pad and transitions)
  • Jupiter (Synth1, pad)
  • Autumn Strings (Synth1, pad)
  • HS Atlantic Swell (Zebralette, pad)
  • Clav (Sytrus, accent for lead)
  • Glassy (Synth1, pad and accent for lead)
  • Jazz Dub (Synth1, bass)

Cruisin' on Skywave Road / Another attempt at Atmospheric Drum and Bass (the first attempt was 2 years ago)

• PianoOne (VSTi)
  • Dark Wind (Synth1, pad, used for transitions)
  • Electricity (Synth1, pad, effects in background and ambience)
  • Jazz Dub (Synth 1, bass)
  • Glock (LazySnake VSTi, used during the breakdown)
  • Rhodes low (DSK RhodeZ, used during the breakdown)
  • Warm Pad (Synth1, pad)
  • Square Purity (Sytrus, there are two synths with this name, and I used them both)
  • Short PWM (Sytrus, used for the background arpeggio later in the song)
  • Short PWM 2 (Sytrus)

Submerged / Ambient

• (Final usage of) PianoOne (VSTi, co-lead)
  • Mist (Synth1, lead synth)
  • Xylophone (Synth1, plays the arpeggio from Neptune's theme)
  • Nexus tears (DSK Ethereal PadZ, pad, primary pad)
  • Warm (Sytrus, pad)
  • Dark Heaven 2 (Sytrus, pad)
  • Distant (Sytrus, pad)
  • Jazz Dub (Synth1, bass)
  • Modern Setting (Synth1, accent synth during breakdown)

Into The Future / Just something upbeat

• We Feel Digital (TAL NoiseMaker, lead synth)
  • Everglade Walk (TAL NoiseMaker, that funny sounding synth playing Quick Man's arpeggio shortly after the song begins)
  • Short PWM 2 (heard this one before, of course, it's used to play parts of Quick Man's and Chrome Gadget Zone's themes)
  • Soft Sub (Synth1, bass)
  • Oxygene Arp (Synth1, arpeggio, another computer-sounding arpeggio, near the beginning and during the breakdown in the background)
  • Warm (Sytrus, pad)
  • GX (Synth1, pad)
  • Cosmos (Synth1, pad, the gated pad)
  • Space Keys MW (used during the beginning, the breakdown, and at the end)

[Entry this week]

• The only thing from above that returns is a warm pad because it fits the soundscape of the song.
  • I'm using a VSTi that I haven't used until now.

So, yes, you've got me on 'Jazz Dub' (the bass) and the warm pads... but...

I'm sorry, but as I previously mentioned, you've totally lost me, and I'm just confused as to what you're hearing that sounds 'exactly the same'. :(

If I've misunderstood you, then I offer my apologies.

With that said, I'm grateful for your comments for each round, so, thank you; I really appreciate them! :)

Edited by Mr. L
Forgot to list one key instrument... and a pad! :O

The Bursting of Marble Man: Strange instrumentation and pacing. Takes until almost a minute in before a source becomes obvious, and when it does, it's almost a straight copy of the original, not interpreted at all, for another full minute. Burst Man is somewhat more creative, but not a whole lot. I know you said you put more effort into integrating the two sources, but I'm still hearing mainly Marble Zone followed by Burst Man and that's it.

Well, I did in put more effort, but it didn't really work out how I wanted. I never said my efforts would pay off. ;-) I agree that my instrumentation was strange, and the first section lasted too long.

@Mr. L: I really want to reply in detail as to the aspects of each piece that I find to be extremely similar, but to do that I'll have to listen to each piece several times, and I don't have time for that right now, especially if I'm going to challenge you in any kind of respectable way this week. I promise I'll give it my full attention some time after next Sunday.

I have to say, jnWake; You have to revisit this song and sub it. This is the best interpretation of Aquatic Base that I've during this compo :-D.

@Mindwanderer: I hear the hollowness, I'm just not sure what I did differently this time....I think I may have spent too much time on the Percussion, since using it in a DAW is relatively new to me.

@Mr. L: I like your ambient tracks :). Reminds me of New Age, and several other genres that I like.

I have to say, jnWake; You have to revisit this song and sub it. This is the best interpretation of Aquatic Base that I've during this compo :-D.

Glad you liked it! I actually want to polish the 4 tracks I did for this competition (been posting them on the WIP forums) and also remix some more MM7 tracks (great OST) and do a mini album thingy... Probably going to do that later this year!

I don't think I'll be turning anything in for round 5. I have started anything yet, and it's already Thursday. I just haven't had any inspiration all week, plus jnWake won't be turning anything in either.

But I'll see what I can do this weekend.

I don't think I'll be turning anything in for round 5. I have started anything yet, and it's already Thursday. I just haven't had any inspiration all week, plus jnWake won't be turning anything in either.

But I'll see what I can do this weekend.

To be honest, I'm probably doing the same thing. Theory of N looks like he isn't participating anymore, and I'd rather skip this round and make a great song for the last.

I do have to say, participation in this competition has been a disappointment. I don't think we've had a single week where all 12 contestants have submitted tracks.

If I remember correctly, the GMRB last year also had participation issues.

With this competition, putting out a remix every week burns me out musically. Maybe it's just because I'm still a newb. Not sure if anyone else feels the same.

I do have to say, participation in this competition has been a disappointment. I don't think we've had a single week where all 12 contestants have submitted tracks.

Oh well, just one more round and then we can start putting things together for the new WCRG.

Yeah, participation has been pretty bad. It seems the 6 week straight schedule is hard for most people (which is understandable I think).

Yeah, 6 mixes in 6 weeks is pretty rough. I'm seriously tempted to drop work on Chrome Gadget, since I don't like how it's going and it wasn't a very good idea to begin with, and start on Prison Lane since I know it's going to have to be done next week anyway and I actually have a plan for it. I'm definitely looking forward to a week or two mixing-free, and a 1 mix/3 weeks schedule for WCRG.

Also, I don't believe any previous compo here with 12 or more participants in a week have had 100% participation at any time. Although I don't think we've exceeded 75% here, 7-9 mixes every week from the same 12 people, 6 weeks running, is actually pretty good IMO.

Started mine just now. You better deliver :P

Hellz yes. You ALL better deliver!!

EDIT: Seriously, though, participation is a big deal. If participation is bad enough (not just in this competition, but in any competition), Darke may not be motivated to administer them in the future, which would really, really suck.

Edited by orlouge82

Hellz yes. You ALL better deliver!!

EDIT: Seriously, though, participation is a big deal. If participation is bad enough (not just in this competition, but in any competition), Darke may not be motivated to administer them in the future, which would really, really suck.

I probably will not do another B4C2 in the future.

I probably will not do another B4C2 in the future.
Can't blame you for not wanting a repeat of this outcome, but there are other formats you could use for a crossover tournament that wouldn't be quite so demanding. You'd just have to get a little creative.

Also, we need a full-scale Robot Master vs. Maverick compo some time in the future. Just sayin'.

And while I'm on the subject of compo suggestions, next time there's a void in the schedule, think about this: Final Fantasy compo, character themes vs. battle themes, Wily Gauntlet format. If RMWtS isn't running at the time, I could even organize this myself. I personally love the collaborative and relaxed schedule of the gauntlet format and would like to see it happen more often.

Couldn't you change the format, instead of scraping the idea? I think everyone enjoyed this competition. Maybe a break week in the middle would help?

I think that this compo came at a really bad spot, being that people usually take vacations/rest from school around this time.

Maybe having a break every two weeks would be good?