OCR01458 - Chrono Trigger "The Place We Knew"

djpretzel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very very lovely stuff here. Reuben does all sorts of neat piano things (that I've seen. He could be leading some sort of huge underground death metal movement for all I know). Piano work is nice, I also like your mixes from animeremix.org. And Pixietrixes's's's singing is gorgeous. I don't speak Japanese, so she could be telling me to eat poo and kill myself, and I wouldn't be the wiser. It's still mighty pretty to hear, regardless of what she's saying.

Good work, you two.

• 1 month later...

I'll be truthfull, I don't like this version of the song. Mostly the lyrics, especially the Japanese part. The vocalist isn't very good at singing in Japanese.

Also, she speeds up at some parts and seems to leave the piano in the dust, and completely loses the feeling of the song. But im biased, I believe this song shouldn't have lyrics at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm becoming a fan pixie ... this song is absolutely perfect to me in every mAnner

Reuben's piano play is peerless, pixie's voice make me shiver nearly cry and i didn't expect her to sing in japanese ... the accent mite not be perfect but this never gets in the way of loving that ... and well all chrono players know that tune and many like it ...

In 3 Words

THAT WAS AMAZING

• 3 months later...

So I know my comment isn't going to be original, but I do feel the need to add it.

This remix is the kind of thing I wish I could do: really great musical backgrounds with emotive singing.

However, the Japanese really, really ruined it for me. Yeah, I said it wasn't original, didn't I? Whoever said the pronunciation didn't bother them surprises me; it was driving me nuts the whole time; I even went to fetch headphones to make sure it wasn't my terrible speakers doing something. It wasn't. =( The translation, also, does leave something to be desired. My Japanese isn't nearly perfect, but that's the kind of thing I'd proofread with a Japanese native-speaking friend before recording.

Now, I'm not saying that my Japanese singing pronunciation is perfect or that my voice is as good as Jill's - because neither is true - but I also think that it is generally best for one to not attempt large amounts of singing in a language one does not pronounce very well. This I say also coming from a choral background. It drove me crazy when we sang Japanese songs in choir, because the pronunciation was so bad I had to laugh in order not to be annoyed out of my mind when I was supposed to be singing.

That's not all that's weird with the vocals; the timing even in the English feels... wrong. I'm not even talking about the tempo separations, I'm talking about syllables that feel poorly placed, musically.

Personally, I'd love to see this song rerecorded without the Japanese, and with a bit more attention paid to the timing. Until the Japanese came in, I was really enjoying myself listening to it, but it was so jarring that it really shattered my enjoyment. :-/

Disclaimer: I make no claims to be able to do better at anything I criticize above, and I mean my criticisms to be constructive. If anything comes across sounding mean or personal, I don't mean it that way at all and I apologize.

• 1 month later...

This is certainly a beautiful song, Pixie and Reuben. The lyrics are great and I love the very "end credits" feel of the song. My only real criticism is over the Japanese lyrics. I wonder if it was really necessary to repeat the lyrics in Japanese? I just feel that they don't really add to the song, they feel like they're just there to fill in the song.

Other than that, I love the song!

FYI, the reason we did the lyrics half in Japanese is that Claado Shou (the director of Chrono Symphonic) thought it would be a nice tribute to the composers and makers of the game. Especially since it was the "credits" track for the movie script - that kind of thing is done a lot in foreign films. It wasn't my decision, but I think the thought was nice.

Also, semer (if you ever read this)... I studied Japanese for over 2 years and used it in Japan to great success. Unfortunately, half of those studies came *after* the song was recorded, hehe. The English lyrics were written by Claado, and the translation into Japanese was done by EvilHead (a member of the forums here who teaches English in Japan). He told me my pronounciation was next to perfect... Oh well.

There are times that I wish we could redo this song, especially given the nature of the collab. Reuben recorded the piano *before* I sang for it, so all the timing issues are a result of trying to follow his lead with tempo and inflection when we weren't ever together in the same room. Just doesn't work; the pianist is supposed to watch the singer in live performance. But I'm still glad to have it in my OCR repertoire. Thankfully not everyone out there is an otaku nut, and can at least be touched by the music itself.

• 2 years later...

This is probably the only song from Chrono Symphonic that I still listen to regularly, it's brimming with emotion and life unlike a lot of other songs on that album, which felt like a good effort but not very inspired. This is extraordinarily beautiful, I love how Reuben's flowing, rolling piano seems to intensify or slow down at the most opportune moments to accentuate the voice.

Really stunning, this is a monumental remix for both parties involved and I still cannot find fault with it.

• 10 months later...

This is such a beautiful song, but now it has a bit of a sad angle to it to me due to Kee being gone :-( .

Reuben does a good job with his accompaniment to Jill's singing, providing a nice duet. The song has some emotion to it, exuding gentleness and a shared wonder at what has happened to the joy-filled past.

It's sad that Reuben isn't here to see who he has touched with his music, and I pray that he is in a better place :-( .

• 1 month later...

I never understood all the controversy about this song. It's BEAUTIFUL, one of my all-time faves on OCR. This degree of emotion and expressiveness are rarely heard on the site, even today. I can't comment on the accuracy of the Japanese, but if one can appreciate beautiful Japanese songs with mangled English portions (Zone of Enders, anyone?), then why not the other way around? Aurally, I don't find the switch jarring at all, but rather a pleasant surprise. Bravo to Reuben and Jill for a terrific mix.

• 2 years later...

This song had me thinking it was going in a different direction until the singing finally came in.

This is great, the piano performances here are magnificent, and the japanese singing didn't sound awkward at all.

The lyrics are so beautiful, and fit the melody very well. To be honest I can't even remember the source, but what you did here works so well.

Easily a classic CT remix. Can't say much about this - it's just awesome.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01458 - Chrono Trigger "The Place We Knew"
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...