Xbox One

if they do i'm sure it will save them a bunch of people but after all this i took a long hard look at why i would want to have an xbox over a ps4, and looked through my 360 games and saw how many of them i could only play on xbox. long story short: halo games and gears of war. i like both of those series quite a bit but there are so many other series on playstation last generation that i'm either interested in or could see myself liking.

uncharted, jak and daxter, metal gear solid (at least 4 was only on playstation), kingdom hearts, infamous, god of war (that's a REALLY big one), gran turismo, little big planet, sly cooper, rachet and clank and motorstorm. that's a lot. i probably like the xbox controller a little bit more but how hard is that to get used to really?

and the whole goodwill thing is frankly big as well. i'm more inclined to give my money to a company who at the very least has the good sense to not try and pull something like that without thinking it requires a very good, thorough explanation. even though i now have a better understanding of what they're doing with xbox, and it's not all bad, their approach was 'hey, we're microsoft. this is what you're going to buy. take it. we don't care if you don't like it because you're sheep and like halo so you'll buy it.'

i'm glad if this is true, because it's healthier for everyone, but it doesn't change my mind.

edit: it's true. but really? don mattingly posted this? he should be fired by now.

Edited by The Derrit

So, after the confirmation, allow me to repost this:

SO, after the overwhelming positive response to sony at e3(seriously, I've never seen anything like it before), plus the majority of the press praising and supporting them while openly mocking microsoft, plus now EA coming out and publicly stating they didn't lobby MS on the used games/online requirement crap thus placing the blame on this stupid plan on them, who else thinks microsoft will change their policies before launch?

Without the online requirement DRM for offline games and enabling used games, I feel a lot of gamers who decided to switch sides could come back. But the price point and the requirement of kinect which the overwhelming majority of gamers aren't interested in will still affect them a lot, specially the price point. I think Sony is in a great position to win this generation by far even if MS backs down on its bullshit.

If they still go with this and don't change their policy before launch, well, I see them doing much, muuuch worse than the ps3 did at first in this generation. Remember Sony was just as cocky and delusional as microsoft is now, but they didn't have such a shitstorm around them at the time.

This applies perfectly since the kinect requirement and price point are still there.

Thoughts?

In case the link above is unresponsive due to traffic (like it is for me most of the time(, here is the full text.

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Don Mattrick...the guy who said "If you want backwards compatibility, you're really backwards" and said things like only people on nuclear submarines would care about the always online requirement said all that good stuff?

He really needs fired, policy redemption or not he's going to go down as an infamous PR man.

Don Mattrick...the guy who said "If you want backwards compatibility, you're really backwards" and said things like only people on nuclear submarines would care about the always online requirement said all that good stuff?

He really needs fired, policy redemption or not he's going to go down as an infamous PR man.

He's a PR guy. he's there to lie and spin, that's his job! just as is reggie's and other people like that in the industry. It's just that he had a REALLY tough job this time around trying to spin the impossible.

He's a PR guy. he's there to lie and spin, that's his job! just as is reggie's and other people like that in the industry. It's just that he had a REALLY tough job this time around trying to spin the impossible.

i guess you could say he

*puts on sunglasses

did a 360?

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

i guess you could say he

*puts on sunglasses

did a 360?

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

*nudges* psst....that'd be if they went all the way around back to the awful policies.

Actually considering their credibility now I wouldn't be surprised if they still tried to enforce these policies in an update post-launch or some other dirty move like that.

*nudges* psst....that'd be if they went all the way around back to the awful policies.

Actually considering their credibility now I wouldn't be surprised if they still tried to enforce these policies in an update post-launch or some other dirty move like that.

i was actually quoting about how he had to spin, therefore doing a 360 :P

then again he could have been doing a 1080 snowboarding

work your body, work your body

i agree that after this i dont trust them not to bring out these policies slowly in updates while customers are unaware.

i was actually quoting about how he had to spin, therefore doing a 360 :P

then again he could have been doing a 1080 snowboarding

work your body, work your body

i agree that after this i dont trust them not to bring out these policies slowly in updates while customers are unaware.

Yeah after all I can't count how many times I've blindly agreed to a legal agreement in order to rush an update on my PS3 or install any PC game ever.

Though the problem is it'll be a case of 'update' or 'you cannot use your product at all' most likely if they do try that.

Honestly, I think another 3-5 years from now, people will want the kind of functionality that the XBone was offering. A knee jerk reaction to something different shows the immaturity of the gaming community on the whole. Moving away from physical copies of games makes sense in the long run, regardless of what we as gamers are used to.

If I look casually at my friends list on xbox at any given time, there are more people watching netflix and hulu than there are playing games. Don't you think a company with such an overwhelming amount of money and resources knows what is in their best interest?

That being said, I gave up on the 360 being a game console a long time ago. Most of the innovation and interesting games are not on the system, or not exclusive to the system. I think I will just stick to investing in older games and scoop up the ones that matter on steam from now on.