OCR01457 - Gran Turismo "Stupid Damn Vehicle"

djpretzel

I don't know. I've seen ilp0 provide some neat stuff at VGMix, and in my opinion, I think he has actually grown better since his initial mix (which apparantly is this one). I have to agree with Larry on the instance of the clicks that randomly come through throughout the track (not to mention hiss now that I think of it), and my own take on the situation is that it could have been given a slight push up the front for the drums and - what I think should have been debated from the panel - should have been given a much BETTER ending than the sudden transition to high-pass filter and the pop at the end.

But still, I can't deny that the ideas are all in place and show a nice Latino-esque movement to it that can easily show things nicely for the people. The guitar skills are also very fluent in performance, and it's a common sign that styles like that should be pushed forward into the Dwelling of Duels someday.

This track was featured in my VGMix spotlights on ThaSauce for the week of November 5-11 2005, and to be frank that week was really slow, hence the lack of tracks in there.

ilp0 – Gran Turismo "Stupid Damn Vehicle"

Don’t let neither the user name nor the song title put you off (even though the title gets credit as "funniest of the week" from me); this is actually a very sweet Santana-esque variation on "Moon Over the Castle", as heard in the opening sequences of the Japanese version of Gran Turismo. Starting out with some interesting shifting panning movements before diving into a well shifted around incarnation of the source material (melody intact, backing music being given a moderate overhaul) and a major key vibraphone portion before shifting towards another close rendition of the melody for the ending, the user can easily adapt well to the user’s creative instincts that were layered out right in front of them. The tech work, while not the sharpest in the shed due to some light clips and a fair amount of backing noise, has been given some strong foundations in terms of sound warmth that would transition well to the ease of the listener. Some may not quite understand the rhythms much, but that didn’t really bother me; what I see as the biggest qualm even for my own personal tastes is the sudden ending sequence. I can feel that even after listening to this the audience will more than likely want to hear more, but whichever is the case I hope that ilp0 comes forth with some more material in the future. I see some damn good potential.

Personally, if it was me voting on it I would have said no, but it's still alright. If that can pass, I'd expect ilp0 to keep pushing the pace with his future subs. I've grown quite fond of his new FF7/Wolfenstein 3D mix myself :)

Still, welcome to OCR and enjoy your stay.

Could it be? A Gran Turismo mix that beats Toyota Disco? I'd have to say, it's pretty close. Excellent tango element that really brings the mix together, I'm loving that. A nice fusion of genres, too. As soon as VGMix is back up, I'll be grabbing the rest of your stuff, ilp0. The jury's still out on whether this is better than Toyota Dicko, though.. :wink:

JJT saw a different influence:

"I dig. Creative, inventive transferring of the theme to a new setting. It sounds like you're one of those guys who follows Phish around the country in a van; the kind of guy who would trade a kidney for a chance to jam with Trey Anastasio."

Kidney, or perhaps his... Golgi Apparatus? Who can say...

LOLWNDFAWTF! >< :lol:

Eh... heh... huff... hrm, yeah, I'd... like to see someone trade his golgi apparatus for something... hah, what a deal :)

I must admit I was fairly sceptical of this mix at first but the more I listen to it the more I like it. It is certainly a great change to hear a tango version of the guitar-heavy GT4 intro. As said above, fantastic mix of genre!

It is also nice to finally see a GT mix on this site!

This mix is a prime example of something I think we sometimes lose track of. This song has its fair share of problems (weird mastering, pops, hissing) but it still passed submission standards. Why? Because it's fun and it's catchy. A song doesn't need to be overly produced or a drastically different approach from the norm; as long as it is aurally pleasing, the people will enjoy it.

That being said, I'm definitely going to check out more from this ilp0 character whenever VGMix is up and running again. Unless anybody knows of another site I can find his stuff?

That being said' date=' I'm definitely going to check out more from this ilp0 character whenever VGMix is up and running again. Unless anybody knows of another site I can find his stuff?[/quote']

He's got two other remixes on his website. Check 'em out. I hadn't visited VGMix in a while before it went down, so I'm not sure if these are the same posted there or if there are more.

And I'm going to take this opportunity to reaffirm my love for this track. Seriously, there is nothing I dislike about it. If I might say, this is a 10/10. So. Damn. Catchy.

• 2 months later...

I love the original, and you've put an unexpected twist on it that I also love. The mastering isn't absolutely top-notch, but who says it has to be? Great stuff here.

Note for djp: Actually, this song didn't appear in any of the US or EU versions of the GT series until Gran Turismo 4. Both the American and European releases of all games in the series have used licensed mainstream tunes. The Japanese versions have music composed specifically for them, however, which is where the source for this remix comes from. Just thought I'd clear that up.

• 2 weeks later...

This is remix is good, if not great. It isnt an instant favourite of mine, but it is one I like to listen to every now and then. Funny thing is whenever I do I always picture Jeremy Clarkson having a psycho-fit with some Ferrari Enzo or the likes.

Very funny, very nice. A dichotomy to all GT games in existance =3

• 9 months later...

I decided to inspect whether or not you have any more remixes on the site after loving "Lake in Ontario" so much, and I'm incredibly happy to find that you do! And they don't suck, either! Quite the opposite, really... this one's got that same old-school progressive album-rock-junkie sound, which I absolutely LOVE, and the injection of latin textures just makes the whole thing even more fun.

• 6 months later...

This is a great track that I keep on coming back to. Everybody's talking about tango rhythms and a tango sound, though I really can't hear much of either, just an old-school rock sound with some unusual instrumentation and rythmic motifs. The arrangement goes a lot of places while retaining an original sound, and I think the inclusion of the pitched percussion is an important component in this. I like ilp0's newer arrangements too (the production in partcular is much better), but having been listening to this for over a year now I don't think it's been topped.

• 1 year later...

Stylin'

There are a few issues with this one, especially the ending, but it's exceptionally charming, and the vision for it sounds very precise. I think that it being recorded so dry sounding really makes it feel like it has everything meticulously planned. Changes are super tight, and that Steely Dan rock tango sound is totally present.

A great introduction to ilp0, and his other stuff is great too, check it out!

• 5 months later...

Gotta love tango infusion.

This one was totally out of left field for me. I always new Gran Turismo's soundtracks by the licensed fodder that they crammed into the Western releases of the game. I had no idea that the Japanese were getting these ubercool compositions.

I like that this mix sounds wholly different to pretty much every other mix. It's not self-consicious in it's production, but never sounds particularly grubby or awful. It's got its own thing happening, contained in its own universe. That's something I admire.

I've never been a massive fan of Latin style music, but when it's teamed up with a strong theme, rock elements and a talented musician, you don't have to persuade me to convert over temporarily.

Despite the production issues, which I respect in a way, and a bit distracting reverb, this is a brilliantly upbeat surprise that has opened my eyes to what the West has been missing out on. Ah well, at least we have ilp0.

• 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01457 - Gran Turismo "Stupid Damn Vehicle"