OCR01458 - Chrono Trigger "The Place We Knew"

djpretzel

So this had to be titled to get on OCR, but why didn't the project version get the same treatment? Though 'To Far Away Times' has a good ending ring, I suppose.

Acting as the ending credits solo piece, the rendition of To Far Away Times is a great piece. Despite my listening to it far too many times before the project's release, it still has a freshness in its composition, lyrics, and singing. A great collaboration from Reuben Kee, pixietricks and Claado Shou.

Oh my goodness...I just don't know what to say...the minute I saw pixietricks and Reuben Kee's names I knew I had to download this mix. And I am so glad I did. It's just too beautiful, no, I'm serious, it's something we can all connect to, whether it be about missing somebody, regretting a break-up, or simply going through a dark time without friends whom you wish were back here with you...The message in this song is universal partnered with a beautiful piano, just like the song Imagine by John Lennon. Yup, I think this piece will last a long time, too. Heh, it makes me want to release a vocal mix too, haha, though I think this set the bar EXTREMELY high. Thank you. Thank you pixietricks and Reuben. You two are a match made in remixing heaven ^_^ and I think I have little more to do than twiddle my thumbs while waiting for you two to release another remix together. Keep at it. <3

So, as much as I adore Jill's work, I don't know exactly how to feel about this one. Her vocals are exceptional, as always, but this song never really goes anywhere. I never thought to myself, "Hey this is that cool part!" It was more like, "Hey, this is the part where she sings in Japanese."

It's hard to critique this song. It's such a beautiful piece but I just simply don't enjoy listening to it that much. Maybe it's the Japanese? Maybe it's the lack of any sort of solo? Maybe it's the fact that it just sounds like five verses all with the same melody? Maybe it's also the fact that it's very lyrically driven and lyrics aren't really my bag?

Point is: regardless of my own personal feelings, this is a great mix.

Somehow it gets annoying if you think about the fact that there are many remixes of this peculiar track, but I can't really argue there, I still almost think that the original is best. This, however, may make me change my mind. As usual, I'm a big fan of piano remixes, and since Reuben Kee has amazed me before, something similiat might happen again. The beginning is very beautiful, the very careful prelude is very characteristic. Reuben kept the tempoquite steady, he was going on a certain pace, but there was many moments where he speeded up the process, like at 1:30 when it suddenly started to pick up some steam and then cool off later on. It wasn't really much advanced play, it was calm, beautiful, and simple, not many tones and keys that wanted to fit in the same sequence at the same time. I think beautiful, calm and simple may be the words that I think of when I hear this, very nice work of Reuben.

And of course, let's not forget pixietricks. I was happy that I actually could understand the words, since her other remix she collabed in was in japanese (I think). The lyrics switched between english and japanese quite often, I'll just presume and hopes it's same content in both of them. Pixie handles this job well, no problems in picking up tones and her voice just floats smooth and clean through the entire arrangement. Excellent performance, excellent indeed.

This might just be an ANOTHER Chrono trigger remix, but just make an exception this time and listen to it, it's clearly worth it. :wink:

Oh my goodness...I just don't know what to say...the minute I saw pixietricks and Reuben Kee's names I knew I had to download this mix.

Pixietricks has contributed to an another remix in the project too. Maybe you should check it out.

:?: Something feels wrong about this song.. The music is excellent.. the lyrics are wonderful.. but the rythm of the lyrics at parts completely seems to disrupt the flow of the song like parts when she suddenly punts 2 syllables into a single beat, they could be extended a bit and still sound good.. or even start some of the lines a few beats early so that they don't have the collapse feeling. hmm..

Anyway overall

Song: Excellent

Lyrics: Wonderbug

Quite excellent work.

I've had this track for quite a while (since I found out about Chrono Symphonic in fact. (I actually found out about it because of PixieTricks vocals on another piece.) About the double syllable, I agree, "faded" could of been drug out aother half second. Overall an excellent mix, certainly part of my night tracks playlist.

And to emperor_sauzer or OCR sucks forever or whatever he is calling himself, please do not post.

Let's pinpoint a couple of the problem sections.

dokoka/kotta hara no mukou, atashi/mijimesa musabi/shiteta dokoro ni

pixietricks might be well advised to take an out here. One of the tricks I learned in speaking Japanese is that you don't need to pronounce that "h" sound in when it follows another vowel sound. Thus, you don't need to take that extra breath to produce the sound, which might allow the singer to condense the two sounds into the melody. Effectively, the pronunciation might be: "ko-tah-lah", all in one smooth set.

And as the shadow dawns upon us/All I seem to think about is/Where our hope has faded away/Into

"Faded" here seems crammed into the melody. I don't know how to fix this, since I don't actually know what the problem is musically, but I can say that I don't understand why the last word "Into" flows so poorly in terms of meaning into the next line (which is only coincidentally in Japanese). Could this be part of the problem?

In all, I love the piano and the way the singer's voice interacts with it, and I like the lyrics and the singer separately, but I think the lyrics could use some tweaking. I really like this remix, and I think it could definitely be improved by going over the lyrics, figuring out where the singer is having trouble, and adjusting them to suit. It could just be a matter of rearranging a few notes here and there: there is quite obviously talent at work here.

Let's pinpoint a couple of the problem sections.
dokoka/kotta hara no mukou, atashi/mijimesa musabi/shiteta dokoro ni

pixietricks might be well advised to take an out here. One of the tricks I learned in speaking Japanese is that you don't need to pronounce that "h" sound in when it follows another vowel sound. Thus, you don't need to take that extra breath to produce the sound, which might allow the singer to condense the two sounds into the melody. Effectively, the pronunciation might be: "ko-tah-lah", all in one smooth set.

That's what i heard :cry:

It sounded like pretty good japanese to me. I liked the switch. It adds color to "the beaten path" where there previously was none. I have trouble understanding why this is such an issue for some people. (It's probablly the same people who freak out whenever there's a tempo change or mood change. ) Variety is good!!!

I like the piece, and Jill always has a nice voice, but as someone said earlier, it doesn't really get anywhere. I think for me the problem stems in that the lyrics are so repetitious, even when translated into Japanese. The mood set by the first verse could be continued with a new verse that's equally as beautiful and full of imagery, but it isn't.

Piano is excellent as well, and the ritards/accels were quite well done, as is expected of Reu. I enjoy the simplistic arrangement of it which gives the vocals the ability to shine.

Good work to all.

A week and a half of engineering went into this. Most of the time for the vocals alone. And I have to say this is one of my best engineerings so far. Would have loved to have move vocal takes for some better mixing possibilities, but this does the trick too.

I especially like Reubens Piano part. I tried to get a MIDI for it (engineering issues, etc) but it was played live, so there was this particular recording only. Very impressive. I had some issues with the japanese vocals however, but overall a great performance, very dynamic.

All in all it's an excellent song that not only represents Chrono Symphonic.

And to those of you who liked the orchestra version of "To Far Away Times" (as it is called on Chrono Symphonic), maybe you'll like the remastered version on the upcoming Special Edition of Chrono Symphonic, too.

I think from a mixing standpoint, this is a crystal clearand lovely example of how piano and vocals should be placed.

As far as the material itself goes, the piano and singin is top drawer, as anyone who has followed Pixietricks' and Ruebens music before.

Technique: there are a few parts in the arrangment where the rhythm and vocals do not work as well, but it is to be expected on an arrangement like this, where it isnt actually performed in the same room.

Compy Fox, you did a wonderful job mixing this,

Reuben, Great Piano and arranging, and Pixie, some really great singing.

If there was any worry that Chrono trigger as source material was a dead subject, this mix Superbly demonstrates that, as a certain flamboyant vampire once said, "there's life in these old Bones yet!"

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01458 - Chrono Trigger "The Place We Knew"