Xbox One

My comment was more relevant than the reply you dedicated a whole post to.

I'm just saying maybe one day people will be sick of Angry Birds.

Back on topic, Don Mattrick calls backward compatibility 'backwards' (yet Xbox One charging you to play a used game you already bought is progressive).

Yeah I'm sick of Angry Birds. I'm sick of Temple Run.

I want a big large game with a true story. A Nintendo 3DS is capable of having some pretty large games too. Heck, I'd pick Luigi's Mansion 2 over an iPhone game any day. I just want a large game, more to do, and I want to feel like I'm part of the game. Nintendo can do that. Rovio cannot (that's who makes Angry Birds, right... the company is called something like that).

Sure, Angry Birds is fun, but it's just... fun. I don't really feel anything when playing it. It does nothing special for me. There are good games for the 3DS that I would rather have than just buying apps on an iPhone.

But I don't own either. I'm a home game console guy.

angry birds et al. are a lot like michael bay movies

you're not necessarily wrong to like them but to imply that the movie industry can - or, more pertinently, should - survive on nothing but is shortsighted at best in several ways

Yeah, but not all smartphone games are Angry Birds. There are plenty of great strategy games, racing games, sim games, RPGs, puzzle games, action RPGs, etc. for iOS and Android. Of course a hardcore dungeon crawler isn't gonna be the #1 bestselling game on these platforms but if you WANT a game like that (for example) there are dozens. There are also great ports available - something that I know I used my Nintendo DS & PSP for quite a bit (they're now collecting dust). Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy games, Bastion, and so forth. Mobile lends itself particularly well to turn-based games, sim/management type games and puzzlers, basically anything where it's not super tight twitch action.

Rama hit the nail on the head. It's not that people are suddenly making a black-and-white switch, but we all have limited time and money. Previously, if I was going to spend time and money on handheld gaming, it was going to be on my PSP & DS. Now, 9 times out of 10, I buy a new game for my iPad or Galaxy S3. I also did not buy a Vita or 3DS whereas if iOS/Android didn't exist I would have probably bought both.

But remember, what is true for you or for several people you know is not necessarily indicative of what is true for everyone. Using your experiences as a baseline for market trends is faulty from the start.

Not saying you are, of course.

But also remember that that still represents the vast majority of people out there. Sure Nintendo & Sony are hitting part of their niche market, but smart phones are undeniably eating into their niche market, as well as expanding that market.

Right now there are still people that will by a dedicated gaming handheld, but that number is dropping. That is indisputable. No amount of links, graphs, and figures about how many Nintendo 3DSs have sold world wide is going to change the fact that it's just not as popular as smart phone gaming. You can write off Angry Birds and Temple Run all you want, but they sure as hell make money.

Not to mention DS games were made with mobile gaming in mind, too. They're just a bit more fleshed out. The World Ends with You, the Kingdom Hearts game released on DS, and Crisis Core (all SE, I know) are all short mission-based systems with storyline tied in because it's conducive to the mobile gaming experience. The primary thing holding mobile phone gaming back is their limited control scheme, and don't expect that to hold many publishers back for long.

Also: Come to think of it if Nintendo released an Android 4.0+ based hybrid system that could run Android apps natively with decent resolution, had a headphone jack on the side and had a media library that could compete with the iPod experience...I don't even think this would be a discussion at all, but would certainly prove zircon's point.

I like how this has turned into a discussion about hypotheticals and mobile gaming when this is the thread to talk about the Xbox One.

The discussion is about the viability of gaming-only hardware (which is...I'd guess only Ouya at this point) versus hybrid media hardware (Which the XBOX One is). The example is mobile gaming versus smartphone gaming.

Also, funny that you mentioned Crisis Core (a PSP game) in the same breath as DS games without mentioning that it wasn't a DS game.

The platform is irrelevant. The point is it's a common design pattern among mobile games.

zircon and rama get in the android thread and gimme some of these amazing games that I'm totally missing out on

dead goddamn serious

To be entirely fair, I've been leaning toward iOS lately, but that's an entirely different discussion.

Edited by Ramaniscence

The platform is irrelevant. The point is it's a common design pattern among mobile games.

Can't argue with that. Both Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon are split into stages to take advantage of the fact that they're on handheld platforms.

I only brought that up for accuracy's sake. Perhaps I can be too much of a stickler for details at times. *shrugs*

- You buy game, download it to your XBOX HDD and register it to your XBOX live account.

- Friend borrows CD, has to pay full price (according to sources by Blue Magic in earlier posts) and than has to register through XBOX live and download to own HDD.

Incorrect on the 2nd part if you mean just play it together. The game is tied to your XBL account, so you can sign into your friends Xbox and you can install it and play it together, but as soon as you sign out the game will not launch anymore. This is similar to how XBLA games already work. Now if your friend wants to play it without you being signed in, yes, he will have to buy it.

There is an option to sell/trade licenses but MS has not specified how this will work.

You can not lend games out in a normal fashion (which is another thing that sucks) but you can come over to someones house and play it just fine.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Right now there are still people that will by a dedicated gaming handheld, but that number is dropping. That is indisputable. No amount of links, graphs, and figures about how many Nintendo 3DSs have sold world wide is going to change the fact that it's just not as popular as smart phone gaming. You can write off Angry Birds and Temple Run all you want, but they sure as hell make money.

I linked the "NA 3DS 2-yr sales outpacing DS sales" article for a couple of reasons. 1) The original DS sold the compared amount before iPhones & tablets hit the scene and 3DS sold more in a time when smartphones are said to render dedicated machines obsolete 2) the article cited only North American sales not global sales ( so you can't say the figures were influenced by Japanese sales- Japan being a region where the 3DS is selling extremely well).

I wasn't trying to say the 3DS sold more units than smartphones. I wasn't denying that more people download more free apps on their phones than people buy $40 3DS games. I just want to point out that this data makes it sound like more people have bought the 3DS than the DS (in the respective systems first 2 years on the market)in a world where smartphones are already on the scene. What am I missing about this data that makes it irrelevant & dismissible?

NOTE: DS, I started my post before you had requested we change gears in the Xbox thread, please move this post as you see fit.)

I love Windows. Office is great. No need to boycott Microsoft products because you don't like the Xbone and think that dweeby looking probably-rapist said something you don't agree with.

Really, dude?

Oh, and that "dweeby looking probably-rapist" (and former President of EA, I should add) lives here.

Edited by ocre

Really, dude?

That "dweeby looking probably-rapist" (and former President of EA, I should add) lives here.

What point are you trying to make? That we should boycott because he has a nice house, or that probably-rapists are not financially secure? I can tell you one thing, he can probably afford multiple trips to Taiwan per year. Ain't no other probably-rapists have that kind of resources. Also make sure you keep putting probably- before it, for legal reasons.

With the recent exclusivity deal Sega signed with Nintendo, it's definitely NOT coming to Xbox One. Or anything other than Wii U and/or 3DS, for that matter.

My soul dropped when I realized that at the end of the last generation that I was standing in line to buy a gamecube just to play the SEGA games I missed. Most of them I didn't even miss, they were just repackaged for the gamecube and I had to have them! Now I don't know what to think... but i guess i'll be jumping from Xbox one to Wii U. 8)

Speaking of that I still haven't picked up a wii to play my copy of Sonic Colors i've had for about two years now....

Sonic Colors

Not to go too off topic but Sonic Colors is a fantastic game. You should definitely play it, and not just because

, but because the whole game is really good, and all of the music is really enjoyable. Good game + good music = greatness. And now to attempt to squeak back on topic so this post isn't all off.... so that Call of Duty preview... the series isn't typically known for its music, we'll see how having a dog companion adds to the fun of the game. :-)

Why have you people been comparing a phone with highly dedicated internet and media resources (with marginal to moderate game support) to a dedicated game system with limited (or even non-existent) internet and media support for the last five pages?

You're comparing apples to oranges. Handhelds like the 3DS (and even the Vita) aren't comparable to android/iPhones. They're so vastly different. You may as well compare PC desktop systems to phones as well. They're far more comparable in terms of function and use (internet, media, online communication, etc) and happen to also do games.

3DS doesn't do movies or music very well, and is meant as a game device. You can cite all the games phones have, but they're still vastly different machines.

Why do people even consider this as plausible or relevant?