Xbox One

I was just watching total biscuit and he mentioned something that made me chuckle but that at the same time is kinda mind-boggling.

Poland is one of the countries that the xbox one won't be available at launch (and god knows when). Not only there are tons of gamers there, but there are also some videogame companies.

Like CD Projekt Red.

Makers of the witcher 3.

An xbox one exclusive launch title.

How awesome is that they won't be able to play their own title when it comes out? The only reason I don't find this completely hilarious is because those guys from CD Projekt Red are actually pretty cool guys and a very promising young studio who have been pretty advocate against DRM in the past.

I was just watching total biscuit and he mentioned something that made me chuckle but that at the same time is kinda mind-boggling.

Poland is one of the countries that the xbox one won't be available at launch (and god knows when). Not only there are tons of gamers there, but there are also some videogame companies.

Like CD Projekt Red.

Makers of the witcher 3.

An xbox one exclusive launch title.

How awesome is that they won't be able to play their own title when it comes out? The only reason I don't find this completely hilarious is because those guys from CD Projekt Red are actually pretty cool guys and a very promising young studio who have been pretty advocate against DRM in the past.

I'm not even surprised anymore. Microsoft is doing literally *everything* wrong. Everything. Every...thing.

And then this piece on used games vs. excessively high game budgets happened.

I'm glad I'm not the only one banging the drum on this issue.

I don't really think the points he made were all that great, honestly. I'm always wary of someone who has such a simple solution to an enduring problem. There are so many variables to consider in business and I don't think he's even aware of how complicated it is. You need to consider branding, time of release, absorption of risk into additional cost, licensing, etc.

The man seems to think what he personally considers good games of anecdotal evidence (Minecraft) should be the principle on which a business should operate.

Rather than ask the question, "Do games need to be this expensive to make?" the question instead becomes, "How can we squeeze more money to keep making very expensive games?"

Really? Do you really think that it has never occurred to publishers to reduce spending while keeping the same revenues? The large majority of successful games have a huge budget, or at least needed one to start them up in case of sequels.

I utterly defy you to convince me Resident Evil 6 nearly selling six million copies yet still failing to meet expectations could be blamed upon the used game market.

The more a game sells, the more it will sell used copies as well. Who knows how many copies Resident Evil 6 would have sold if they used game market hadn't existed.

Despite what demagogues and mouthpieces will tell you, the market is not demanding all its games be so expensive to produce.

Define 'market'.

Having a game that is extremely visually impressive in terms of both art design and technology can help kickstart an original IP or, at the very least, prevent from damaging an existing one. It also differentiates you from your competitors; there are only so many genres of video games and people will be drawn to the one that looks the most polished. This is even more true if your product is a flagship of said genre. Gran Turismo (and most sports games) can simply not stop spending like crazy on licensing and photo-realistic graphics.

In the end, I think all companies are working hard to find their market and the perfect balance between money spent and revenue in order to maximize their profit. I have more trust in them that a single guy saying: "Hey idiots it's simple, spend less and you'll make a lot more profit!".

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if anything, big budget games like Resident Evil 6(especially Resident Evil 6) and the like would have sold much, MUCH less if there were no used market. People would have no incentive to pick up what is essentially a "maybe" game until it got down to $20 or so.

It also isn't a matter of "spend less = more profit" as much as it's "spend less = studio won't close if game doesn't sell millions of units."

People keep posting stuff from XboxSupport, and they seem to be saying all this really negative stuff about the Xbone. It's pretty outrageous, first of all I'd hate to work for XboxSupport right now, secondly I can't help but feel sorry for these dudes who are answering the questions, honestly, but the truth just happens to be shitty. :cry:

Ouch. That whole not being able to even ACTIVATE your games outside of an approved country is really terrible. Region lock OK, IP region lock is just insanity. And I really hope you can at least play your activated games. Part of the article says no but the rep says yes... we'll see

Edited by Crowbar Man

The only issue here is Digital Distro is already here on other platforms like Steam/iOS/Android/etc or heck, PS3/PSPGo. They have none of these restrictions. Why is MS making everything so extremely inconvenient?

Because they:

A. want to fail

B. all of the above

C. trust that enough 12-14 year old boys (who consider PS2 to be old-school gaming) will have mothers who have never heard of DRM or Orwell

D. IT'S A TRAP!

Well, if your account gets banned, that means that nobody is going to use it and they should untie the games that were related to it. So one SHOULD be able to make a new account and reactivate from the disc. Hopefully that is what they do.

You know I never knew that people in the military were even allowed to play video games. I'm glad they can, though. Somebody get those guys some PS4s!