This woman has TONS of gear!

Malcos

i've got some equipment that i'd like to put in her studio.. if you know what i mean!

yeah, she could use a modular synth, don't you think?

yoozer or someone posted a link to her studio somewhere here before, ah well, it's still a winner.

cheers.

believe it was posted in your picture thread. whatever the case, i know i've seen it before.

i'd like to show her my softsynth...

nope, killed it.

Why is everyone so amazed? Having that much stuff is cluttered. It's a bad enviornment for creating music. That's a horrible workflow. Think of the money required to buy all that stuff. She could have spent that money on things to improve her workflow. Now, I bet you anything that richer musicians have much less stuff than her, and those musicians are superior.

EDIT: OHHH, she's a collector. Well, my statement stands in a hypothetical case if she got all that equipment specifically for music.

Why is everyone so amazed?

Because stuff like this costs money.

Having that much stuff is cluttered.

In your opinion of course.

It's a bad enviornment for creating music.

In your opinion of course.

Anyway, Cikira's a really nice woman, and pretty much every forum her studio pops up at gets combined waves of "wtf" and envy.

Since when can you predict workflow, creativity, or talent, just by seeing a single photograph?

I'm not "that" amazed (which doesn't mean I'm not). Sorry.

Sure it costs money (money I don't have, so that's where I'm envied). Sure this is a lot of (impressive) stuff. But... do you really need one extra keyboard for only one sound? Does she really use "everything" in each new production?

It's not the equipment that makes you famous, it's what you make out of it. And to be honest, less is sometimes more.

Why I think that way? To be honest... I met a lot of people recently who were all like "OMG I GOT THIS AND THAT SHIT! <insert listing of equipment over a couple of pages here>" and I was like "what style do you produce" and they were all like either RmB or Pop. And after hearing this I'm simply not interested anymore.

If she's a collector. Fine with me - sure was a lot of money she spent on that stuff (in other words - woha!). But I'd be even more impressed if she's a well known producer/engineer that uses all of her equipment.

She has one benefit over all software (and warez) user however:

- No CPU issues

- wider range at "sounds" on her disposal

So yeah, count me in to those "woha" sayers.

I'm not "that" amazed (which doesn't mean I'm not). Sorry.

Sure it costs money (money I don't have, so that's where I'm envied). Sure this is a lot of (impressive) stuff. But... do you really need one extra keyboard for only one sound? Does she really use "everything" in each new production?

It's not the equipment that makes you famous, it's what you make out of it.

And to be honest, less is sometimes more.

I agree, it's what I was trying to say.

Man, I'd feel so helpless amidst all those machines. I always liked the idea of getting the most out of a small set of tools, and sometimes I'm thinking that I don't even use my only hardware synth to its full potential.

Definitely. Actually, I got some good insight from one book I was reading and it basically said before you start a project you MUST limit your choices in terms of sounds, synths, whatever. You must have a small gathering of resources so that you can spend more time using the tools that you have decided to use than to continuously waste time looking around for stuff among your entire studio.

Man, I'd feel so helpless amidst all those machines. I always liked the idea of getting the most out of a small set of tools, and sometimes I'm thinking that I don't even use my only hardware synth to its full potential.

Definitely. Actually, I got some good insight from one book I was reading and it basically said before you start a project you MUST limit your choices in terms of sounds, synths, whatever. You must have a small gathering of resources so that you can spend more time using the tools that you have decided to use than to continuously waste time looking around for stuff among your entire studio.

Heh, well, people are different. I'm sure there are people who get inspiration out of fiddling around with loads of hardware synths at the same time, I was just saying I'm quite the opposite. Sure, it might be less effective, but I won't tell a gear junkie to limit his resources when he's having fun :)

Nasenmann, if I was to say that I want a keyboard with seven zillion sounds; possibly all the sounds and tones in the world, would that defy your theory?

I really hope not, because to me, that would be the best thing in the world. I have been restricted in terms of the sounds I could use all my life (using my generic keyboards, using midi sounds on computers), and though I'm still able to make it pretty fun, I've ALWAYS felt that it would be much funner if I could experiment with more sounds (since that would mean there'd be more chances of finding more sounds closer to my tastes, and also lead to more unique experiences). I can't see how having access to 10+ different types of keyboards with different types of sounds/effects instead of just 1 or 2 to be a bad thing. It would lead to more pleasant options to choose from.

But this is coming from a guy who thinks Sawtooth Lead (081) is the coolest midi sound.

I can't see how having access to 10+ different types of keyboards with different types of sounds/effects instead of just 1 or 2 to be a bad thing.

I don't think it's a bad thing either, it's just that each of the synths in that woman's monster studio is already a very versatile beast by itself. Can't really compare it to your first set of GM sounds :P.

There's a point where you have at least theoretical access to almost any sound you'd ever want, and you don't need every synthesizer/sampler/fx there is to reach that point.

Apart from that, it's probably a quirk of mine that unless I don't learn to use something well, I shouldn't own it.

I remember downloading all possible and impossible kinds of free softsynths one night, always thinking 'w0oah, these'll unveil new muzikal horizons to me!'

Well, I tried them out a little, played around with some presets, and very soon got this feeling of being totally overfed. Some of them were really great, but the sheer amount of them was tiring. It might've been more fun for me to just download one really cool looking synth and fiddle around with that one for the rest of the night.

It's like with friends, hard to have a lot of them and have only deep relationships at the same time.

With this corny analogy I rest my case :)

Just fyi

The less restricted you are in the creative process [e.g writing songs], the harder it is to come up with any good ideas.

yes definitely. Like I said earlier, before you start a big project, you must limit your selection so that your creativity will come more quickly. Limiting your choices also helps to make the sound more distinct, blend well together.