Xbox One

As for everything said so far:

Crowbar Man:

Really? I thought SNES was 1990. And I thought PS2 was '01.

Mirby:

What you are saying about console generations slowing down is exactly what I'm saying. It's just hard to figure out a way to improve anything else other than graphics anymore, and even then that's going pretty slowly.

Additionally, yeah, Wii was Nintendo's comeback, because GameCube didn't do so well compared to all their previous game systems. Sony sorta took the crown (they already were dominating with the PS1) and then Microsoft came in which made things even more annoying for Nintendo. GameCube wasn't an enormous failure, but of the three consoles (not counting Dreamcast, which died out in like '01), GameCube was the least successful. Which is unfortunate, because it's one of my favorite game systems ever, other than the '64. I mean, I guess that's because I grew up with them, but those two systems were and still are my all-time favorites.

Honestly, I would love it if SEGA tried to make another game console again, but I know they won't. They seriously were ahead of their time by a bit, honestly, especially with the Dreamcast, which began the next generation at least 2 years before the next console in the generation would release. Dreamcast was competing with N64 and PS1, and technically it was ahead of the two of them. While Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was the thing on the '64, you had Sonic Adventure going on on the Dreamcast which was a whole other deal. For its time, it's graphics were dominating against N64 and PS1. But it was the beginning of a new generation, which would explain a lot. And by the time PS2, Xbox, and GCN released, Dreamcast was failing.

I don't know anyone with a Saturn or Dreamcast. I know people with a Genesis (including myself), but Saturn and Dreamcast just sorta died out. Not forgotten (by people who were alive when the two consoles were existent, at least), but not many people own one anymore.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

I don't know anyone with a Saturn or Dreamcast. I know people with a Genesis (including myself), but Saturn and Dreamcast just sorta died out. Not forgotten (by people who were alive when the two consoles were existent, at least), but not many people own one anymore.

Still got mine (though really, it's my second Saturn, since the first one died).

You're a good man.

How else would I get to enjoy the likes of Panzer Dragoon Saga, Astal Stellar Assault SS, Vampire Savior (better than the arcade versions), Thunder Force V (better than PS1 version), and other classics? Yeah, it's not the easiest system to start getting games for, as the prices have gone up a lot. But I guess that's the advantage of buying the games back when they were affordable at EB, Gamestop, Toys R Us, High Voltage (mail order place... had great prices), and them.

My original Dreamcast is still going strong, thankfully. **knocks on wood like a mother fucker**

My original Dreamcast is still going strong, thankfully. **knocks on wood like a mother fucker**

Haha yeah there's this game store down where I am called "The Score" and it's got everything. I saw this box for a Saturn and one for a Dreamcast and I so wanted to buy it, but I had no money on me at the time, and I've decided it was probably best, because I can't be going wasting my money right now.

As for everything said so far:

Crowbar Man:

Really? I thought SNES was 1990. And I thought PS2 was '01.

Mirby:

What you are saying about console generations slowing down is exactly what I'm saying. It's just hard to figure out a way to improve anything else other than graphics anymore, and even then that's going pretty slowly.

Additionally, yeah, Wii was Nintendo's comeback, because GameCube didn't do so well compared to all their previous game systems. Sony sorta took the crown (they already were dominating with the PS1) and then Microsoft came in which made things even more annoying for Nintendo. GameCube wasn't an enormous failure, but of the three consoles (not counting Dreamcast, which died out in like '01), GameCube was the least successful. Which is unfortunate, because it's one of my favorite game systems ever, other than the '64. I mean, I guess that's because I grew up with them, but those two systems were and still are my all-time favorites.

Honestly, I would love it if SEGA tried to make another game console again, but I know they won't. They seriously were ahead of their time by a bit, honestly, especially with the Dreamcast, which began the next generation at least 2 years before the next console in the generation would release. Dreamcast was competing with N64 and PS1, and technically it was ahead of the two of them. While Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was the thing on the '64, you had Sonic Adventure going on on the Dreamcast which was a whole other deal. For its time, it's graphics were dominating against N64 and PS1. But it was the beginning of a new generation, which would explain a lot. And by the time PS2, Xbox, and GCN released, Dreamcast was failing.

I wasn't... disagreeing with you?

I'm with Brushfire. I really like consoles. I love having my big TV that I can can play mind-blowingly awesome games on. I buy a computer for utility. I do school work, personal tasks, and occasionally some gaming and fun (like listening to music or watching videos). But because my computer is so central to aspects of my life beyond gaming, it is not really built to handle that full time, and it quickly runs out of disk space (my 4 year old laptop has had several hundred GB of files moved to external drives, most of which have nothing to do with gaming).

My console however (Xbox 360), despite being a multimedia machine, is my primary game machine. Yes I watch movies and TV (Netflix, Xfinity, and DVDs) on it. Yes I play music on it and talk with people over Xbox Live. Yes I get gaming news from it. But when I want to buy a game,. the first thing I do is check to see if it available for the 360. Because that is my main gaming device.

I have a good computer. I have a nice iPod Touch. But my 360 is the one I game on, because it's easy to use, it's got a gigantic screen and speakers, and the games are widely available at just about any large retailer as well as Gamestop and other game stores.

I think it was Sony's entrance into the industry which started the trend of selling powerful hardware at a loss and viewed it as an investment to get a foothold in the market. This strategy was never going to last forever. Especially after Nintendo went with their usual cost-effective approach for the Wii and instead focused on reeling other demographics in, I think this caused a paradigm shift in the industry.

Edit: Aw man someone already posted this. Oh welll, read that article above it has more info anyways:

So, its starting to sound less terrible but there is a big problem still: It doesn't seem YOU will be able to resell your own game, just authorized vendors.

Also, unless MS makes some special deal, I'm sure this cuts out rentals like GameFly and RedBox still either way.

So yeah, this is why EA stopped online codes. MS (and probably Sony, they are just keeping quiet) are changing the way the used market is working right now to make sure they/publishers get a cut of it. Online codes are unnecessary, games themselves have codes required to play and they will get a cut of used games one way or another.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Well, Nintendo can thank Microsoft for selling all those Wii Us.

people are jumping ship faster than politicians on SOPA.

I thought that was sorta funny, honestly.

I'll be getting one of those this holiday season, probably, because all of meh favorite gamez are comin' out for it.

I'll take classic SNES games over a new console any day. Bah. I feel old. Get off my lawn ya dang kids.

lol this is exactly how I feel.

That comic was 8th gen consoles in a nutshell.

Edited by Garrett Williamson