Anodyne - Dreamscapes (Title Theme remix) - Seeking feedback!

Drakken

Chillout style remix of the title theme from Anodyne, a great indie Zelda-like.

Dreamscapes

Original track, for reference: http://seagaia.bandcamp.com/track/anodyne-2

Feedback welcome! It was never my intention to submit this to OCR (it was made for an offsite remix album), but I suppose I could if people feel it would be worthwhile.

Edited by Drakken

Phew.. where should i start ><

I love the Intro and your playing with clean and distorted Elements until 1:17. The transitions into the Drums could be more softer and to be honest i dont like the drums at all, but that is just my opinion. The synth from 2:03 until 2:25 gave me goosebumps. I like the soft hats you have used from 2:49 until 3:11. At the Section from 3:12 to 3:33 you could mess a bit with the Volume of the Drums and Percussion (For Example ascending and descending Volume).

Overall you have some very good Elements going and gave it your all to arrange alot of Variations to a very limited Source.

Intro was nice. Not really a fan of the PWM pads at 0:34. Their filters sound pretty cheap and thin, at least until the low pass comes in.

1:16 lead into the drums wasn't all that great. The 808 drums don't really work too well here. Soft acoustic drums might work better. 2:03 bells were OK, but I wasn't really "getting goosebumps", probably because they're a bit dry, thin, and bright.

2:26 drums weren't expected, and are too loud for the background instrumentation. 2:58 synth is low quality to me, especially after the weird pitch drop at 3:02.

3:12~3:33 felt stiff, especially in the drums. Very few humans play a kick drum like that. :| 3:12~4:16 didn't really have a direction. It was just drums, the PWM pad, and a bass, until 3:59 where there's the same bell from before. I couldn't tell if the bass was leading or the drums were just playing on their own.

I think you're missing a lot of instruments that could get you the mood you're going for, but it's getting there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're walking a fine line, dude. Super-muffled piano, clear and loud bass... in many ways, you're doing the opposite of the mix most people would. I think I get the aesthetic you're going for, I'm just not sure how to judge it.

Different sets of drums. Hm... I was already feeling like the drums were repetitive, but when you bring in a new kit just for variation it just feels lazy. I get the change you're going for, but it feels like a "my first track" kind of thing, where you're just throwing in new things for the heck of it. Your choice of aesthetic probably has a big effect on this. I don't think it's a bad idea, but there's something about how you did it that doesn't sit right with me.

Source is there, pretty much throughout, at least in the piano ostinato. It's like a vertical build where you're taking the source and adding stuff on top of it. Those added parts seem to be from source as well. With a minimal source like this, that's kind'a what you have to do if you don't chop it up into little pieces and turn it into one of my liberal, meandering messes. It all seems connected to the source, so no problem there. Aside from the issues I have with the drums, the track has a nice, slow groove and transition fine between parts. I think it works.

So I'd just complain about the drums. It's not like you should have super-intricate busy drums here, but it feels like the electronic drum kit is missing some life, and the raw ones are a bit too raw. The bass is a tad too loud, too, so you could fiddle with track levels too.

Nice groove, cool aesthetic, some sound design issues and some minor levels things. I like it.

--

btw, yes, just pm us if we're not doing stuff. I took a bit of a vacation from the board, and it seems the other mods did too. I check in for PMs and stuff regardless, so that tends to work to remind us we've got stuff to do here. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

Here's the new version:

http://soundcloud.com/drakken/anodyne-dreamscapes-title

Lots of tweaks:

-Level adjustments

-Added a subtle warm pad that I think fills things out a bit more

-Some more variety to the drum part and a bit more 'verb on the electronic drums

-Added reverb to the retro vocal pad at 2:58; not as harsh now

-Filtering/panning during the drums/bass change-up

-Speaking of which, added delayed bass in 2nd half

-Managed to get the overall level louder (I'm so terrible at this)