How do you write drum patterns?

Hey all... if you're working with one-shot drum samples, how do you write your patterns? Do you typically write drums all in one pattern, like "drums 1" "drums 2" etc., or do you make separate patterns for kicks, hats, snares and then mix/match? Of course, working with a plugin like Studio Drummer, you would do the drums all in the same pattern. But for one-shots... which method do you prefer, and why?

I write my patterns in one track because writing good kit drum patterns means understanding and keeping track of the virtual performer's limbs. If I can avoid doing the impossible or even keeping my virtual performer from playing something excessively difficult, then my patterns will stay true to form and sound like a drummer.

Separating them is easier on the programming side, but it's harder to keep track of what is playing at any given time making it too easy to suddenly have a 5, 6, or 7 handed drummer, which is just silly.

Pretty much with all my drums, I make a pattern in FL Studio (usually 8 - 16 beats), copy, paste, and make each pattern unique as I see fit. No reason to separate or mix and match unless it's a layered sound on top of the drum set (like an extra hat or snare or something), just so I can keep patterns from looking too complicated. I'd love to get a drumset to just play a midi drums all the way through. That'd be fun and much easier.

I don't see any problem for what you said Dan unless you're going for a straight up live sound. It's pretty common in studio mixes to layer drums, though, especially if you don't intend to play it for audiences.

However if you're doing something that would require a 7 handed drummer, that IS pretty insane. Lol.

If I'm writing for overdubs, then that's a conscious decision--I program my parts with the performer in mind so that I can make sure what I'm doing at all times is true to a performance.

You want to write realistic parts, program realistic performances?

Be conscious about the performer--even when they're not real, your job is to make them real.

I write a drum pattern for a part, and usually two or three variations on it, to make it seem more humanized, so, say I have 6 patterns for pars of the song, I end up having like 20. I usually try to syncopate with the rhythm or the bass, and I make sure to only allow three instruments per hit; one on kick, two for the sticks. No more than that, because that isn't real sounding. I've recently started using AddictiveDrums and having it all in one instrument-type rocks.

To clarify, the way I record drum tracks is in multiple parts, all to one track.Here you see the drums in one MIDI track, which is the track I record all the sequences into:

cb_drum_seq_t1.jpg

And here you see the (zoomed out)piano roll that has all drum map:

cb_drum_seq_t2.jpg

Each diamond is a hit (naturally), and I make sure to play my drums (via keyboard) to the limits of a real drummer (two hands and two feet). No double bass pedal action while the hihat pedal is going, only two hand hits at a time etc etc.

I don't record all that in one run though. Take this sequence for example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32558357/97_drum_seq_t_FULL.mp3

The first thing I usually record would be the kick, snare and hihat like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32558357/97_drum_seq_t_take1.mp3

And then I go back and record (or mouse in) the more intricate stuff like tom rolls and all the cymbals:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32558357/97_drum_seq_t_take2.mp3

Regardless how and in what order I get the notes in there, they have to be in one single track. With newer libraries like BFD and Superior Drummer you can load additional instruments in the samplers and have all your percussions (woodblocks, taikos etc etc) in the same plugin, so my drum tracks for some songs contain over 30 different drums. This is where drum maps become crucial to help you manage all the hits and know what's going on when you go into the piano roll for detailed editing.

I go one of two ways.

1) For more orchestral pieces I use Kontakt for drums and use the maschine controller to tap in beats in Sonar. Frequently not in loop mode, and I go through in piano roll to fix them up a bit after the fact.

2) For more song structure pieces, I do loop recording in Maschine and use the maschine controller to tap out the beats.

Using pads lets me get a more human feel than just clicking in the beats I want. I still clean them up a bit after the fact, but velocity just seems more real when I tap them in.

Occasionally for more simple beats, I get my 7 year old to play them in using the drum kit (Simmons SD7) to input midi, mapped to the drums I want instead of the head on the kit. He is pretty good for a 7 year old, and honestly the variation from him is even better than my tapping pads