OCR00385 - Silent Hill "White Claudia"

Saunders

Silent Hill 'White Claudia'

Mr. Praslowicz has given us a mix that starts off creepy, but quickly goes into a hard guitar thrashing tune. There’s a lot of little stuff going on under the massive guitar sound here, like the sort of “tinkly” sound heard in the creepy intro can be heard again at ~1:05. There’s some heavy crash cymbals and stuff that goes on in this mix, making it sound sort of chaotic, but at the same time, it’s really not. Certainly not one of my favourites, maybe it can be yours. 3/5

• 3 weeks later...

Notes from author: Without a doubt, the most heavily critizied piece of work I've ever done. The thing I hear the most is along the lines of "It doesn't have the same atmosphere as the orginal track." In defence to this common complaint, I just have to say that these people are correct, It doesn't, but that is the point. When I first started dabbling with this song I started to record it just like the original track. It didn't take long for me to realize that it sounded like nothing new or creative. With old unmatsered songs put out by systems like the NES, the songs can be recorded essentially the same as the original with beefed up instrumentation and sound really good just like that. However, with moderm game music that allready comes mastered, this doesn't work so well. All this track was sounding like was the orignial Silent Hill Theme, only recorded by somebody else. This left me with one option, a shift in genres, which is what I did.

I know i've given Praz a lot of stife over this mix... it's not that I don't

like it, because it's really a great arrangement and shift in style, as he's

stated... My problem is that it just feels like it's falling ever so short

of the beauty of the original, and that pisses me off violently because it's

so damn good, but there is that one undescribable something that

keeps it from being jaw dropping. It makes me fustrated to even think

about it, i love the original so much, and this is such a great arrangment,

but i'm repeating myself now and starting to get fustrated, so I'll stop.

• 4 months later...
I know i've given Praz a lot of stife over this mix... it's not that I don't

like it, because it's really a great arrangement and shift in style, as he's

stated... My problem is that it just feels like it's falling ever so short

of the beauty of the original, and that pisses me off violently because it's

so damn good, but there is that one undescribable something that

keeps it from being jaw dropping. It makes me fustrated to even think

about it, i love the original so much, and this is such a great arrangment,

but i'm repeating myself now and starting to get fustrated, so I'll stop.

I agree the original has to be one of my favorite pieces of music ever. That said, this remix is a nice song if you aren't solely thinking about Silent Hill at the beginning. It's definitely going on my cd of "heavy" remixes.

The guitar takes it into a whole different direction from the original...until suddenly I can definitely hear the wonderful arpeggiating rhythm/melody which defined the mood to the original. At that moment I do not hear the remix anymore, I hear the original.

Whenever I hear this song, I cry.

Whistling to the tune doesn't help either.

Aug. I reviewed this one before we had to revert back to Tuesday, so I guess I should do it again.

I dunno about anybody else, but I really like this style of remix. But then again, I haven't heard the original before (though I have played Silent Hill). The remix is a bit short and loud, but overall I'm liking it. If I had to grade it, I'd give it about an 84/100. Not awesomely spectactular, but still something that's on my playlists.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know the source, so I can't talk about genre switching, but I agree with OA. The guitar is overly loud and overall most everything is muddy, which detracts overall from the track. If things were cleaner and more balanced, I would have found this more enjoyable. That and a mandolin breakdown would have been pretty cool.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting intro. A little deceptive for the rest of the track and I do enjoy it when people can do that to their listeners. Like your first track, this one has the crunchy, edgy, garage band sound to it. The rhythm/power chord guitar is a little overwhelming and takes up most of the frequency space. A very interesting sound on the whole. What the track may lack in production quality, there is certainly something to be said for the edgy sound! Can't wait to hear what's next!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00385 - Silent Hill "White Claudia"