Xbox One

Here's the thing about consumers and the products they buy. Take this from a business owner... people only care about something insomuch as it affects them. That is not to say everyone is SELFISH. You might be against "anti-consumer" products because you as a person value that cause, and it makes you feel good to support it. However, most people really don't care about this stuff. People on forums like this, or even larger sites like Reddit, are not at all a good representation of the majority of America. Most people do not buy (or not buy) things 'on principle', but rather because it fulfills a need. The Xbox One is a home entertainment device for the living room, obviously focused on games. People will buy it despite all the other issues if it fulfills that need.

It's like how there was so much outrage about Diablo 3 always requiring an internet connection. You would think that it would do terribly based on how many people online said they would never support it, and yet, it was a record seller. Likewise, all the people that rail against DLC are dwarfed by the people that buy DLC because it gives them enjoyment.

Truth. The other side of this is that people don't really think about how things can adversely affect them in general, they consider consequences after the fact.

If I really liked Sim City I may have ordered it, and I almost certainly would have been annoyed with how badly it worked (like early on Diablo 3) but eventually stuff gets fixed, it's just a matter of waiting... sometimes a long time... I think the most heinous features announced for Xbone, like the 24 hour connection thing, might get patched out in a future update when they see how much it affects the sales of Xbone. But that's an overly optimistic view.

Reminds me of all the people who were stupid enough to still continue buying SimCity despite the immense amount of press being given to EAs consumer buttfucking.

Sim City 2013 has sold 1.6 million copies. So roughly $60,000,000 not counting DLC.

Tomb Raider 2013 sold about 3.15 million copies before being considered a commercial failure.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II sold 10 million copies.

Obviously there's about a million other factors going on here, but I'd like to think that Sim City is still considered a commercial failure (I doubt EA would ever admit it) and that the consumers not purchasing it means something and that we could see a similar trend with XBONE.

Only time will tell, though.

Tomb Raider 2013 sold about 3.15 million copies before being considered a commercial failure.

I'm really bad at math but 3 million copies of Tomb Raider at $45 a pop (to be fair, I'm sure a lot of people paid $60 for it)

Is like $135 million dollars

If a Hollywood movie budget is that high and it makes $30 million back (not including dvd sales etc), it's considered a flop

So either game budgets are overly bloated, which is true, or publishers need to redefine what they could consider to be a 'flop'

If Square-Enix expected the game to be their single source of income for the year then yeah it was a flop :-P

"Veteran analyst Billy Pidgeon says $100m Tomb Raider needs 5 to 10 million sales to be successful" If the budget was $100 million then shouldn't $135 million be a good profit? Not to mention, the way I did the math setting the price at $45 for each copy is skewed, a lot bought it for $60 which would add up to $180 million if everyone paid $60

Edited by Brandon Strader

Sim City 2013 has sold 1.6 million copies. So roughly $60,000,000 not counting DLC.

Obviously there's about a million other factors going on here, but I'd like to think that Sim City is still considered a commercial failure (I doubt EA would ever admit it) and that the consumers not purchasing it means something and that we could see a similar trend with XBONE.

A lot of SimCity copies got returned, though - EA even went full dumbass and started banning anyone who got a key from Amazon simply because Amazon made exceptions to PC returns, just for SimCity

As for Tomb Raider, by now that's largely considered Square-Enix's fault. They set hideously high sales expectations due to mismanagement. It's only a commercial failure in Square-Enix's eyes and their bar that's set somewhere in the ionosphere.

True, although the budget for those games could also alter that fact. A game budgeted for $50 million that sells 3.15 mil copies is a different beast than one budgeted at $100 mil that does the same amount of business.

I'm trying to recall what EA supposedly budgeted toward SimCity.

I'm skeptical that SimCity's online requirement was the cause of lower-than-expected sales. I think it's that the SimCity series isn't exactly a hot seller. Though there was no one official source, when I googled "SimCity 4 sales" I found figures ranging from 200k to 300k. Even if we triple or quadruple that it's still not gonna be anywhere near Call of Duty numbers.

I'm skeptical that SimCity's online requirement was the cause of lower-than-expected sales. I think it's that the SimCity series isn't exactly a hot seller. Though there was no one official source, when I googled "SimCity 4 sales" I found figures ranging from 200k to 300k. Even if we triple or quadruple that it's still not gonna be anywhere near Call of Duty numbers.

To be fair, nothing is going to even come close to CODs numbers. Cept maybe Sports.

i think it's a game that probably isn't going to sell groundbreaking numbers but 200 to 300k is really low, for a game that had a TON of initial hype until the 'no offline' bomb got dropped on everyone. and then the server screwed up. and anyone who hadn't preordered it was like NO THANKS.

that would be interesting to see how many people preordered, and how many total sales there were. my first guess would be it's a very high percentage comparative to your average game.

It's like how there was so much outrage about Diablo 3 always requiring an internet connection. You would think that it would do terribly based on how many people online said they would never support it, and yet, it was a record seller. Likewise, all the people that rail against DLC are dwarfed by the people that buy DLC because it gives them enjoyment.

For Diablo 3 the Online requirement actually makes a bit of sense, unlike sim city. I'm against this kind of crap of online only for offline games but for D3 it worked and solved quite a few problems D2 had.

As for the Xbox one, I wasn't going to buy it or any console anyways, but this debacle is just an extra deterrent for me. Why would anyone buy an Xbox one over building up a decent PC now that they are the same thing is beyond me. (well the xbox one is way worse since it doesn't offer the many other advantages of having a good PC) I don't really mind no used games because hey, we all use steam.

The SimCity series isn't exactly known for being a hot seller, but SC2013 was the fastest- and best-selling game in the series. I also doubt it had the budget of Tomb Raider or Cod Blops.

i think it's a game that probably isn't going to sell groundbreaking numbers but 200 to 300k is really low, for a game that had a TON of initial hype until the 'no offline' bomb got dropped on everyone. and then the server screwed up. and anyone who hadn't preordered it was like NO THANKS.

that would be interesting to see how many people preordered, and how many total sales there were. my first guess would be it's a very high percentage comparative to your average game.

I think you misread, SC4 was the one that sold about 200-300k (apparently). The new Sim City sold over a million. I think the gamer outrage was again dwarfed by the general population.

I'm skeptical that SimCity's online requirement was the cause of lower-than-expected sales. I think it's that the SimCity series isn't exactly a hot seller.

Also doesn't help that, once you can even get online and play the thing, it is actually a broken and bad game with less features than previous SimCity games. It is quite sad it has sold as much as it has honestly since it is such a train wreck both from a game and DRM standpoint :/

The thing with what happened with simc city and to a lesser extent diablo 3, is that A LOT of people bought it because hey, it's a NEW sim city (or diablo)! we've been waiting this for years now!. I think the sim city brand suffered a lot of damage and it won't be easy to recover from it. Same with Diablo 3, I enjoyed the game for a while but I see no reason to play that ever again, while I will be more likely to boot up diablo 2 sometime in the future. A LOT of people will be much more cautious with future diablo releases, and some will even ignore it due to disapointment.

As for the XBOX One I think it will still sell millions because dumb people are dumb. Also omfghalo.

It's possible, only time will tell. On a side note, Diablo 3 was reviewed fairly well and again I think only a minority of people were very negative about it. I'm sure the expansion will be a very big success.

I think it got good reviews because, as no one will deny, the game is the most fun at the start, and that's what most reviewers got to play. I don't think any of those reviewers even got to inferno. As for the expansion being a very big success, I highly doubt that too. Judging from my friend list, everyone stopped playing the game long ago and the only person from my friend list that I think will be buying that is you (well, at least I think you will from what I can tell). All I've heard from everyone else is they will probably stay away from it. Expansions very rarely bring new users in so yeah, I don't think we should expect the numbers only to go far down than what the original pulled off.

I personally had my fun with the game while it lasted but I'm not buying the expansion. The problems with the game can't be resolved why just an expansion, they run very very deep. Maybe for diablo 4!

The SimCity series isn't exactly known for being a hot seller, but SC2013 was the fastest- and best-selling game in the series. I also doubt it had the budget of Tomb Raider or Cod Blops.

I was looking for some info like this. Unlike feature films, game budgets aren't highly publicized (and searching "SimCity 2013 budget will get you...well not what you're looking for"), and while it SimCity 2013 sold quickly, it didn't sell anything after that. It sold 1.2 million in the first 2 weeks, and barely anything after that. That at least says the internet doesn't forget, but how much did it really effect the bottom line? Is the internet disciplined enough as consumers to really make a different in the difference in the market? (when it comes to NOT buying things, because we already know it does when it comes to buying things). For whatever reason the information just isn't there. :???:

Also: In addition to all the problems and DRM SimCity 2013 had, and still has, a $60 price tag which is outrageous for a digital download PC title (imho). Let alone a mediocre one. Either they thought they could sell more than they did, or they anticipated low numbers and wanted to milk that for as much as they realistically could.

Also: In addition to all the problems and DRM SimCity 2013 had, and still has, a $60 price tag which is outrageous for a digital download PC title (imho). Let alone a mediocre one. Either they thought they could sell more than they did, or they anticipated low numbers and wanted to milk that for as much as they realistically could.

Also: Origin. ugh.

I think it got good reviews because, as no one will deny, the game is the most fun at the start, and that's what most reviewers got to play. I don't think any of those reviewers even got to inferno. As for the expansion being a very big success, I highly doubt that too. Judging from my friend list, everyone stopped playing the game long ago and the only person from my friend list that I think will be buying that is you (well, at least I think you will from what I can tell). All I've heard from everyone else is they will probably stay away from it. Expansions very rarely bring new users in so yeah, I don't think we should expect the numbers only to go far down than what the original pulled off.

I personally had my fun with the game while it lasted but I'm not buying the expansion. The problems with the game can't be resolved why just an expansion, they run very very deep. Maybe for diablo 4!

If only a tiny percentage of people got to inferno, and those people had fun, then why wouldn't they buy the expansion? And again either way, the point is that the game was very successful despite the fact that it's online-only. That reinforces my point - vocal gamers represent a tiny tiny minority. There are lots of people still playing D3. The latest patches are actually pretty amazing.