Xbox One

Don't think this has been brought up, but what happens if I want to lend a game to a friend? Is it the same deal where he/she has to pay an activation fee, and then in order for me to play it when I get it back, I have to pay the fee also? That's terrible.

I believe so far...

- You buy game, download it to your XBOX HDD and register it to your XBOX live account.

- Friend borrows CD, has to pay full price (according to sources by Blue Magic in earlier posts) and than has to register through XBOX live and download to own HDD.

So both you and your friend have a registered game under your accounts downloaded to your individual HDD's and that should be it. The CD is useless unless someone else also wants the full game to buy.

According to Angry Joe's rant, you don't have to keep an internet connection onto your XBOX BUT they do have to keep check with the internet at least once every 24 hours to make sure the registered user is on their own account.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, which i'm sure I am :-D

In regards to the "dedicated consoles are dying" debate, why didn't PC gaming ever kill consoles? The PC is a massively adopted multi-function machine that you don't just play games on. (I think it's because the TV exists.)

Oh and zirc, the 3DS hasn't been selling at a loss since last year. Sorry that doesn't fit your narrative.

Edited by ocre

Watched the reveal with my friend, was watching the Giantbomb coverage.

I managed to call the name of the game about 5 minutes before it was unveiled so thanking my psychic powers about now. Guess they want us to call it "The One".

It was rather disappointing I guess, short, very little actually revealed. One HORRENDOUSLY ugly console that several of my friends likened to a VHS machine. Which considering how much the reveal covered the TV capabilities it basically is.

The EA games revealed are nothing special as it's inevitable EA sports will go on, NFL isn't a big deal to me, Quantum Break was so vague and confusing it was essentially a nothing announcement, COD is also an inevitable thing that doesn't really interest me or look special in any way.

Except....

For mo-cap dogs.

Simple. I like the games.

I'm just ranting about the ridiculous amount of crap you have to do just to play them. And it seems like it will be getting even more cumbersome when One and PS4 are released.

Remember when blowing inside the cartridge was the biggest obstacle in getting a game to work?

- You buy game, download it to your XBOX HDD and register it to your XBOX live account.

- Friend borrows CD, has to pay full price (according to sources by Blue Magic in earlier posts) and than has to register through XBOX live and download to own HDD.

I thought I read something yesterday that said once the game registers to a new account, it'll get de-registered from the old one. That may have just been an earlier report and redacted by now, however. There seems to be a bit of that going on.

In regards to the "dedicated consoles are dying" debate, why didn't PC gaming ever kill consoles? The PC is a massively adopted multi-function machine that you don't just play games on. (I think it's because the TV exists.)

Oh and zirc, the 3DS hasn't been selling at a loss since last year. Sorry that doesn't fit your narrative.

Again, you can't argue with the market share being heavily dominated by iOS/Android now. Nintendo is not thriving, profitable, or the market leader in handhelds anymore. Sorry if that doesn't fit YOUR narrative. There is no way they will ever achieve the same level of market share they had before - smartphones will continue to grow.

As for the PC thing, PCs and consoles have not directly competed because consoles are designed for the living rooms and PCs aren't, among many other reasons. Most people use computers for work tasks, emails, etc. and it is inconvenient / infeasible to put them in your living room and hook them up to your TV to do that. Could you buy a second computer dedicated to that kind of thing? Yes, but now you're talking about a much richer audience that represents a tiny minority. Consoles are the de facto standard for living room media / entertainment.

Japan Reacts to Xbox One:

"It seems like the day has come for me to leave the Xbox. It's total nonsense that there is no backwards compatibility. Ah, but if The Idolmaster 3 comes out, I guess I'll have to buy it..."

"Television. The NFL. These things seem the biggest, but in Japan, they're totally irrelevant. For Japan, it's totally over. It's at the point where it doesn't matter if this doesn't sell in Japan."

"I gathered that they didn't think about Japan at all."

"I'm looking forward to the new Kinect."

"The PS4 [reveal] had more of a technical rundown, so it was more interesting."

"Western internet forums are on fire. lol"

"It was like, you can play those [old games] on the 360."

"Well, the controller didn't get worse. But, whatever..."

"Even if the functionality is increased, what you end up with is an old PC. It's okay they are putting effort into TV and video services. I don't need that, though, because I'm enjoying my PC gamer life."

"Put together a presentation for gamers."

"I wonder how Americans are gaming at home. Whenever I'm playing a game, I never feel like I want to watch TV, so the ability to switch between the two makes no sense to me."

"They [Microsoft] are not looking at Sony or Nintendo, but are frantically coming up with countermeasures for Apple and Google."

"And here, I thought they were going put out something with amazingly high specs..."

"The only thing I thought was amazing was the multi-tasking."

"Kinect is certainly amazing... But, what's this feeling I have that I cannot really explain... Have I turned into some elderly, decrepit gamer?"

"They're totally not thinking of Japan...This is worse than the Xbox 360."

"That D-pad on the controller was good. I guess they won't put that out on the slim Xbox 360."

"I like the console's design. But I have no clue why it's so damn big."

"The reaction from foreigners isn't good. On Twitter, it's being trashed."

Edit: A picture version of the above text.

bQsCA3u.gif

Edited by Brushfire

that's false.

sorry.

OK, so maybe that was a bit of hyperbole. But again, you can't argue with reality - that being the handheld space is more competitive now than ever before, and that is eating into the market for dedicated gaming handhelds.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/24/4259328/nintendo-posts-loss-wii-u-sales-weaker

I think Nintendo's success is driven more by its SOFTWARE than its hardware.

But anyway, this is all getting a bit off topic. My original point was just that making a multi-purpose gaming console is a smarter move than a single-use device that doesn't have all these extra software features (Skype, Netflix, TV, etc.) That's NOT making a prediction about the success of the Xbox One... since the 360 & PS3 already do 90% of this stuff, many consumers will not be interested in an upgrade.

So anyway, NEW SONIC GAME IN NOVEMBER!!!!!! maybe.

With the recent exclusivity deal Sega signed with Nintendo, it's definitely NOT coming to Xbox One. Or anything other than Wii U and/or 3DS, for that matter.

Japan Reacts to Xbox One:[...]

I'm surprised Japan stuck by them after this confusing piece of advertising.

xboxburger.jpg

I don't understand how people can say that. Most HDTVs today have PC-In. Most GPUs use HDMI connections. In what way is PC not made for TV? My PC is on TV right now. 52" HD monitor for the win. Full 1080p gaming with a computer that is already equally powerful to next-gen consoles. :tomatoface:

But this has only really been within the last 5 years, when HDTVs have reached mass market levels of adaption. Circa 2000, you'd have a boxy, heavy, CRT with a 20" monitor if you were lucky.

Also, it used to be more about exclusives. Most titles people wanted to play, were primarily console exclusive, or hit the PC market months/years later. That's not a bash on PC games, it was just the reality years ago. Since games are so damn expensive exclusives are becoming more and more rare.

Considering Halo and Gears of War are the only worth-while (and that's increasingly debatable) exclusives M$ has developed in the last 10+ years I can't see any reason why anyone is gonna pick an Xbox ONE over just about anything else, other than some blind fanboy loyalty.

With the recent exclusivity deal Sega signed with Nintendo, it's definitely NOT coming to Xbox One. Or anything other than Wii U and/or 3DS, for that matter.

Honestly, I'm happy about this. Because of the three companies, I have always been in most favor of Nintendo. I always get Nintendo consoles. And it has been annoying me in the past when some of the best and most recent Sonic games have not been for the Wii, like Generations. Unleashed was on Wii, but it was obviously better for the 360 and PS3.

So I'm glad they've done this partnership, because now maybe I'll get some good games from Sonic on the system. Hopefully. Hopefully SEGA will start doing Sonic right again.

Generations was pretty good. And I liked Unleashed. Other than that, pretty much everything following Sonic Heroes has been a mistake hahaha

OK, so maybe that was a bit of hyperbole. But again, you can't argue with reality - that being the handheld space is more competitive now than ever before, and that is eating into the market for dedicated gaming handhelds.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/24/4259328/nintendo-posts-loss-wii-u-sales-weaker

I think Nintendo's success is driven more by its SOFTWARE than its hardware.

But anyway, this is all getting a bit off topic. My original point was just that making a multi-purpose gaming console is a smarter move than a single-use device that doesn't have all these extra software features (Skype, Netflix, TV, etc.) That's NOT making a prediction about the success of the Xbox One... since the 360 & PS3 already do 90% of this stuff, many consumers will not be interested in an upgrade.

it is, but then again find me a person who says 'i used to be a handheld gamer but i left that market for smartphones' and i'll give you 20 bucks.

on the other hand, multi-purpose would be good if not for the fact that in the meantime the ability to play games easily and conveniently is being encroached upon. if you want to be able to play multiplayer games online, that's what, 150 (don't quote me but it was a big difference) for 2 years to get that in-box? and i have to be online even if i *don't* want that? and if a friend brings his copy of some trivia game over to play on the weekend, which I actually do regularly with You Don't Know Jack (awesome game) then it's just straight up not going to work?

watching tv/multitasking doesn't make most people say 'well i guess i can put up with that.' because nobody should have to.

I for one wonder how the statistics regarding people who exclusively own smartphones and use them for gaming compared to the people who exclusively own handheld consoles and apparently don't own smartphones are obtained in the first place

it is, but then again find me a person who says 'i used to be a handheld gamer but i left that market for smartphones' and i'll give you 20 bucks.

I imagine there are tons of parents out there that see investing in an phone/ipod touch, etc. as a much sounder choice where the games are typically free to $1, than $40+ a game for a dedicated handheld console.

Sure: starla. She owns a Nintendo DS (pink, imported) and used the play the crap out of it (a bit of a Brain Age addict, you see). She hasn't gotten a 3DS, and she hasn't picked up her DS since she got her Android. Why? Mostly because Plants versus Zombies, Osmos, and emulating GBA games have kept her satisfied.

Shael Riley is having a similar experience, though I don't even he even owned a DS. Suzumebachi too.

I know at least 3 IRL friends that are in a similar situation.

In fact...I only know a handful of my friends who payed out to get a 3DS (myself included), and those are all from OCR (Lizz, Ashamee) but most of my friends owned a DS or PSP, and don't really now.

I'm not saying that they don't own a 3DS specifically because they have a smart phone and that's a conscious decision, but I'm saying they decided the price of dedicated gaming hardware is not worth the money and then discovered there are good games available for their phones and are too distracted with those to even follow the handheld market.

I own a 3DS, but I've only played 1 game on it (Hey Ice King) while I've played quite a few games to completion on my iPod Touch (Ghost Trick, Jet Set Radio, Phoenix Wright...)

So don't pretend like it doesn't happen. Like I said it might not be someone declaring I DON'T NEED A 3DS BECAUSE I HAVE A SMART PHONE NOW! but a number of factors makes them uninterested in the idea of a dedicated portable gaming device.

Also: both Nintendo and Apple recognize this.

Do I think there's still a place for dedicated handheld gaming? Sure. Can I acknowledge it's becoming more niche than it once was? Absolutely.

Also: zircon PM the Derrit your paypal, he owes you at least $60 by now.

I own a 3DS, but I've only played 1 game on it (Hey Ice King) while I've played quite a few games to completion on my iPod Touch (Ghost Trick, Jet Set Radio, Phoenix Wright...)

I like how all your examples of games you gave originated all on other consoles.

Y'see I'm more bothered about the kind of games made for phones as opposed to dedicated handhelds, touchscreen-based controls can really irk me if they aren't innovative.

I like the feel of buttons beneath my thumbs and find on-screen buttons for an emulator just aren't as effective or precise for me (call it my fat thumbs).

You add nothing to this conversation with comments like that.

My comment was more relevant than the reply you dedicated a whole post to.

I'm just saying maybe one day people will be sick of Angry Birds.

Back on topic, Don Mattrick calls backward compatibility 'backwards' (yet Xbox One charging you to play a used game you already bought is progressive).