OCR02898 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Lost in Time' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Previous rejection / information: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39420

There's a new person on this song: XPRTNovice on Saxophone. Please include him as an artist if this gets posted.

I refined this submission a lot since the last one, basically restarting the project. In about 6 hours I re-sequenced the entire song, and about that time in the XPRTNovice found me in the WIP forums said he wanted to record a Saxophone over this piece. About 2 days later he gave me a few takes, and I rolled with this one. I took some more crits from the WIP forum, and this is the end result.

Huge thanks to XPRTNovice for pulling this off. The solo he put in really helps the piece a bunch, and the playing is absolutely gorgeous. If you're going to love anything about this song, it should be the Sax.

Funny but relevant note: I never played through Chrono Trigger when I started this song, so when you guys said this had Schala in it, I had no idea what you were talking about until I ran into the theme on Chrono Trigger DS. The similarities between the two are completely coincidental, but if you want to count that middle section as Schala, feel free to do so. :P

Thanks for listening!

Source:

(and possibly Schala if you wish to add that)

Remix: https://www.box.com/s/5xsbcof6358ht5qb78ku

Edited by djpretzel

Intro sounded pretty sweet. Liking the gliding lead at :15 and the gradual build. Indirectly channeling posu yan at :33 with the finger snaps. :lol:

The snare at :49 still sounded too plodding, IMO (a constant issue throughout the mix for me). Meanwhile at :49, the other supporting percussion and bassline sounded kind of marginalized. XPRTsax sounded pretty swanky from :49-1:22, hearkening back to "Time Chill".

Still diggin' the Schala-esque writing from 1:22 that was transitioned to very nicely. Nice build with the drums coming in from 1:39-1:55; subtle stuff that added a nice dimension to the background.

Good dropoff at 1:55 as well. The piano had more body, though some higher notes still strained for credibility as far as the realism; nonetheless, a huge improvement there. There was a very soft pop at 2:05 that you'd need headphones to pick out, but it was there.

Good build back up into Joe returning with the sax, which worked well in tandem with the Zeal background and Schala-esque stuff on top of that.

Sounded like the end at 3:45 came 4 notes early, so that made the finish sound a little odd, but that's not a huge deal in the big picture.

I'll say, while I think the mixing wasn't as clear as it should have been, and the drums really plodded, this is definitely a good step up in the overall execution. A good portion of that leap forward comes from Joe's involvement, but going beyond that, Aaron did a much better job giving better depth and realism to the instrumentation he employed, which filled in the soundscape nicely compared to the old version. This was a fuller, richer experience than before and safely gets it above the bar.

YES

• 1 month later...

Hmm. So this is a song that has been done many many times in a very similar style, so it's impossible not to compare this to previous remixes.

The groove and writing is a little bit simple compared to what's been heard, and sometimes lacks nuance. The piano breakdown does not work. The energy just dies. The sax is cool, but ultimately I just don't think this brings enough new ideas to the table for such a well-covered tune.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

For me the main issue is that there's an element of ploddageing along in the drum department, and the piano break was also not that effective. Joe however, has that magic touch. I think on balance, there are worse things on OCR for sure.

As someone who isn't overly familiar with the Chrono Trigger remixes on the site, I can't really dig that reasoning from Vig as legitimate as it may be. If you can find me a track that is incredibly similar to this one and link it I might be convinced but I'm not trawling them them all.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Classy snaps. [/vote]

Ahem, I mean...

Man, I pretty much play one instrument and Mr multi-talented Joe's sax sounds way more smexy than mine.

Strings have a nice delicate feel. Nice leads on the synths and saxophone. Reverbed bells are a nice touch behind Joe's ad libs.

Drums felt like the weak link here. The acoustic kit just doesn't have great presence - kick is pretty subby sounding without much mid-range/high end to it, snare tone is a bit dull.

Still, the good definitely outweighs the bad here.

YES

This song has been covered and rearranged more times than I've eaten pizza but there's so much potential in music to do something new and different. I haven't heard a remix of this song quite like this before and while it wasn't perfect, there was a lot to like. The sax is the key ingredient here, really setting it apart and adding a much needed live element, but the larger track is well put-together. I agree with Jesse that the piano breakdown was a little weak, but whatyagondo. Overall this was good.

YES