Xbox One

You simply can't believe that playing a sports game, where you control a full team, is the same than playing the real sport where you only control yourself (and limited by your talent :-P).

The experiences of actually playing the sport and playing sports games are not similar at all, that's a very weird thing to say.

I've never understood why people are OK with (or even fully back) "always online." Having to check in once every 24 hours just so I can play the game I legally bought for $60? Having your game stop because your connection crapped out? Finding out you can't play your game because the servers it needs to connect to are down/gone? I see no upside to this for consumers. Only needless hassles.

The games wont stop functioning if your connection craps out. They just stop launching if you don't connect in 24 hours (or maybe the unit itself will refuse to do anything until you connect? not sure) Sucks either way but its not as terrible as "always online" like SimCity 5. That is a whole other level of terribleness

But we are still measuring one evil over another at the end of the day :/

Edited by Crowbar Man

Given the fact that numerous PC games required an internet connection to just be played well (Sim City, Diablo 3, a gaggle of Ubisoft games for a few years) or at all, why shouldn't people groan about the thought of these systems requiring internet?

Seeing as how major internet companies have little interest in providing higher speeds at lower costs, and instead would rather screw you over with unnecessary bundles and that ilk, the U.S. ISN'T ready for this sort of thing.

So just like GameStop, the trade in value of your games will undoubtedly be utter tripe. At least Microsoft learned something from GameStop's trade in shtick.

Funny, Microsoft declares war on Gamestop, and the third party companies hide behind them like an obnoxious smart alike little kid hides behinds his older brother when someone confronts the little bugger.

I see no upside to this for consumers. Only needless hassles.

The last thing on these companies minds are the consumers, their actions are evidence of this.

Just like all DRM schemes, they are solely created to satisfy publishers and stockholders. The customer is never taken into account

Its no secret that publishers hate used games and have wanted MS/Sony to stop them, and they've been coming up with ways to stop them themselves

They've finally got what they want

This is why EA is stopping Online Codes BTW. The PS4/XBO make it unnecessary as used games as we know them now will no longer exist.

Edited by Crowbar Man

This is why EA is stopping Online Codes BTW. The PS4/XBO make it unnecessary as used games as we know them now will no longer exist.

Where are you getting this from? Microsoft said the game can't be installed on two accounts, not that you can't re-sell it. In fact someone from the Official Xbox Magazine explicitly said that reselling is fine, they would just de-auth the original account. Almost all music software works like this and there is a healthy secondhand market for it.

Just like all DRM schemes, they are solely created to satisfy publishers and stockholders. The customer is never taken into account

Again is this really news? Steam does the same thing. I moved my gaming computer upstairs temporarily (no wifi on it) and I couldn't play any of my single player games. Wow, what an outrage.

Its no secret that publishers hate used games and have wanted MS/Sony to stop them, and they've been coming up with ways to stop them themselves

They've finally got what they want

PS4 doesn't block used games.

I was kind of disappointed with the whole conference too. But that's not fair seeing as I'm biased as a Sony fanboy. That being said, I won't be buying a PS4 unless I see Versus XIII or Last Guardian on it.

Edited by Thin Crust

Again is this really news? Steam does the same thing. I moved my gaming computer upstairs temporarily (no wifi on it) and I couldn't play any of my single player games. Wow, what an outrage.

You do realize Steam has an offline mode, right? You can still play single player games without being connected to the internet.

Even so, a bad idea implemented multiple times is still a bad idea.

Edited by Cash

PS4 doesn't block used games.

That we know of. They haven't given us all the details of PS4 yet. I have a feeling they were waiting for MS to state how they are doing it first.

Where are you getting this from? Microsoft said the game can't be installed on two accounts, not that you can't re-sell it. In fact someone from the Official Xbox Magazine explicitly said that reselling is fine, they would just de-auth the original account. Almost all music software works like this and there is a healthy secondhand market for it.

Games come with a one time use code that ties to an account. The disc isn't worth anything. You could sell it I guess but it wont do anything without buying a license. MS has said you can trade/sell the license, but they have not given details on how this works. I'm sure it wont be as convenient as just taking the game to a store and selling and therefore cutting out used games as we know them for your average Joe.

Steam has an offline mode. Any games that support it works, but it is up to the publisher whether it works or not. Most do though. Not quite the same

Edited by Crowbar Man

You do realize Steam has an offline mode, right? You can still play single player games without being connected to the internet.

I'm telling you exactly what happened. I moved my computer, plugged it in, no internet. Steam refused to do anything, including Offline Mode, because there was no connection. I'm not making this up. I literally could not play ANY games on Steam including ones like FTL, nor could I access Offline mode.

Just google "Offline mode doesn't work unless online" or similar, plenty of people have had the same issue.

Games come with a one time use code that ties to an account. The disc isn't worth anything. You could sell it I guess but it wont do anything without buying a license. MS has said you can trade/sell the license, but they have not given details on how this works.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Again how is this any different than Steam, which we are all quite used to...?

I'm telling you exactly what happened. I moved my computer, plugged it in, no internet. Steam refused to do anything, including Offline Mode, because there was no connection. I'm not making this up. I literally could not play ANY games on Steam including ones like FTL, nor could I access Offline mode.

Just google "Offline mode doesn't work unless online" or similar, plenty of people have had the same issue.

I have seen people with this issue before, but I think that an error is not comparable to intended functionality (i.e saying that Steam works this way so what's the big deal isn't valid if Steam isn't actually supposed to work that way)

I have seen people with this issue before, but I think that an error is not comparable to intended functionality (i.e saying that Steam works this way so what's the big deal isn't valid if Steam isn't actually supposed to work that way)

As far as I can tell offline mode is intended to be used only for short periods of time. If you Google this you'll find tons of people having problems with it over longer periods. In short - the intended functionality seems to be that it needs to "check in" every so often. Again, Xbox One's requirement of checking in once per day online is no more onerous. It's extremely unlikely that you will be in a situation where your HOME CONSOLE cannot get an internet connection at all.

Talking about PCs and always-online functionality is very different because you can install games on a laptop, and laptops travel frequently. There are a million situations where you would have a laptop in a place with no internet. Trains, buses, cars, planes, etc. So it's much worse to have that kind of requirement on a PC, whereas with a stationary console that never leaves your house, 94% of Americans could hook it up to broadband easily.

BTW again I have very little interest in this based on the whole Xbox Live subscription thing so I'm just talking about this from an objective standpoint, not as some kinda diehard fan that can't wait to get one.

The games wont stop functioning if your connection craps out. They just stop launching if you don't connect in 24 hours (or maybe the unit itself will refuse to do anything until you connect? not sure) Sucks either way but its not as terrible as "always online" like SimCity 5. That is a whole other level of terribleness

But we are still measuring one evil over another at the end of the day :/

Maybe XBox One won't crap out instantly, but as you said, there are PC games that stop dead in their tracks if the connection dies. Frankly, that it's being done at all, on any level, is complete and utter nonsense. It's just different levels of corn-laden shit being flung at the paying customers by the screaming monkeys that run these companies as they pretend to see, hear and speak no evils.

To be fair i havent had a problem with offline mode for steam, i had my internet cut off for 5 months once and i was still able to play left 4 dead and half life from my PC

If i had that happen if i bought a xbo then nothing would work even though i have bought the games.

You also need a kinect connected to it to play your games aswell as the fact you have to pay for a license if you want to lend the game to your friends.

Microsoft is screwing its customers over at every turn with this console and to be honest with you im disgusted by it.

what happened to the plug in and play, where you just turn on the console, put the game in and you play it?

no updates, no installs, nothing.

That is what i want.

thats why unfortunately i dont care for this generations game consoles.. shame really.

Guys, you're all missing the most important thing we learned from the conference.

X-Box One is huuuuuuuuuge. Really, really huge. Gigantic and monolithic. Like a slab of black stone polished and carved by eldric forces. I wouldn't be surprised if it weighs twenty pounds.

I think the ability to run cool without noise is due to the fact it's made of heat absorbing rock from another dimension.

Why are we going back towards massive bricks for consoles again?

Look at that screen shot of the system next to the controller. If the controller is the same size as the current one, then god damn, that's a big system.

And no one has been able to answer if you can put in on its side like every other system. I like putting stuff on its side. With multiple systems, it's like a wall of technology.

Man, you're absolutely right. This thing looks like the fucking Atari 5200 of the modern era.

Wow, what an outrage.

Actually, it kind of IS an outrage. What if you're in a living arrangement that for whatever reason has you forced to use a wireless connection that is quite a ways from your system and thus is about as reliable as a Michael Pachter prediction?

Regardless of any valid reason, it's still outrageous. I bought a game for full retail or whatever price, and most people outside this forum either don't know or care about the difference between buying a license and buying a product, and I expect the thing to work.

I never got why people like BC in the first place

just play it on your old console...

Not everyone wants their living rooms looking like an electronics store.

I can sympathize however with the argument that it just isn't that cost effective, especially in the case of the original Xbox to the 360 given the lack of stellar titles in general that weren't produced by Bungie or Team Ninja, but what if someone has a bunch of third party titles on their 360, or would like to explore some third party titles from older systems on their brand new shiny Xbox One console?

Also, I can see some ruined Christmas hopes due to mom mistaking the Xbox One for the original Xbox. "Wow! I can get Timmy this Xbox console for just $50 instead of that other one for $400!"

Stranger things have happened.

Edited by Malaki-LEGEND.sys

what happened to the plug in and play, where you just turn on the console, put the game in and you play it?

no updates, no installs, nothing.

That is what i want.

thats why unfortunately i dont care for this generations game consoles.. shame really.

As I said before, what we're being told is that game consoles are for nerds, entertainment systems (aka closed off PCs)are cool things.