OCR00386 - Chrono Trigger "No Time"

Saunders

Chrono Trigger 'No Time'

This mix of Time Circuits starts off with some lonely sounding piano, but is joined quickly by background percussion and backing piano, which is soon joined by guitar. The guitar playing is sort of twangy, almost plucky sounding. I especially liked the bit that starts about 10 seconds before the end of the song. This mix is in a more laid back style than most of the “Zeal Theme” mixes here at OC I think. Really well done tune overall, impressive playing, which is to be expected from jaxx really. 3/5

• 1 month later...

There's a million Zeal Theme songs on OCR, but I've got to say that I like them all. The guitar was really clean, something that I don't think is heard that often here, more of a dirty style is more often played in songs remixed. Something different, definately a nice mix.

• 1 year later...

I must say that I'm a little surprised that a remix by JAXX, and one from Chrono Trigger no less, has been so largely ignored by the general public. I mean, this kind of combination is just bound to be an instant classic. I think that, by now, JAXX has become synonymous with awesome guitar playing, right up there along with Ailsean and zyko. Normally though, JAXX would go the punk-rock route, but this time he opts for a calmer, more subdued style. I think this mix does a good job of showing his versatility and proving that he's not just a one-trick punk-pony. Of course, as a pianist, I would've wished that he'd change up the piano part once in a while, as it starts to get a bit monotonous after a while, but in general this is still a solid mix that shouldn't be missed. It's become fairly old now, but it's still well worth checking out for any Chrono Trigger fan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How many Zeal mixes EXCISTS? If someone complained that there are alot Schala mixes would think again. However, as long as they´re good and not an attempt to make a proof that they can do a funny mix, I shouldn´t really care.

Ah, here we go. Very nice done of senior JAXX that has combined a wonderful piano with a cool electric bass...guitar?...anyway. I like it, I´m gonna download it, but I still cannot believe this is a 4 years old remix that´s great and that only has 4 reviews, 5 me included. Come on people, we must pull up our socks here.

Great done JAXX.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just stumbled across this on my way around the site and ... I love it! Its just one of those pieces that you can chill out to, close your eyes, tap your fingers and enjoy it. Thats what music is about, right? getting enjoyment out of a piece, and this is what this remix does for me. Thumbs up, JAXX. I dont care how many years old a mix is, this is damned good and needs recognition. Thanks for making my playlist a little more enjoyable n_n

• 6 months later...

It's funny. I know this theme, it's practically engraved on my bones. But something about the clean guitar, it makes this mix sound different from the countless other Zeal tunes. The playing is nuanced and emotive. Thank you, JAXX, for bringing us such a pleasing, succinct composition.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Though the instrumentation and general feel of the song remain unchanged, there is a very emotive quality to Jaxx's guitar playing that gives a more human face to the remix. Going from the original melody to more free-flowing sections of interpretation is very nice, and though I'd have proffered a rhythmic change up in there somewhere, it's a seemingly overlooked mix, possibly buried underneath all the other Chrono Trigger mixes.

Recommended.

• 1 year later...

It's a very good mix, it does sound dated but that gives it a very nice feel in my opinion. I Can see how it is overlooked though, it doesn't stand out on anything but an attentive listen when compared to the other Zeal remixes. Still, I think that the execution and concept were great, and the playing spot-on for what this piece needed.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The piano remains static throughout the mix, which I have to say is a big detractor from the overall piece. I wish there'd been a little more change-ups in both the piano and the drums (hi hat sound is a little annoying after a while).

The guitar playing, however, is quite nice, and I love the improvisation going on over the chord structure. The melody is never too far behind, so there's always the Zeal feel (ha, rhyming) while providing some interesting new material.

I feel like this one had a good start, but the lack of change in the background is unfortunately a pretty big flaw in this. The guitar does a good job of redeeming the mix, though, and is worth a listen.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00386 - Chrono Trigger "No Time"