EA Acquires Star Wars Video Game License

Hyperion5182

they were also pretty bad

edit: no wait shadows of the damned was good I was thinking of something else

dante's inferno was terrible though

The only remotely decent thing DI had going for it was visual level design. Whatever artists decided to go whole hog for the whole "Hell" thing really nailed it.

Everything else, including what was 'borrowed' from God of War (No seriously, it was absolutely shameless in the fact that it was a GoW clone.) was just absolutely terrible and isn't so much as "taking a risk" as "Making a carbon copy game and hoping aggressive marketing takes off."

Like I said, I'm not particularly interested in your opinion about Dante's Inferno -- and the thread is about Star Wars anyway.

EA needs to publish more games like Dante's Inferno. If the new Star Wars games are as refined as that, they should be fantastic.

for a guy who's quick to tell others that he's not interested in their opinions you sure are flashing a lot of shitty opinions here

Uhhh, Dante's Inferno was pretty much the shittiest God of War clone it could be. It was God of War except without any of the fun parts, and a huge floppy dick swinging around during the final battle. Had the dick repeatedly slapped you in the face, it would have been even better, because that is about the quality and maturity the game was - a big, fully rendered and textured blue dick smacking you in the face.

To say nothing of the astoundingly awful marketing for Dante's Inferno. I tried to find numbers on the sales of the game and on marketing costs, and the most I can find is an extreme drop in aggressive marketing by EA after the whole circus of Dante's Inferno, which thankfully suggests the whole thing backfired.

EA's track record right now could generously be described as "putrid." The Sim City launch and their subsequent response, The Old Republic and its rather...bumbled launch, and a shift to free to play so awkward and forced it blew out the clutch, a general attitude of contempt and disdain towards people who voice complaints - did you see their response to that whole worst company fiasco? They blamed homophobia for it.

As far as Star Wars goes, EA is probably the one company that could make a game that's more of a waste of money and time than Force Unleashed. I can't wait for a game that's nothing but fucking Hoth land battles with paid DLC and map packs.

I was going to say something but you about nailed it.

Dante's Inferno....innovation and storytelling should be admired...

Did you actually pay attention to that game? Awful storytelling, a deplorable interpretation of one of the greatest pieces of literature in the Western world. And what innovation? As you yourself said, it's not a God of War clone because every action game ever could be called that. So how is Dante's Inferno any different?

The only good thing about it was the visual interpretations of the circles of Hell. Almost all the good visuals I've seen of Dante's Hell are from centuries ago. It was cool to see a modern envisioning of them.

Like I said, I'm not particularly interested in your opinion about Dante's Inferno -- and the thread is about Star Wars anyway.

EA needs to publish more games like Dante's Inferno. If the new Star Wars games are as refined as that, they should be fantastic.

A Star Wars game done in the style of Dante's Inferno would be a 'retelling' of the original trilogy. Luke runs around using his triple-bladed lightsaber and fire-breathing magic powers to body-slam stormtroopers into the ground, before crushing their heads with the hilt of his lightsaber while screaming TURN TO THE LIGHT SIDE OF THE FORCE, culmunating in a boss fight against Darth Vader on a golden chariot shaped like Vader's head with Ackbar as the driver while running across Mecha-Palpatine's body, which is now the death star itself.

A Star Wars game done in the style of Dante's Inferno would be a 'retelling' of the original trilogy. Luke runs around using his triple-bladed lightsaber and fire-breathing magic powers to body-slam stormtroopers into the ground, before crushing their heads with the hilt of his lightsaber while screaming TURN TO THE LIGHT SIDE OF THE FORCE, culmunating in a boss fight against Darth Vader on a golden chariot shaped like Vader's head with Ackbar as the driver while running across Mecha-Palpatine's body, which is now the death star itself.

Actually, I'd really like to see this made. That final boss battle would go down in history.

That would be godam glorious.

• 1 month later...
It's funny to watch half the internet change face so quickly. They want from completely freaking out about how even EA is over SimCity and Mass Effect, to saying "All if forgiven if you can give us Battlefront 3".

It's a very clever plan on EA's part, indeed. First: We release a game riddled with DRM and ad-supported content. Refuse to give it an offline mode. Who cares about the server stability? All the nerds on the internet will FREAK OUT!

THEN we'll release a Star Wars game that they've been salivating over. Give them LAN play. Offline mode. We may even release it on Steam!

THEN we'll release MORE DRM-riddled, ad-supported games while they're distracted with Star Wars! By the time they figure it out, we'll have locked them into Battlefront's III-VIII.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/06/10/e3-2013-battlefront-3/

Everyone likes to harp on EA because it's what the cool kids do, but their published games actually usually rank from decent to very good (with exceptions such as the last medal of honor and others). Yes, they publish the same sports games over and over again each year with minor differences between them but someone has to do it. There are sports videogames fans out there (quite a lot of them in fact) and you can't really do much when you're developing a baseball simulator. It's friken baseball, it hasn't changed in a century.

I don't see this as a bad thing at all.