Podium is lookin' good!

Argitoth

I hear it's very stable, very ergonomic, and can compete with any sequencer out there. Take a look at the reviews: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/834.html

Frits Nielsen is the only developer and he updates his product very often. It's looking really promising and I might replace Cubase with it because of all the limitations that Cubase purposely imposes for GOD knows why (such as the limit on VSTs, insert, send, and group effects, it drives me insane).

The product is still in its infancy, but it looks AWESOME. I can't wait to try the demo (no computer yet). The coolest feature I think is the bouncing (freezing) of tracks. Check out the video files on the front page.

http://www.zynewave.com/

...what the hell are you talking about?

Cubase SX3 has:

64 VST slots

64 Send effect slots

8 inserts per channel

When are you ever going to use more then 8 effects? And besides, you can just use sends. And 64 VST slots? You show me a song that has 64 virtual instruments running at once. Your computer will die before you can even think about using all these channels!

And Cubase has a freeze option; its right next to each of the VST instrument names on the selector.

WOW, FREEZING!

When are you ever going to use more then 8 effects? And besides, you can just use sends. And 64 VST slots? You show me a song that has 64 virtual instruments running at once.

Some people are that nuts, Zoola.

I'm not one of them but I am just saying!

Oh, but I have used more than 8 effects on one channel before.

Is there something special about podium's freeze method or is this just the first time you've heard of a feature that 90% of hosts have had for a while?

Nothing special about it. Right now it's just "click and record" to bounce a track in real-time. But in the near future it will become better, as in not real-time.

...what the hell are you talking about?

I quote this because I'm responding to your entire post, Zoola. First of all, Steinberg is a very well established company and therefor there's not much evolution in their products currently. But right now Podium is new and it will get MUCH MUCH better in the future and it will get better very quickly. One thing I look forward to is the ability to use vst midi effects (VSTs controlling VSTs and VSTs controlling incoming MIDI). Cubase will not support this nor I doubt we will see an update ANY time soon. Now since Podium is new (I'm being redundant, yes) I will be able to request features that have a GOOD chance of being added unlike Cubase. Now, Steinberg limits you purposely because I didn't have enough money to buy Cubase SX which still imposes limits, who knows why. But Podium will never waste programming lines to impose limits. Limits are just plain stupid. :x

ONE LAST POINT TO BLOW EVERYTHING AWAY!: I have Cubase SL and Cubase SX is $300 upgrade. Podium is $90. Come on, Zoola... come on... just do the math... 8) I could sell Cubase SL and get enough money to pay for Podium and have some money left over.

And Cubase has a freeze option; its right next to each of the VST instrument names on the selector.

I know. I'm just saying Podium can bounce tracks. I really like that.

Might it have a score/notation view? (most likely not, but I'll definitely give this a shot if it does)

Naa, what do you use notation for? Most of us are electronic artists.

Yep. Cubase is the only host/sequencer that I know that imposes limits. I've wanted to use more than 4 group effects (which is the limit of Cubase SL) to do some complex and convenient routings, but I was limited. :roll:

Yep. Cubase is the only host/sequencer that I know that imposes limits. I've wanted to use more than 4 group effects (which is the limit of Cubase SL) to do some complex and convenient routings, but I was limited. :roll:

Sorry but, then you have no right to complain.

Cubase SL has these limits for a reason. If you'd suffled out a bit more then you'd have gotten a tool that has no limits on groups or complex routing. I mean...you took researches, bugged us with questions what to get and if this tools suits your needs, etc.

Or maybe you're just spoiled with the possibilities you have lately. I still use VST5 on my laptop from time to time and you know what? 4 send channels, 8 VSTi racks, still 8 inserts per channel. You think tracks from the 70ies and 80ies were made any different? I have to remind you that there was still hardware only involved and routing was way more difficult than it is now.

And the keywords is: Multieffect Module

With this you can use more than 8 Insert effects.

On the other hand... I barely used more than 6 insert effects either. 7 at the most. And like already mentioned... there're still send effects. And compared to elder tools - you can not only use one alone in the send channel, but you can make a send effect with 8 subeffects.

First of all, Steinberg is a very well established company and therefor there's not much evolution in their products currently. But right now Podium is new and it will get MUCH MUCH better in the future and it will get better very quickly. One thing I look forward to is the ability to use vst midi effects (VSTs controlling VSTs and VSTs controlling incoming MIDI). Cubase will not support this nor I doubt we will see an update ANY time soon.

Er... wrong... totally wrong.

Cubase SX uses MIDI insert effects since SX1 (same with SL). A bit more difficult with a couple of tools since VST5, but it uses MIDI insert effects tohave an arpeggiator for example, pitchshifter, automatic input transformer/filter, logial editor, etc. On the other hand. Cubase can also let VSTi's (not VSTs, you seem to not understand the differences yet) control other VSTi's. That can be done with the freely routable input/output of the MIDI tracks.

So you see... Cubase has everything of this already. Then why change to a tool that's still lacking these implementations and, even with upgrades, will be far from what Cubase already has to offer.

Another thing you don't seem to know (yet):

At the Steinberg boards, there's already SX4 announced. Not official, but the programmers answered to a question regarding further upgrades (literally) "we won't workon SX3.1 anymore but on a newer version", which implies that SX4 is coming up fairly soon. Don't imply something that isn't true, Argitoth. Steinberg may be slow in terms of new features and bugfixes, support may be crappy as hell - but they're not sitting on their hands doing nothing.

All in all... Cubase is everything, but definitly not non-intuitive. At least in my opinion.

Er... wrong... totally wrong.

Cubase SX uses MIDI insert effects since SX1 (same with SL). A bit more difficult with a couple of tools since VST5, but it uses MIDI insert effects tohave an arpeggiator for example, pitchshifter, automatic input transformer/filter, logial editor, etc. On the other hand. Cubase can also let VSTi's (not VSTs, you seem to not understand the differences yet) control other VSTi's. That can be done with the freely routable input/output of the MIDI tracks.

Compyfox, when I say "support for midi VSTs" I mean support for devices outside of Cubase. There are a good number of cool midi VSTs out there that will not work with Cubase or Podium. Podium will support it in the future. Plus, upgrading for Cubase SL3 to SX4 is still going to be at least $300. Podium will have had many updates by the time Cubase 4 comes out.

Anyway, there are already people using Podium that have used Cubase already. Just read the reviews. Even on the forums of Podium there are many "converts", those who've been using other programs and now use Podium.

Compyfox, when I say "support for midi VSTs" I mean support for devices outside of Cubase. There are a good number of cool midi VSTs out there that will not work with Cubase or Podium. Podium will support it in the future.

Enlighten us... What do you mean by MIDI VSTs that don't work with Cubase? Please name a few. I'm very curious about that myself.

On the other hand "MIDI VSTs" don't exist. You could mean "VSTs controlable by MIDI", which is a completely different issue. VST plugins are audio effects - and they can be "controlled" by MIDI (for example wet/dry ratio of a reverb). If we're talking about MIDI plugins, we talk about tools like arpeggiators, step sequencer, etc. And those are "basicly" VSTi's (aka instruments). Unless they're engine internal. Then they're really MIDI plugins.

Please don't shuffle that.

Plus, upgrading for Cubase SL3 to SX4 is still going to be at least $300. Podium will have had many updates by the time Cubase 4 comes out.

You're sure of that? Can you tell the future? If so, what's the lottery numbers for tomorrow? I could need some money.

But joke aside... If you don`t like Cubase, then why did you get it in the first place? I personally see no reason to "switch". Well only because of two things, but this is stuff I rarely use:

1) No Convolution Reverb

2) Crappy support - which isn't really a reason to switch

SX4 is announced for a couple of months now. Musikmesse 2006 is coming up end of march too. For Steinberg are working a couple of programmers, for Podium however only one person. What do you think is finished sooner?

Else I don't really see a reason for this mumbo jumbo that Cubase "sucks bawlz" (literally). Steinberg is and will still set set standards! Without Steinberg no VST technology. Without VST technology no software instruments/effect plugins. Therefore... nothing of what we're used to now that makes the live a bit easier in terms of production and engineering. No matter if it's for starters, or professionals.

Steinberg will not lower the upgrade price when they bring out a new version. (The upgrade price from SL to SX is $300) If they were changing the price at all it would certainly go up, not down. And yes, I'm talking about midi plugins. I guess they are not VSTs. But like I said Cubase does not support it and Podium will. I have given you reasons why I would want to use Podium, you don't have to tell me how great Cubase is.

I'm raising awareness about Podium because it looks really great. I wanted other people to know about it. That's it.

Compyfox, do you know anything about Cubase 4?

Sure I know about CUbase 4, but I will go in depth about that later. Still I wait for your examples of your so called MIDI plugins that won't work in Cubase. Before you don't do that, I don't believe it.

To be short: I want proof.

And yeah:

DXi, RTAS and AU is a different thing. But AU is based upon the VSTi engine, however mac related (later VST for mac was developed, but this is an other issue) and DXi was a sideproduct from DirectX, which used a similar technology than VST, but had a different header. RTAS is an own language by ProTools though - that's why not so much is existing. It was first aimed at hardware accelerated systems before they moved into a native system basis.

I'll go in depth about that later. Don't have time atm.

here are some midi plugins:

http://www.midiplugins.com/

http://www.tobybear.de/p_midibag.html

Look what I found:

"MFX (or MIDI FX) is a part of the DirectX music specification that allows for the processing of MIDI data. All recent Cakewalk products (SONAR, Project5, Home Studio, etc) can use MFX plugins, and recent Cubase (SX/SL) offerings can use them through a wrapper provided by Steinberg." http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

uhh... well ok, but where's the wrapper?

Okay, now that I have the time to answer a couple of things, I'll do so.

Steinberg will not lower the upgrade price when they bring out a new version. (The upgrade price from SL to SX is $300) If they were changing the price at all it would certainly go up, not down.

So what? That's happening with other tools too. You chose to go the SL way and now you complain that SL is not good enough for you. You did researches, you said you will totally own this tool, that you read the manual and stuff, and now you say that this thing is limiting and not what you expected.

Again the question: Why get it in the first place then?

And yes, I'm talking about midi plugins. I guess they are not VSTs. But like I said Cubase does not support it and Podium will. I have given you reasons why I would want to use Podium, you don't have to tell me how great Cubase is.

There are no "pure MIDI plugins". They work on a specific base, else they're MIDI tools (standalone). So they have a certain format (VSTi, DXi, MFX, Au, RTAS). VST Plugins however are a totally different world, like already mentioned.

And I don't tell you how "great" Cubase is. I just remind you of what Cubase is capable of that you seemed to have forgotten. Please... Before you compare something, do not imply something that isn't true and covered in feature lists.

Compyfox, do you know anything about Cubase 4?

Yeah I know what Cubase 4 is.

Cubase 4 (pack) is an all in one recording solution for beginners. Cubase 4 once consisted of a recording device and Cubasis (Audio). Now it constists of a special Cubase SL or SE version and there're more limitations given of course. However the price is fair for what you get.

If you consider getting it instead of SL, you have to keep in mind that this would be a downgrade for you rather than an upgrade.

here are some midi plugins:

http://www.midiplugins.com/

Oh yeah... this sure is old stuff. I barely touched them (cause I didn't need anything of that so far), but I know from a couple of friends that those either work as "VSTi" or MIDI inserts in the inspector of Cubase SX (inspector, MIDI dropdown menu).

So it's not true that they don't work.

As user of Tobybear Plugins I can also confirm that those work in Cubase SX/SL since SX1 or SX2. Don't know anymore. They don't work in VST3.7 and VST5 however. But since SX is out, we're not talking about them anymore.

As with the other plugins, they either work as MIDI inserts, or VSTi that can be later routed how you want them to be with the input/output selector (MIDI) in the inspector of your MIDI channel.

So it's also not true that they don't work.

Look what I found:

"MFX (or MIDI FX) is a part of the DirectX music specification that allows for the processing of MIDI data. All recent Cakewalk products (SONAR, Project5, Home Studio, etc) can use MFX plugins, and recent Cubase (SX/SL) offerings can use them through a wrapper provided by Steinberg." http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

Well if you're talking about MFX plugins, this is a totally own issue. MFX plugins are Cakewalk internal plugins. Like Cubase has their own internal effects/plugins/VSTi that only work with Cubase only, or the Generators and FX from Fruity Loops can only work with Fruity Loops - MFX only works with Cakewalk Products. Basicly Cakewalk Sonar.

The MFX Wrapper you're talking about worked on Cubase SX(1) only if I can still remember. You might be lucky that this still works with later versions but it didn't work for me (SX3), neither was I in need of MFX plugins from Sonar. So I can't go really in depth.

uhh... well ok, but where's the wrapper?

Still getting the MFX Wrapper is a bit tricky however and takes a lot of researches and time. Not to mention that this thing is simply discontinued (nobody was really interested). The Steinberg FTP still has this somewhere, but to spare you from searching I simply uploaded that thing. Included is a quick manual too.

MFX Plugin (for SX1)

The rest is trial and error. Don't be upset if it's not working for you. But those mentioned MIDI plugins do definitly work. If there're users at KVR who're not happy about Cubase and want to switch to Podium due to those simple reasons, they simply don't know how to use it. And sorry to say this, but yourself included Argitoth.

The ability to use midi plugins is not a selling point... not now anyway. I would never switch to Podium just because of that reason. Also, by Cubase 4 I meant the new version of Cubase SL/SX... like Cubase SX4 since you said it was coming out I wanted to know if you knew any features that are planned. I'm not switching to Podium any time soon, I don't have the resources to do it.

If there're users at KVR who're not happy about Cubase and want to switch to Podium due to those simple reasons, they simply don't know how to use it. And sorry to say this, but yourself included Argitoth.

There are none, including myself, switching to Podium for this reason. I'm not even switching. It's the interface, the fact that it's a very stable program, the customer support, the fact that you can request features, things like that. That is why people are using Podium. Plus, Midi plugin support is not implented yet. To switch to Podium for that reason is... dumb?

The ability to use midi plugins is not a selling point... not now anyway. I would never switch to Podium just because of that reason. Also, by Cubase 4 I meant the new version of Cubase SL/SX... like Cubase SX4 since you said it was coming out I wanted to know if you knew any features that are planned.

Then you should have made that clear. There's more than just "Cubase" out, you know? And no, no relevant informations about SX4 out yet. Only requests by users. If that will ever take fruit is another thing.

There are none, including myself, switching to Podium for this reason. I'm not even switching. It's the interface, the fact that it's a very stable program, the customer support, the fact that you can request features, things like that. That is why people are using Podium. Plus, Midi plugin support is not implented yet. To switch to Podium for that reason is... dumb?

Wait wait wait wait!

Even in your first post you wrote that you might change to Podium. Then why all this rukus?!

Wait wait wait wait!

Even in your first post you wrote that you might change to Podium. Then why all this rukus?!

Yes, I would like to. But... I can't. It's another $90 I just don't have and I'd have to sell Cubase to get the money. And I can't do that because I need rewire support. Podium is *trying* to get ReWire at this moment, but Props noobs aren't responding. And I would LOVE to get rid of Reason so I don't even have to depend on ReWire, but I need things to replace Reason before I get rid of it: like a sampler such as Kontakt, and a drum machine such as Guru. I plan on buying Guru this year.

But at the end of the day, for me, the only selling point for Podium is its low price because I'd pretty much be happy with SX3. :wink: But then, I still am really interested in Podium.