Recording with E-MU 1212m & Patchmix DSP

Drack

I do not know whether this topic should be in Remixing or in Technical Assistance & Newbies. Move it if necessary.

I have not been able to get a signal in my sound recording programs from my E-MU 1212m's inputs. I know that the problem lies in Patchmix DSP but I can't get it to work. E-MU's site has an answer for this but I can't get their solution to work.

I am only using the 1/4" analog ports. I have my mic and preamp hooked up into right (as opposed to left) input. When I play into the mic it moves the peak meter so I know the signal is being picked up. If I add a "Send" from Wave Out to Wave (ie loopback) it works great and my programs record whatever's coming out of the speakers. If I add the same "send" from IO Card in right (where I have the mic plugged in) to wave I get nothing.

Now this is quite hard to describe and my attempt has probably confused you so allow me to add pics:

nosig.JPG

This is my setup. The peak meter for the in shows that the card's getting the signal, and the peak meter for the out shows that I'm listening to music atm :)

If I move the send from the input to the wave, recording programs record the output (what I'm listening to) just fine. I don't understand why the same send doesn't work for the inputs?

Here's another weird thing I noticed. sndvol32 can't edit shit on this card.

nosig2.JPG

The only other device I can select is my onboard card, which has ok output but abysmal recording quality.

E-MU's solution is found here

I can't follow it because I don't have those options in my menus. Here is what I have for host outputs (rest of window unchanged from last screenshot):

nosig3.JPG

What's going on here? Anyone understand this software?

Hehe, I had the same problem. And no, I don't understand patchmix DSP, but the way I fixed it was merely by loading a different setting;

Click on the "new session" button at the top of patchmix. It's on the right-ish, right above "effect".

Select a session which allows recording, such as "stereo product default."

Hit ok, and you should be set.

omfg. worthless fucking forums. i just spent 45 fucking minutes writing a reply only to have it randomly log me out and lose everything.

god damnit.

FUCK.

anyways to sum this bullshit up

USE ASIO

suzy's patchmix dsp rulebook:

1) use ASIO

2) don't use windows sound settings

2) use ASIO

3) set up an ASIO output for your software's playback

4) put an ASIO send in your input's strip

5) set up your recording software for ASIO

6) also, use ASIO

sorry if this is brief but i don't have the time nor the patience to write all that bullshit again.

fuck phpBB. in the ass. piece of shit. GOD. IDIOT. orjdnhuoistdyh8935hy9EIT*()H(*eoiuthnuiefab89(&%Y*#YE*&HAIEUiudfniurg&*(#%#IABIFUbfie(&%*#&%G

anyways if you can't figure it out i'll try and help you when i get home (im at school now).

(p.s. I have an E-MU 1820M and i've gotten quite used to patchmix DSP. it can work wonders. i seriously suggest you learn to use it properly.)

Hehe, I had the same problem. And no, I don't understand patchmix DSP, but the way I fixed it was merely by loading a different setting

Seconded. Sound On Sound has a nice guide (albeit not available to people without eSub) on PatchMix - which I still should read. They also start with "load up a preset session".