Xbox One

It may be true that people don't want to carry their 3DS if they're carrying their phone but as of April Nintendo 3DS North American sales were outpacing Nintendo DS's by a million units (and the iPad didn't even exist back when the DS was 2 years old). So I guess people want to game on their dedicated (Nintendo) handhelds after all. Can't really speak for the PDA.

Sales figures like that are not meaningful without context. Are SOME people buying 3DS? Obviously, but overall, handhelds have lost a ton of market share to smartphones.

http://cdn.gizmocrazed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Chart_USportableGameRevenue_MarketShare_2009-2011-resized-600.png

Not to mention, Nintendo is selling 3DS units at a loss right now and they're overall losing hundreds of millions of dollars... so that's kind of an argument in my favor.

Oh, I know I'm in the minority, but that just makes me all the more upset. (I was reading an article the other day about people using their iPads of all things to hold up in front of their faces and take pictures, and I was like...do you realize what massive idiots you look like right now?) The average user has little to no appreciation for the actual quality of the individual features they're using; they're willing to give up functionality for the sake of convenience. I, on the other hand, am not.

I just don't get this elitist attitude, and honestly you're just kinda ranting at this point. Exactly what functionality am I giving up on my smartphone in exchange for being able to take pictures and play games? What functionality are consoles giving up in exchange for having integrated internet browsers, Skype, Facebook, Netflix, whatever?

I liked your quote from earlier in the thread.

whether or not they interest you is not an objective indicator of their quality

Surprisingly, some people have just as much (or more) fun playing Scramble With Friends or Punch Quest as Fire Emblem and Pokemon. The point of games is to have fun, right? Plus, don't forget all the emulators for Android (or jailbroken iOS).

From what zircon is saying its pretty clear that the gaming console itself is dead.

Welcome to the future where every bit of electrical equipment does all the same stuff.

I take it the market is at such a saturation point that nothing can do just one thing anymore and still sell well.

This just makes me sad for the future...

The writing has been on the wall for years now over consoles (as we define them) going out of fashion. The brand names may carry on, but they're not going to be the products you're looking for. The growth and convergence of media technlogies has reached the point where gamers are a niche audience, but most of the people you see bitching over this stuff on forums are still lacking that perspective.

Zircon: MS had a FAQ up stating it required an online connection but it wasn't always online. It also said you had to activate onetime activation codes on your XBL account. Another MS rep said it had to check in every once in a while "about 24 hours". The FAQ was mysteriously removed, and they are downplaying the time period thing.

They also said they are enabling the trading/selling of the license, but are giving no details at this time.

Sounds like damage control to downplay the bad elements

New tidbit:

No BC on Accessories

Well, I wouldn't of expected the Kinect to work obviously but since the controller is pretty much the same I would of thought you could use the old 360 ones on the XBO. Apparently not :/ Nothing for 360 works on XBO

Oh, I know I'm in the minority, but that just makes me all the more upset. (I was reading an article the other day about people using their iPads of all things to hold up in front of their faces and take pictures, and I was like...do you realize what massive idiots you look like right now?) The average user has little to no appreciation for the actual quality of the individual features they're using; they're willing to give up functionality for the sake of convenience. I, on the other hand, am not.

I just don't get this elitist attitude, and honestly you're just kinda ranting at this point. Exactly what functionality am I giving up on my smartphone in exchange for being able to take pictures and play games? What functionality are consoles giving up in exchange for having integrated internet browsers, Skype, Facebook, Netflix, whatever?

I can see getting a better dedicated camera to have better pictures, and a dedicated handheld/console to play more in depth games... but that is what these are. Wii U/XBO/PS4 are the best console/set top boxes for playing games. You wont be able to buy a "better" one in this case because these ARE the "dedicated"/"better" ones (subjectively compared to say, Roku,GoogleTV,AppleTV,etc that are set top boxes that can play games). This is all you have to choose from in this generation.

The bonus to all these devices having extra features is just that: Extra features. whether its a camera on a phone or a browser on a console, they are just extra things you can use on a device you are using for something else to increase convenience/worth of the device. Being able to take a quick picture of something while you are JUST carrying a phone for example is a great convenience because you are usually always carrying a phone and rarely carrying a camera. If your sitting in font of your (game or watching) TV and want to check the weather, a console having a browser is more convenient than running up to a PC or going to use another device. Etc

My only issue with consoles having extra features is it still has to have games: Wii U has Nintendo, obviously going to be games in the future as Nintendo is the only company of the three that gaming is their lifeblood. Sony has a few 1st party games up there sleeves and already showed off a few, on top of the usual strong 3rd party support. MS showed off... watching TV :/ E3 is right around the corner though, so maybe they are saving all the goodies for them.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Surprisingly, some people have just as much (or more) fun playing Scramble With Friends or Punch Quest as Fire Emblem and Pokemon. The point of games is to have fun, right? Plus, don't forget all the emulators for Android (or jailbroken iOS).

Call me when Scramble or Punch Quest have full awesome soundtracks like my old-timey games.

Also not to reopen old arguments, but I concur with some posters that I don't really get all the angst against sports games. Let's ignore the whole idea behind televised sports for a minute(because I personally find that boring), and admit that basketball? Actually pretty fun. Soccer? You betcha. They are GAMES after all.

Yeah, it's fun to get some friends and play some basketball together, or just do some free throws yourself, but yeah, it's sometimes hard to make that all happen. I guess the biggest issue I have is that really, every game EA produces each year is just another roster switch with minimal gameplay changes, but didn't they create some kind of DLC scheme where you could just pay a bit for the roster or something? Is that still an issue?

Other than that, I can't really say I have much of an issue with sports games or Call of Duty(because hey, Call of Duty isn't that bad either), so I won't really fault MS for those reveals.

While I do have my own "armchair intellectual" thoughts on the system(and that hypothetical internet situation I mentioned was actually my situation for about 7 months), I've already migrated back to the PC, and it seems that slowly but surely, a lot of the devs that I care about are doing the same, and that number seems like it'll be increasing given the architecture of both new consoles, so as long as I can convince the majority of my buddies to migrate back to PC as well, I don't see a reason to own either system.

That'll probably change once the next Final Fantasy isn't announced for the PC again though...

From what I heard this is going to work exactly the same as Steam. You connect once, then you work in Offline mode for a while. Or you don't, as earlier Steam stories have shown.

the point i made is that steam is not mandatory to the games it houses whereas xbox one is.

but i guess reading is pretty difficult

the point i made is that steam is not mandatory to the games it houses whereas xbox one is.

but i guess reading is pretty difficult

Wrong. A lot of PC games these days have to be activated through Steam when you buy them retail.

I've already said this.

Once they're activated, you still have to download them. Look at Skyrim.

A brief explanation of the "game fees."

Guys, do you remember when we used to buy a video game system and a video game, and when we got home, we hooked the system up, stuck the video game in the system, then the system played the goddamn game?

As expected, full price. Maybe if the price shaved a few dollars it may help sell quite a few copy's to make up for a reduced mark-up.

Would buying an XBOXUNO be worth it if one physical disk from a friend could be used as a cheaper way to get games? Maybe, but with a limited lineup of games set for the the console (for now), well that's up to you to decide.

As a PC-chump I can't ever see myself buying an XBOXOne given the circumstances.

EDIT: Make more music. Please? :D

Edited by muredmoogle
Yelling at Blue

Wrong. A lot of PC games these days have to be activated through Steam when you buy them retail.

I've already said this.

Once they're activated, you still have to download them. Look at Skyrim.

By retail, you mean a physical copy out of a Gamestop? You still have to go through Steam to activate it?

A brief explanation of the "game fees."

Guys, do you remember when we used to buy a video game system and a video game, and when we got home, we hooked the system up, stuck the video game in the system, then the system played the goddamn game?

If this is accurate, I will never buy this system under any circumstance.

By the way, it will be interesting to see what Gamestop does to counter this. As much as I detest Gamestop, I think the industry has vastly underestimated the role they play when it comes to pre-selling new titles at the full sucker price.

EDIT: Make more music. Please? :D
;-)

Poor people can suck it.

LOL. That's exactly how I'm feeling right now. I'm hype about the technology that are being used to make modern games, but it seems like developers are straying away from the simple things that made gaming great in the first place.

Now-a-days, when I want to play a new game, I have to wait to download updates for my system, wait to install the updates, put in the game, install the game, download updates for the game, install the updates, THEN play the game...maybe. And if PSN is down for whatever retarded ass reason, all hope is lost!

I'm hype about the technology that are being used to make modern games, but it seems like developers are straying away from the simple things that made gaming great in the first place.

Now-a-days, when I want to play a new game, I have to wait to download updates for my system, wait to install the updates, put in the game, install the game, download updates for the game, install the updates, THEN play the game...maybe. And if PSN is down for whatever retarded ass reason, all hope is lost!

So why do you do modern gaming at all then?

Is it me or are games trying to kill people's social life even more than they were already? Just read that the Xbox One won't allow people to share games which gives me even less of a reason to go over to a friends house and play games all day. Never mind the screaming kids and the wives I can't stand being around. I just don't want to pay an extra 60 bucks to take a few games over to another Xbox!

Before, you needed to go somewhere if you wanted to play a two player game. Online gaming has voided that completely. Why go to a friends house to play when you can sit on your own couch and get an entire screen to yourself? Seeing people is overrated anyway right?

So anyway, NEW SONIC GAME IN NOVEMBER!!!!!! maybe.

Don't think this has been brought up, but what happens if I want to lend a game to a friend? Is it the same deal where he/she has to pay an activation fee, and then in order for me to play it when I get it back, I have to pay the fee also? That's terrible.